calories in pizza

Options
Trish1c
Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
If you get a slice & the pizzeria doesn't publish its nutrition info, how do you figure this out?

The place I go is local so it's not in the MFP list. I try to just pick the verified listing with the most calories & guestimate from there.

I'd love a better / more accurate solution.

Food isn't really my downfall as much as soda & alcohol so I few food calories aren't going to make or break my diet the way that 2nd glass of wine will.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Make your best educated guess.

Without the actual recipe on hand you aren't able to weigh each ingredient, log each ingredient, and then weigh your portion size......an educated guess is the best you can do.

Even when restaurants publish data......portions could be bigger, or ingredients substituted. Still not 100% accurate either.
  • CassondraKennedy
    CassondraKennedy Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I use chain restaurants to estimate. Try to get the size of the pizza and the thickness of the crust to match. If I can tell the pizza I'm eating has more cheese or pepperoni than the chain pizza, I'll add an extra 50 quick add calories to off set it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Trish1c wrote: »
    If you get a slice & the pizzeria doesn't publish its nutrition info, how do you figure this out?

The place I go is local so it's not in the MFP list. I try to just pick the verified listing with the most calories & guestimate from there.

Food isn't really my downfall as much as soda & alcohol so I few food calories aren't going to make or break my diet the way that 2nd glass of wine will.

If it's not in the database due to it being local, there is no more accurate way than what you're already doing.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I'd just choose an entry for a chain I was familiar with that had similar crust, toppings, etc. and go with that.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I just find something similar in the database. To be more accurate I suppose you could take a slice home and pick it apart and weigh everything and log it. It is probably close enough to another restaurant's pizza though.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    You can use the papa johns on-line nutrition calculator to build your own pizza and see what the calories would be. It won't be exactly the same, but it will be close.
  • Lennonluv2
    Lennonluv2 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Guess--timate and don't stress it too much you'll enjoy it less.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I just use the information from a chain restaurant that has similar pizza to what my local restaurant has. Use Domino's or Pizza Hut or Papa John's or Pizzeria Uno or California Pizza Kitchen or similar.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    if you are unsure, most pizza slices from chain stores are between 200-300 calories depending on toppings. More meat, the higher obviously. If you cant nail it down, if the size is the same 250 is a good ball park guess per slice.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    if you are unsure, most pizza slices from chain stores are between 200-300 calories depending on toppings. More meat, the higher obviously. If you cant nail it down, if the size is the same 250 is a good ball park guess per slice.

If the size is the same as what? 1/8 of a 16" pizza is almost twice the area of 1/8 of a 12" pizza, so it's not likely both will be between 200 and 300 calories (assuming same crust style and toppings). Plus, some places cut their pizzas into 12 slices, not 8.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options

If the size is the same as what? 1/8 of a 16" pizza is almost twice the area of 1/8 of a 12" pizza, so it's not likely both will be between 200 and 300 calories (assuming same crust style and toppings). Plus, some places cut their pizzas into 12 slices, not 8.

• jb050794
    jb050794 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Pizza Calories= Crust Thickness (cm) x Number of Pepperoni's on that bad boy, divided by Cheese (oz)^2
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options

That's basically my plan. My pizza place sometimes has unusual toppings. I'm strictly kosher, which means (among other things) that meat and dairy can't be combined on the same plate. The kosher pizza place I go to most often does a cheese and vegetarian pepperoni slice. I happen to know that there is only one brand of kosher vegetarian pepperoni easily available in the area. So, when I order the slice, I log it as plain cheese and then I add in the number of pieces of Yves imitation pepperoni that were on it.

They do a breaded cauliflower slice. Same idea. Plain cheese + (guesstimate) 1/4 cup breaded cauliflower. Mostly, I use Pizza Pizza's data for cheese and non-starchy veg toppings.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options

It sounds like you are already doing the best thing. The local places I order from tend to have larger NY style thin slices, and I've found several listings for a NY style cheese slices at about 300-500 calories, so depending on the size of my slice I go with one of those entries. I usually just get cheese but if I get toppings, sometimes I enter that separately. It's relatively easy to find a lot of the individual toppings and make an educated guess as to the amount. It's the cheese, sauce and crust that I think is the most difficult.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

As an unofficial frozen pizza expert in my town, I've found that crust thickness and amount of cheese play the biggest roles when it comes to calorie totals. Sometimes the cheese only is higher than a pepperoni version just because it has more cheese.

Like others said find a place that has a similar crust style and topping quantity and use their info.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    350 per slice is pretty common- but a whole frozen pizza is what 1700 and change?

so I divide that up into quarters and usually eat the whole thing- so that's what 425 a slice.

So- between 300-400 is a really safe bet.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I just guess. Pick an entry in mfp that seems close enough.
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Calorie wise around 300 is a good guess, but fat content can vary depending on toppings.
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    None. Pizza calories are free calories and should be consumed daily!

*joking! I use the closest thing I can find in the database.