Pregnant and obese

Options
My doctor told me to never eat for 2. He never said to gain weight or anything for this pregnancy. I think because I started this pregnancy already overweight, that he isn’t recommending I gain weight. I have gained 7 pounds and now considered in the obese range. I’m 5 8 and 197 points. I asked them about weight gain, and they said if I eat healthy I will lose weight and it won’t hurt the baby. So do y’all think I should just aim for half a pound per week? I’m almost 5 months along. Any advice would be much appreciated. I don’t want complications with birth or anything because of my weight

Replies

• sjd421
    sjd421 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I was considered obese during my pregnancy last year, 5'4" and starting weight of 186. I was told to try to only gain 20lbs. I was also told you should never actively try to lose weight while pregnant, it happens sometimes with eating better or morning sickness, but don't cut calories. 1st trimester you don't need any extra calories, 2nd trimester you need about 300-350 extra a day and in the 3rd you need about 500 extra. I would just try to eat at maintenance for now. I got up to 200 and 1 yr postpartum I am at 168.
  • brittneyalley
    brittneyalley Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I started in the obese category, and my doctor said to gain less than 11 pounds. I’d consult your doctor before trying to lose weight. It may harm your body. The baby gets nutrients first, so you may suffer (losing hair, brittle nails, etc).
  • Cyclone2011
    Cyclone2011 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't actively try to lose weight, but really you shouldn't need to eat more than usual until the third trimester. I'm 5'9" and was 240 when I got pregnant with both my first and second and I was told not to gain more than 15 pounds. I only gained 5 pounds with my first (I had HG and lost a ton of weight my first two trimesters) and gained around 20 with my second.

How far along are you?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i was obese with both my pregnancies and it was advised to gain 20. i gained slightly under that with both, and the weight fell off quick.
  • megs_1985
    megs_1985 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I’d eat at maintenance but listen to your body and if you’re hungry then eat something healthy.
  • misskitty2018
    misskitty2018 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I was there and my baby was born with hypoglycemia...and it was very painful for her because she was the one getting poked and prodded while I was watching. It's no joke. Listen to your doctor and don't eat anything that would make baby sick. Congratulations and best of luck ;)
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I started in the obese category, and my doctor said to gain less than 11 pounds. I’d consult your doctor before trying to lose weight. It may harm your body. The baby gets nutrients first, so you may suffer (losing hair, brittle nails, etc).

Not only losing hair, brittle nails... if you're not taking in enough calcium your body will make sure the baby gets all it needs, at the expense of your bone mass. Which can set you up for rough golden years

I started my last pregnancy at 190, I set my MFP to maintenance which was around 1900 for me. I moved as I could, and tried to eat sensibly. If I wanted to have a cookie, I had a cookie. I found that most days, 1500 was fine for me, but some days I ate like a horse. In the end, I had a 6lb 10oz baby, gained 12lbs, and had a health pregnancy.

My biggest advice is to, if nothing else, keep track of how much you are eating. And keep in mind that the rules of weight management are kind of out the window in pregnancy. I would gain in a deficit (water, evidenced by edema) and lose when I was eating everything. Just keep track so you don't go wild.

There is a group too, Fit, Fabulous, and Pregnant! If you're looking for more ladies like you!

*Edit to clarify
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I was there and my baby was born with hypoglycemia...and it was very painful for her because she was the one getting poked and prodded while I was watching. It's no joke. Listen to your doctor and don't eat anything that would make baby sick. Congratulations and best of luck ;)

A friend of mine who was a low end of normal body weight gained 6lbs in pregnancy, and had a 6lb 5oz baby. He had all kinds of problems for the first couple months, blood sugar was one, maintaining his own body temperature was another. Things you expect to see in premies, not babies that are 10 days late.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Always consult the doctor. I would figure only gain no more than 10 pounds since that's probably the weight of the baby.. but this is definitely something to keep up with your doctor and/or an actual nutritionist. It's more about nutrition over calories in pregnancy. So, keep up with those healthy meals.
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I was told by several IVF consultants that the weight gain rules for pregnancy ONLY apply to under and normal weight women. Not Overweight or Obese women. So it IS safe for an overweight or Obese woman to lose weight on an appropriate balanced (medically endorsed) diet that results in no more than 1kg weight loss per week.