Resolutioner Season

Options

Replies

• Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    LOL. Learned a long time ago those that feel the need to use a lot of words to make their point, usually don’t have one.

I learned to ignore *kitten*.

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    cyndit1 wrote: »
    Its just about that time of year soon where the gym is taken over by resolutioners. Although I am thrilled when new folks join the gym and want to improve their fitness and health, I get a kick out of the newbies that go all out for the first few times and then you never see them again. I know it only lasts a few months but I can't be the only one that cringes every January.

I don't. That means something went wrong for them. I'd much rather see them succeed and continue to be there regularly and enjoy it.

I don't (nor have I ever) give unsolicited advice, but there are times I'd like to chat with the new folks just for a bit of encouragement or helpful hints to keep them going.

When I was first starting at the gym something like what you suggested above would have sent me a way embarrassed never to return again
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    We all had a first day. Generally, it’s best to treat the new folks with kindness. It’s not up to we regulars to pass judgement on their worthiness to be there.

I did ask my gyms manager about the financial impact to New Years resolutionists. He didn’t have that number. But what he does know is that 15% of his annual revenue comes from people that buy and pay for a full year membership, and NEVER come back.

Welcome the new folks and wish them well. If nothing else, we all benefit from the incremental revenue.

Well to be fair nobody said be mean to them
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    My 88 year old father is making a New Years resolution to get into better shape. Navy Vet, pace maker, two replaced knees, cancer survivor and tough as hell. He asked me for help. Tomorrow I will buy him a membership at my gym and set him up with a trainer. Any of you New Years resolutionist haters have a problem with that?

God bless your father. If he doesn't mind post some progress pics.
  • RangeBoss
    RangeBoss Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks Packerjohn. Very proud of him. He’s got the heart of a lion.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I made the mistake of going to my gym last night after work, thinking that it wasn't very busy this weekend so it wouldn't be too bad during the week. I was totally wrong. I got there around 6:30 and it was an absolute MADHOUSE. I've never seen it like that. People practically on top of each other in the weights and lifting areas, and only a handful of free machines in the cardio area (at least 2 of which were out of order - I'd also note that neither of those machines was out of order when I was there over the weekend). There were so many people particularly in the free weights area that I felt it might actually not be safe to try to workout in that area.

So I guess until at least February I'll probably stick with working out at home during the week and gym on the weekends which even this past weekend was surprisingly not busy at all. If I had started going to the gym as a new years resolution like a lot of people and constantly had to workout in that kind of atmosphere, I'd give up too!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Funny- I went to my gym last Tuesday- It was surprisingly quiet.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't belong to a large commercial gym anymore, so I don't really have to worry about the crowds. When I did belong to a big commercial gym, I found the crowds to be a mild annoyance in the same way that I find large crowds anywhere to be annoying. But I was a noob once too and a resolutionist at that, so I always kept that in mind...many don't stick with it, but some of us do...
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    But I was a noob once too and a resolutionist at that, so I always kept that in mind...many don't stick with it, but some of us do...
    A resolutionist? Good for you! You're one of those rarities who stuck it out, and obviously a knowledgeable one.
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I've been working out from home a lot, since I'm still new enough at the gym (November) to be a bit foggy on the etiquette of when it's busy. I will go really early on the weekend because it's only me and the older people there at that hour. Regardless of the reason or time of year, I just don't enjoy a busy gym.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    murp4069 wrote: »
    I made the mistake of going to my gym last night after work, thinking that it wasn't very busy this weekend so it wouldn't be too bad during the week. I was totally wrong. I got there around 6:30 and it was an absolute MADHOUSE. I've never seen it like that. People practically on top of each other in the weights and lifting areas, and only a handful of free machines in the cardio area (at least 2 of which were out of order - I'd also note that neither of those machines was out of order when I was there over the weekend). There were so many people particularly in the free weights area that I felt it might actually not be safe to try to workout in that area.

So I guess until at least February I'll probably stick with working out at home during the week and gym on the weekends which even this past weekend was surprisingly not busy at all. If I had started going to the gym as a new years resolution like a lot of people and constantly had to workout in that kind of atmosphere, I'd give up too!
    I went to the gym after work last week and had the same experience. I have kids to get to so I can’t stand around waiting forever. Not only was all the equipment in use but there were a lot of people standing around waiting as well. The treadmills were even all in use. Sucks.
  • ashtree42
    ashtree42 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Really most gyms encourage this. So hate the manegment as well as the resolutioners. For years money was tight enough that gym membership was hard. In Nov-Dec when it got colder and it was harder to be active, I’d start looking for a gym. You typically save a ton by starting in Jan rather than oct-dec, so I would wait and make do with home workouts. And by Apr it’s easy to do fun stuff ouside to workout, so I’d save money my dropping the membership.

Also, I’ve moved a bunch of times and typically waited til it was cheaper to join. Aug and Jan were the months I found they waived fee the most. Saving $50-$100 on signup means I can buy more cake