Pregnancy and Exercise

Options
I've searched for motivational or exercise groups for pregnant women and haven't found any. So I'm starting this thread to find other pregnant women working on growing a healthy baby but also exercising regularly!!

My journey started out well until morning sickness kicked in then I fell behind and out of shape. The holidays were challenging to exercise through but I'm back to myself finally!! Now I am motivated to get back to my Prenatal exercises.

I currently jog / run on my elliptical and do Prenatal Yoga. Although this is excellent, I'd like to incorporate a few arm exercises with small weights.

If you're pregnant and exercising or trying to get back to exercising; feel free to share your story and any possible recommendations for exercising while pregnant :)

Replies

• heathershaw4785
    heathershaw4785 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am glad I found this. I’m 9 weeks pregnant and haven’t been able to exercise for the last few months. I’d started exercising regularly last May and really wanted to keep up with it but haven’t had the energy or stamina this first trimester. I’ve also been eating like a horse and really need to get back on track. I started logging my food again today and hope that will help. How far along were you when you started feeling normal?
  • janericka
    janericka Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi I just reached 10 weeks and need some exercises tips, dos and donts.
    I signed up for a GoodLife fitness membership lastnight and am ready to start working out again.
    I used to play dodgeball, soccer, basketball and volleyball in my cities sport and social club. Obviously I can’t do that anymore but need to do something to get ready for labour :)
  • janericka
    janericka Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I’m not quite back to normal but am far better then I was two weeks ago. In the next week or two your body will start coping better with the baby onboard
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    the general consensus is that you can keep doing whatever exercise you were used to, prior to getting pregnant, but don't start anything new without seeing your doctor.
  • mamabear1114
    mamabear1114 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I’m four months pregnant. I decided to go back to the gym today after a couple months hiatus. My first trimester was so awful I could barely get out of bed. But I’m feeling more energized now and ready to get back after it! Trying to make sure baby is healthy and that I’m doing all I can for my body to have an easy delivery and recovery. :)
  • AshleyCesta
    AshleyCesta Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi gals! I'm a little over 14 weeks pregnant with baby #2 :) and am hoping to keep the weight gain under 40 lbs this time. For my first I gained about 65 pounds and was totally miserable. I was literally eating fast food and milkshakes every day in my final trimester and NEVER worked out other than walking here and there. I felt like a huge blob and didn't even recognize myself. Joining MFP was the best thing I ever did. I got back into the best shape of my life and last thing I want to do is throw that away because I'm being hormonal! It would be nice to have maybe 25lbs to lose after baby #2 rather than 60!!!!! So that's the goal :) I finally have my energy back after the first trimester and am starting to feel like myself again. I'm allowing myself more food than when I'm trying to lose, but attempting to keep it clean and hit the gym 4x per week. How much have ya'll gained so far? How much did you gain if you've had a previous pregnancy? Just curious!!!

Workouts for me: 20 minutes per day on the arc trainer (interval training) plus squats/lunges (trying to keep the booty tight cus we all know the belly is gonna go!)
  • mamabear1114
    mamabear1114 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hi gals! I'm a little over 14 weeks pregnant with baby #2 :) and am hoping to keep the weight gain under 40 lbs this time. For my first I gained about 65 pounds and was totally miserable. I was literally eating fast food and milkshakes every day in my final trimester and NEVER worked out other than walking here and there. I felt like a huge blob and didn't even recognize myself. Joining MFP was the best thing I ever did. I got back into the best shape of my life and last thing I want to do is throw that away because I'm being hormonal! It would be nice to have maybe 25lbs to lose after baby #2 rather than 60!!!!! So that's the goal :) I finally have my energy back after the first trimester and am starting to feel like myself again. I'm allowing myself more food than when I'm trying to lose, but attempting to keep it clean and hit the gym 4x per week. How much have ya'll gained so far? How much did you gain if you've had a previous pregnancy? Just curious!!!

Workouts for me: 20 minutes per day on the arc trainer (interval training) plus squats/lunges (trying to keep the booty tight cus we all know the belly is gonna go!)

Hi there! We are almost the same (I’m sixteen weeks)! When is your due date??
    This is also my second child. My first one I only gained 19 pounds, which was great because my starting weight was already overweight (187, and I’m 5’8) and with this baby my starting weight is exactly the same, 187. So far I haven’t gained any weight at all so my doctor is happy with that. I also had a rough first trimester but I’m ready to get back after it! My ultimate end goal is to not gain more than 25 pounds this pregnancy, and after baby get down to 170. :)
  • MLHC1
    MLHC1 Posts: 678 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Welcome everyone :blush:

I'm currently 24 weeks pregnant and this is baby #4 for us. I just recently started feeling better. My first trimester was a little rough bc of the nausea!! Then the holidays wore me out, lol!! I'm currently working towards Prenatal Yoga and jogging daily. Right now I am alternating days with yoga and jogging just bc I took the month of December off. Once I get back to both exercises daily, I'd like to start some small weights for my arms. I exercised regularly before getting pregnant and even lost 10 lbs before getting pregnant. With previous pregnancies, I gained ~40 lbs with baby #1, then ~55 lbs with baby #2 & #3. So far I'm up 30 lbs already with this one!! I've definitely already gained more than I wanted but I haven't indulged in unhealthy foods, I guess that is just the way pregnancy happens for me. I'm just going to keep exercising, eating healthy and growing a healthy baby boy :joy:

I'm here for you gals for motivation and support :blush: Every pregnancy is different but my focus is to stay positive and not focus of the statistical recommended weight (bc that is depressing and I think every woman and baby are different). With that said, I still plan to exercise but not over do it either.
  • Strong_Savannah
    Strong_Savannah Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies :) I just finally got back to working out last week at 17 weeks along. It feels so good to finally have more energy and no nausea! I was very active prior to becoming pregnant with running 15-20 miles/week and I was in the middle of Strong Curves advanced program. Needless to say, I was very discouraged during the first tri when I wasn't working out and eating whatever I could stomach. I have gained 25lbs so far and I am hoping that I don't gain too much more. Now that I'm back to working out, I have started Strong Curves from the beginning. I am hoping to start yoga once or twice a week. As for running, I have not ran yet while pregnant because I'm afraid that my heart rate will be too high. It's shocking how quickly I get winded now with the extra blood volume! Guess I will just do easy cardio on the stairmaster, elliptical, faster walking. I am trying to view labor & delivery as something to "train" for in that I want to stay active and physically capable to make it go as easy as possible, med-free and intervention free.
  • MLHC1
    MLHC1 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies :) I just finally got back to working out last week at 17 weeks along. It feels so good to finally have more energy and no nausea! I was very active prior to becoming pregnant with running 15-20 miles/week and I was in the middle of Strong Curves advanced program. Needless to say, I was very discouraged during the first tri when I wasn't working out and eating whatever I could stomach. I have gained 25lbs so far and I am hoping that I don't gain too much more. Now that I'm back to working out, I have started Strong Curves from the beginning. I am hoping to start yoga once or twice a week. As for running, I have not ran yet while pregnant because I'm afraid that my heart rate will be too high. It's shocking how quickly I get winded now with the extra blood volume! Guess I will just do easy cardio on the stairmaster, elliptical, faster walking. I am trying to view labor & delivery as something to "train" for in that I want to stay active and physically capable to make it go as easy as possible, med-free and intervention free.

Awesome!! I believe labor and deliver is something to train for too :lol: I've had all 3 of my kiddos natural (no medicine at all). I plan to do the same with this one!! The only caution I have to be concerned with is overdoing it. I had my first one premature and was put on bed rest with #2 then reduce activity with #3. I do not want to get to that point with this one.

You have a great attitude and motivation!! Keep it up, you've got this!! :smiley:
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

You sound a lot like me. I ran a modified version of Strong Curves during my last pregnancy, and stuck to walking and stair climber for cardio (I am not a runner). I found being active, strength training and some gentle yoga really helped with my labour, delivery and recovery (I had the same goals as you and it went well, I can give you more details if you want to message me :) )
  • Strong_Savannah
    Options
    MLHC1 wrote: »

Awesome!! I believe labor and deliver is something to train for too :lol: I've had all 3 of my kiddos natural (no medicine at all). I plan to do the same with this one!! The only caution I have to be concerned with is overdoing it. I had my first one premature and was put on bed rest with #2 then reduce activity with #3. I do not want to get to that point with this one.

You have a great attitude and motivation!! Keep it up, you've got this!! :smiley:

Wow, 3 natural births! That is inspiring! Wishing you the best with this one! o:) I feel like med-free will certainly be difficult, but I would love to be able to accomplish it (fingers crossed, but I do understand my health and baby's health are more important and things can go wrong). I've also noticed that I am much more in tune with my body now while exercising- breathing, getting enough rest between sets so that I don't overdo it. Hopefully everything keeps going smoothly. Thanks for the motivation!! :)
  • Strong_Savannah
    Options
    the general consensus is that you can keep doing whatever exercise you were used to, prior to getting pregnant, but don't start anything new without seeing your doctor.

I would like to mention that this is what my midwife said. She said that they don't generally recommend lifting over 25lbs (? can't remember # exactly, but was around this), but since I was already doing weight lifting, then I would be OK as long as I listened to my body. She also said for cardio, to keep your heart rate under 140 as to not restrict blood flow from baby.