Travelling For Work

Options
I’m in the process of releasing weight and have released the weight that I gained over Christmas. Now that I’m back on track with meal prep and water, I’m trying to plan ahead. At the end of the month I’m travelling to Toronto for a week for work. I will be staying in a hotel with no access to a stove but will have a fridge. It looks like we will be eating out a lot. Suggestions, ideas and tips appreciated! I usually eat five small meals throughout the day.

Replies

• temazur
    temazur Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm eager to hear suggestions on this one, too. Traveling for work is always something that derails me. Keeping mostly vegetarian (to clarify, no land meat, seafood is ok) when traveling helps me a lot, but I have to always consciously avoid the pitfalls of fried foods when doing that, because french fries are vegetarian. ;)

OP, if it helps, Toronto is a city that has a lot of healthy choices. But I know when traveling for work with other coworkers you aren't always in control of where you end up eating. :neutral:
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    If there is a fridge and you will be there for 5 days, go grocery shopping! Find a local store and buy some healthy snacks to keep in your fridge.

I went on a week-long vacation and bought some deli meat, yogurt, fruits, and veggies to keep in my hotel fridge. I would eat 1-2 meals/day out of my fridge. Plus you save a LOT of money not eating at a restaurant at every meal.
  • christinafoulkes
    christinafoulkes Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Our hotel isn’t by much so I’m thinking I should try to bring some things in my suitcase!
  • Jingsi84
    Jingsi84 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Try to find out where you are eating in advance so you can check out any menu/nutritional info. When you are out to eat, try to chose low calorie options like chicken with a side of veggies. Then log them as best as you can. You mentioned that you eat 5X per day. Is it possible to switch that up for a week? Because you may do better saving your calories for a couple of larger meals out with the team.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Many hotels have communal microwaves in a common area - especially if they have a continental breakfast or gift shop. This opens up a range of options - leftovers from dinner (awesome when you can turn a huge restaurant meal into 2-3 smaller portions), soup, frozen/refrigerated dinners, shelf-stable rice and beans or pasta. Call the front desk to see if they have any available before you go!

Continental breakfast in your hotel lobby can also give you the opportunity to grab something like fruit, yogurt, English muffins, instant oatmeal packets, cereal, peanut butter/jam/cream cheese, hard-boiled eggs. I often have toast or an E muffin with a sliced hard boiled egg or oatmeal with a little swirl of peanut butter, coffee, and grab an apple or something for a snack later. Usually under 200 calories, and has definitely saved me at conferences with heavy breakfast buffets and tables of snacks between each session.

By the end of the week, I'm usually sick of eating at restaurants - especially if you're in an area where the only options are casual chain or fast food restaurants - so it gets easier to stick with lower calorie options. The novelty wears off.
  • jhall260
    jhall260 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    A few tips that I have learned.

Eat salads and greens at meals - skip the dressing. Or put them on the side.
    Going to a burger place? Don't eat the bun. Or places like Red Robin offer this.

Or my least favorite and favorite place, Subway. I'm so sick of eating at Subway. But when at an airport I often get a 6" ham with no cheese loaded with veggies. I hate I just look at it as fuel =).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    Just learn to order things without cheese, with dressing on the side, without butter, (or on the side.)

Restaurants want to please you. It's easy to order a burger without bread and a side salad or side vegetables instead of fries. Stick with plain grilled meats and fish and sides of vegetables and/or salads with dressing on the side, then use 1/3 of the dressing.

For breakfasts skip the free buffet in the lobby unless it has eggs and meats and fruit and cheese. The donuts and pastries are the things that don't fill you up and are high calorie/low nutrition.
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Order the healthier foods, salads, grilled chicken, fish. Skip the starchy sides, extra veggies. Stock up on healthy snacks for the hotel, and log all you eat. Watch your portion sizes and you should be perfectly fine.
  • GinaLaw_
    GinaLaw_ Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I travel for work frequently and have the added joy of being gluten free. I had great luck in Toronto between grocery stores and restaurants. I'm happy to provide specifics.
    Below are some ideas for any work trip.
    Breakfast: Yogurt is available at most hotels or coffee shops; or bring oatmeal packets and fill with hot water from the hotel
    Snack: A piece of fresh fruit which you can find in a nearby grocery store and stock up for the week, no refrigeration required.
    Lunch: Opt for a salad with a protein. It's not super exciting but easy to find on most restaurant menus or at a conference buffet.
    Snack: Oloves, natural green pitted olives (available on Amazon) or a Fig & Walnut disk from Trader Joe's
    Dinner: My go to for portion control is to order off the appetizer menu for my meal.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,971 Member
    Options
    I try to order food that fits into my general eating trend - and unless it's a fancy restraunt with small portions, ask for a to-go box when you order your food - then, as soon as it arrives, divide the meal into two and put half of it in a box. Or, perhaps a coworker would be interested in splitting a meal.

Order veggies and green salads (dressing on side) as your sides. Avoid sauces unless it's really spelled out what's in it - those can be LOADED with "invisible" calories.

I'm not afraid of a burger - but I'll order steamed veggies or a salad to go with it instead of fries (depending on my calorie needs that day).

If you can, still make use of the hotel gym - it's not a lot, but that extra little bit of activity can help mitigate a little overeating, too!

Also, if I'm going to be traveling and not feeling like I want to be TOO restrictive, I just consider the week a "maintenance" week and don't worry too much about losing. That won't derail you as long as you don't exceed it, just delays losses a week, but the enjoyment can be worth it!
  • guacamole17
    guacamole17 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Bring snacks and breakfasts (unless the hotel has a good one). Eat half of restaurant meals and bring leftovers the next day (if you can anyway) or split meals with folks OR order an appetizer. I find those options to be a lot more sating than ordering chicken and salad over and over again unless you are really into that kind of that! I personally eat stuff I don't normally make at home, when I go out.

if you don't normally eat out much, plan for a small water weight gain.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I used to travel for work 25 weeks out of the year. My hotels always had a fridge, and usually a microwave so I always shopped at the grocery store to get stuff I could eat in the room. As eating out goes, most places I've ever been have healthy options on the menu...it's a matter of opting for them. If I get a salad I always get dressing on the side because I've never liked my salad drowning in dressing...grilled meats and double sides of veg, etc. I always utilized the fitness center at the hotel as well.

I was actually a lot better with my weight management back when I traveled vs when I got stuck in the office for some reason...I gained most of my weight when I stopped traveling for work and was in the office all of the time...I think it was related to the almost constant presence of food in the office vs not really having that kind of availability when I was on the road.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Keeping on track when travelling for work takes a little discipline but doesn't have to be complicated. You just need to be a little flexible and pay attention to your options, especially if your schedule is fluid. I normally have a few basic scenarios when travelling:
    • Quick meals while in transit, lunch breaks, etc: Usually look for quick service or fast food options and pick items I know fit within a reasonable calorie target. Panera, McDonalds, and other chains have well published and consistent menus.
    • Hotel breakfast: Eggs, fruit, oatmeal, yogurt are all good options that are frequently available.
    • Entertaining customers or meals with colleagues: Often on a multi-day trip there's at least one meal a day that we try to find something local. Eating frugally earlier in the day leaves room for a bigger meal. I look for lean meats and vegetables, almost every restaurant has something that fits that profile. If there's alcohol, one drink max.

Usually, if I followed a simple strategy like this I get to have some pretty decent meals and get home with only a modest water weight gain (attributable to extra salt and air travel).
  • temazur
    temazur Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Our hotel isn’t by much so I’m thinking I should try to bring some things in my suitcase!

There are a lot of grocery delivery services in Toronto. Even with the fees, the cost of getting groceries versus eating out every day for every meal is still probably less. You could maybe find one of those and arrange a delivery your first evening in for supplies. You might want to check with your expense report people and see if they are okay with that, or if you'd have to cover the fee yourself.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Figure out where the nearest grocery store is and take a taxi or ask for a hotel shuttle. Or, look for a Walgreens/CVS type store. You can actually do a decent grocery shop at the bigger drug stores. Get things for breakfast so you can eat in your room. And a couple of items that you can use for snacks.

pack of english muffins
    Jif to Go
    Tuna to Go
    beef jerky
    baby carrots
    apples

So, english muffin with peanut butter and a banana for breakfast. Bring baby carrots and a granola bar for your snacks.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I haven't found one restaurant that wasn't able to "cater" to any diet. So if you find something on the menu that sounds good, but isn't quite right - ask them to alter it. The biggest things I typically do is ask for no cheese, no bun and dressing/condiments on the side. Sub a veggie for fries. No Apps, no dessert. Limit booze to 1 drink per dinner. If I go out with a group from work and they order apps, I don't eat them. Just because food is there, doesn't mean you have to eat it. Also, find it helpful to ask for a box when I order my meal, and split it in half before I even start eating. That way you aren't tempted to over eat.

But, I'd also have "healthy" go to snacks in your hotel room. Try and avoid eating out for breakfast (it's easy to do with a fridge).