Protien Shake Before or After?

Ok so I am pretty new to MFP and also very new to workingout. I am about to go for my morining jog and would like to know if its better to drink my protien shake before of after my jog? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Replies

• welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    You are going to get different answers on that. Do you add anything to it other than protein powder? How long have you been up and have you eaten since you've been up?
  • I figured there would be many different answers. But ive been up for about 30 minutes and had a glass of water. I usually just use powder and 8oz of skim milk.
  • kerlyp
    kerlyp Posts: 11 Member
    No.......great example. When you work out in the morning without eating is like a frying pan with a pat of butter (fat). Having anything to eat or drink (Besides water) is like a frying pan with a piece of bread with the butter on top. You want to burn the fat and not what you just consumed. I hope this helps you.
  • Vaus2000
    Vaus2000 Posts: 16 Member
    You have to have some food for energy before a workout or you will bonk, thats an old school term. I'd eat a light breakfast of fruit and then the protien shake.
  • I don't think there is such a correct answer to this because people drink thier shakes, before or after morning exercise. I always drink my protein shake after exercise and it seems to be helping me lots, I lose energy while working out, then gain energy with a perfect glass of protein shake. If your hungry before your exercise then eat something really light like a toast bread, or an apple, orange, then after you come from your excerise you can drink up a really good shake :)... Good luck hope this information helps
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    I would not consume too much before you run in the morning. A full belly and running don't go together well. I have read a study saying you burn fat better not eating anything before you run. That does not work well for me (not enough energy to run). I usually eat about 1/2 a protein bar before and breakfast after.

You could have a couple sips of the shake before and finish it after???
  • Thank you for all of your help! Since I am not hungry, I think i will just go for my run and see how much energy I have afterwards. If I am really drained then next time I will try drinking 1/2 a protien shake before my run.
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    I figured there would be many different answers. But ive been up for about 30 minutes and had a glass of water. I usually just use powder and 8oz of skim milk.

It's obvious that what works for one person might or might not work for someone else. This is going to be one of those time you will have to try several different things.

I get on my elliptical as soon as I get up. Well, after I use the bathroom and put on my work out clothes and fill up my water bottle and turn on the DVR. :) So 10 minutes after I wake up. Then as soon as I'm done, I eat my first meal. I'm not a big shake person. Liquid makes me feel hungry.
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    PHD recommend their diet whey to be taken after exercise.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    AFTER. Don't eat anything before you go running unless it's about 3 hours before your run.