Hip Bursitis? Anyone ever deal with this?

Options
tmoneyag99
tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
edited January 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Over the holidays I decided to go full tilt and purge our junk. I was standing 12hrs a day for about 10 days. It was exhausting and I'm not used to it (I have a desk job). The result ... Likely hip bursitis. ( according to Dr. Google but I'm getting an official diagnosis this week) I have been experiencing outer hip pain for the last 2 weeks. I got a massage and frankly I think it made things worse. I started taking the 800mg ibuprofren I was given for the flu and that seems to help considerably. the number one thing I see to heal it is to stay off of it and stop doing the activity that caused the pain in the 1st place... That was standing for me.

This is fairly demoralizing ATM to be honest. I wanted to really up the game to my workouts this week. Has anyone ever had to deal with this and if so were they able to eliminate the problem completely? If so what did you do? What suggestions do you have?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Rest until you have an actual diagnosis, and then just take it from there
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Standing for a 30-60 min workout is not the same as standing 12 hours straight while moving in ways you’re not used to. You could try a shorter or lighter workout. Focus on other moves besides the one that aggravates it the most. Learning to adapt to various life situations is part of this process. Bursitis is just inflammation, it’s not like you tore something that needs to repair itself.
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    mine started out of blue back in 2012.. parade of doctors, mri , xrays, injections and I still suffer from it. The current view is it is coming from the stenosis in my back and they want to try injections in that area.. good luck!
  • eptanubrata
    eptanubrata Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Rest until you have an actual diagnosis, and then just take it from there
    I second that you should wait for an actual diagnosis (either from imaging or a physical therapy assessment)
    Regardless of what the diagnosis is, I would highly recommend seeing a physical therapist. They can set you up with an appropriate rehab program and give you a better idea of what you should be doing and what you should avoid.
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I don't know what my hip pain is, I haven't seen a doc, but stretching really really alleviates the pain. Have you tried stretching?
  • marygraci999
    marygraci999 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    OMG!! I have it in both hips but I havent had a flare up in a very long time... Try Aquafit it helps me alot
  • dmloud
    dmloud Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have had bouts of bursitis. What really helped me were steroid/lidocaine injections. I agree with resting it until you get an actual diagnosis, though.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @tmoneyag99 When do you see the doc?

It could be trochanteric bursitis, but it can also be ITBS, (or medial glute strain, or TFL strain)...ect. Both are typically overuse injuries, I'm not sure standing would cause it, it is more likely that it aggravates it.

Rest. Ice. Stretch all you can tolerate. Strengthen your hips and core. And of course, see a doc or PT for insight.

Good luck!
  • miluti
    miluti Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I had bursitis in both hips after 6 days in Sweden; I was walking FAR more than I was used to. It took months for it to go away completely and I find my hip flexors are still quite tight. Stretching and yoga whenever you can handle it, and rest otherwise. If it's bad enough, you can get a cortisone shot (or similar) but it's not a great experience from what I've heard.
  • Alzzi76
    Alzzi76 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Yes!!... very painful and it won't go away. It has its different severity depending on my health level but three worst is when ive put on wrought and dont exercise much. It's a vicious circle. The more u excercise the better it is. The less u do the worse it is. But painful during excercise. I've had injections to help but havent lasted. I hope u find relief. There r stretches u can do. If u want i cant post them.
  • tmoneyag99
    edited January 2018
    Options

@Alzzi76 Yes please post. I have been trying to sit with my ankle across my thigh at work. Man it hurts. LOL

@Elise4270 My appointment is on Friday Morning.
  • raspuller
    raspuller Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I had it bilaterally last year. It was really awful. I was literally pulling myself up my stairs at night. Finally went to the doc (I’m stubborn). He gave me a shot which was AH-mazing for about two weeks until it wore off. Then he gave me meloxicam (similar to ibuprofen) and told me to go to PT. I didn’t take the meloxicam because I didn’t want to take a daily anti inflammatory and it takes weeks to build up. I did PT for about 6 months and it is 95% resolved. I still have a slight twinge in one hip that may or may not be bursitis.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I developed bursitis after a couple weeks on bedrest in the hospital. None of the fancy therapies helped. Mild, but consistent exercise, piriformis stretches, time, and patience.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Yes, I never got a shot, I rested it as much as I could and avoided the behaviour that set it off, use ice and heat and always stretch it and the surrounding muscle, and have it managed. I play a full contact sport that's hard on the legs and hips but surprisingly it was moving further away and commuting a busy freeway that had my driving leg constantly crooked and ready for action that kicked it off. Now I'm careful to be more relaxed with it and use cruise control wherever possible.
  • nitrox624
    nitrox624 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Been there done that. Had an issue with it training for a Marathon back in early 2015. After rest and round of anti-inflammatories I have never had the issue again. However I was told by my Dr which is also a runner that my form was probably off which caused the issue. Turns out that my stride length was way to long. Shorter stride and increased cadance.
  • Biggster69
    Biggster69 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I just got back from the doc, she diagnosed Trochanteric Bursitis. I had this pain for the last year hoping it would go away on its own. Have to take 600 mg Advil 3 times a day (hate it!) and do ice/heat packs, then specific exercises. If that doesn‘t help I‘ll get physical therapy. Good luck to you!
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,744 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I've been dealing with this for a while now. The doc has me on 400 mg of ibuprofen + 500 mg of tylenol a couple of times per day to help with inflammation and pain. I went to PT for two months, where I learned lots of stretching and balance exercises. I do the stretching every day before I get out of bed and it helps a lot. The massage part of the PT was painful and I wound up with tons of bruising, but the doctor said it is sometimes necessary to get deep into the tissue so there will be some capillaries breaking. It did help in the long run but it wasn't a normal, relaxing massage. I was also told to put a small pillow between my knees at night (I sleep on my side) to avoid over-stretching the hip. Good luck, it's a long journey.
  • tmoneyag99
    Options
    Biggster69 wrote: »
    I just got back from the doc, she diagnosed Trochanteric Bursitis. I had this pain for the last year hoping it would go away on its own. Have to take 600 mg Advil 3 times a day (hate it!) and do ice/heat packs, then specific exercises. If that doesn‘t help I‘ll get physical therapy. Good luck to you!

Just got back from the doctor and this is what I have. 800mg of ibuprofen for me and physical training.
  • Girlikecupcake
    Girlikecupcake Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with trochanteric bursitis in November, had 4 weeks of physical therapy, and I have 4 more weeks of home exercises before I'm allowed to really get back into the gym. I'd had pain for over a year, but it got really bad which was why I finally saw an orthopedist for it. I did also get steroid shots (one in each side) as I can't take NSAIDs.

Honestly, I'm using it as motivation to finally get back into the gym properly. I know losing weight will help overall, and I'm in less pain from both the shots and the PT.