filling breakfast ideas

Options
honu18
honu18 Posts: 294 Member
Hey everyone!

Normally I eat a decent sized breakfast--usually about 250 calories (bowl of cereal & piece of fruit), but then I end up eating a snack about two to three hours later between that and lunch. I'm pretty much a grazer and just eat small amounts throughout the day. However, next week, I'm taking a big test that requires me to be at the test center for about five hours. We're not allowed to bring anything in--although there may be a possibility I can eat a granola bar or something during a 10 minute break at one point. But, I want to avoid feeling hungry at all costs and not being distracted by that. I also don't want to eat too much in the morning to the point where i get tired and lethargic. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should eat for breakfast that day? I know a lot of people say oatmeal is filling, but I actually get pretty hungry soon after I eat that, so not sure about that choice.

Thanks so much!

Replies

• tracikearns
    tracikearns Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Go with protein to keep you fuller longer...4 egg whites on a whole wheat english muffin would be a great idea. I usually eat oatmeal in the morning and have found that when I eat the quaker old fashioned oats and make it the skim milk it is much more filling :)
    Good luck!
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    No expert or anything... :) But what I would do is also add some protein, like eggbeaters if you want to make a super-smart choice. For me, I need a good mix of carbs/protein to avoid feeling hungry soon after eating. I would also make sure that the cereal is something like oatmeal or quinoa so that i takes longer to digest.
  • SarahAlt
    SarahAlt Posts: 44
    Options
    Try a fried egg with cheese on toast or an english muffin. It's a around 250 calories and it seems to fill me up til about 11 am every day. Anything loaded with protein and fiber will keep you feeling fuller longer and well energized. It also takes about 5 mins to make and is great for on the go! I eat one every morning in the car on the way to work.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    i love oatmeal lol. Well for dinner last night I had zuchini, squash, spinach, sweet potato cooked in spray canola oil. I'm vegan but I would imagine that would make an AWESOME omellette. Or have it wish some toast or in a wrap. Just pile up the veggies lol their so filling and won't kill your calories.
  • IggyL
    IggyL Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    You are going to need something that will stick with you, I would suggest making sure you get some protein with breakfast. Maybe some scrambled eggs with some part-skim mozarella along with some whole grain toast. I hope they let you bring water to drink with you, that can help with some of the hunger thoughts.
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest plenty of protein - eggs, dairy, meat. Avoid carbs if you can, they tend to give short term energy, then leave you feeling sluggish and hungry. An apple won't hurt you, but stay away from bread products and anything containing sugar. Low-glycemic foods will keep you feeling full longer.
  • serendipityrr
    serendipityrr Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I agree with the protein idea....maybe some turkey bacon too?
  • yvdavies
    Options
    Try Uncle Sam's cereal with fruit on top. I find that cereal particularly filling.
  • Bob_Sugar
    Options
    I usualy do oatmeal
  • farrahsczykutowicz
    Options
    I eat every 3 hours however this will keep me full or quite awhile if it has to...it has protein,fat and good carbs
    Potein Pancakes

4 egg whites
    1/2 cup oats
    1-2 tbsp greek yogurt
    1 tbsp flax
    1 scoop of proein

Mix together and make into 3-4 pancakes. Top with 1/3 cup of sugar free syrup and 1/3 cup of berries. Sometimes for added fat, I also add a Tbsp of natural PB to top.

Another good one is the Mac Muffin. It takes about 45 minutes to make but you can make it the night before and then jsut put in foil and heat for 15 minutes in the oven and take with you. It's delish. Recipe below:

24 egg whites
    1 c. dry oats (rolled oats, old fashioned oats, plain Quaker oats, or quick oats will do)
    12 slices 97% fat free canadian bacon
    Directions:
    The name of the game here is layering. Read on and see

Spray an 8×8 square pan with Pam or any other nonstick spray, and pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Pour 1/4 of the egg whites (6 whites, or their equivalent from a carton) and place one layer of canadian bacon at the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle about 1/4 of the oats (so, 1/4 c.), and put this mixture in the oven for 10 minutes.
    Remove the pan from the oven and add another layer of egg whites, then 1/4 c. oats, then a layer of canadian bacon, then another 1/4 c. oats. Repeat this until you’ve used all your egg whites, oats, and canadian bacon, cooking each layer until it is no longer wet in the middle. When it’s done, cut it in four pieces and store them in the fridge.
    I re-heat these to take on the go by placing them in the oven at 350* on a piece of tin foil for about 15 minutes. When I’m ready to leave the house, I take it out of the oven, sprinkle a little sea salt on top, and wrap it up in the foil to take it to go! Another option for re-heating is to place a piece of cheddar cheese on top (or even in the middle, like a sandwich!). Yum!
    Macro Breakdown: 200 calories, 2g fat, 13.5g carbs, and a whopping 30g protein to keep you full all morning.

Pasted from <http://blog.questproteinbar.com/a-day-of-rachel-mac-food/
  • CatClark
    CatClark Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I make oatmeal with a twist - I use Spelt flakes instead of oats. I find they keep me fuller longer than oats do for some reason... I mix in some cocoa powder, and if I'm going all out, I'll slice a banana over the top for an extra potassium boost :)

Maybe try incorporating some protein to your breakfast to keep you feeling fuller for longer? A boiled egg, some yoghurt? If I don't have the time to cook up my Spelt flakes, I generally go with a yoghurt at my desk and it seems to tide me over until lunch...

Good luck with your test!
  • Nursestacie
    Nursestacie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Toasted Multi-grain English muffin with 1/2 TBSP of peanut butter on each slice with sliced bananas on top. Keeps me full until lunch and its also my pre-race meal when I run any races.

1 healthy life multi-grain reduced sodium english muffin (sliced and toasted) 80 calories
    1 medium banana (sliced) it only takes about half a banana but i eat the rest. 105 calories
    1 TBSP honey peanut butter 95 calories

total=280 calories
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    You may want to "test-drive" whatever you decide on if it's not something you normally eat. That way you want have to worry about tummy troubles during your test either. Best of luck!
  • 2dogzrule
    2dogzrule Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I just made an awesome omelette for the first time and it was filling!

2 eggs
    1/2 c mixed greens
    3 Tbs chives
    2 Tbs seasoned goat cheese
    2 Tbs hommus (recipe called for pesto but this is healthier!)
  • zee1957
    zee1957 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I take a protein shake from GNC I mix it with fat free milk very tasting and fills me up about 5 hours.
  • suzibrew
    suzibrew Posts: 23
    Options
    Have you tried steel cut oats? They are nuttier and more filling to me. You could also cook some eggwhites in the microwave and add to oatmeal for the protein, super low calorie option and filling. Or maybe add some peanut butter.

Sorry, I am nuts about oatmeal.

have a great weekend!
    Susan
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I always make sure that breakfast is about 400 plus calories, this will keep you going well into lunch and should really help curb the need to graze. Protein and fiber are the base. Typically my breakfast consists of 1/3 cup porridge or oatmeal cooked in 6 to 8 oz of almond milk, 1 or 2 tablespoons of almond butter, 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/2 cup of blueberries, with 100 grams of Greek yogurt on top. I can go for at least 5 hours with no hunger on this. Hope this helps :)
  • emfoley2
    emfoley2 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous poster, definitely test drive any breakfast routine change before the big day - the last thing you want is indigestion.

Another option you might consider: low fat greek yogurt with fresh fruit and granola - includes protein, very filling, and in line with what you usually eat.
  • rebshu85
    rebshu85 Posts: 11
    Options
    bump
  • rebshu85
    rebshu85 Posts: 11
    Options
    bump