Meal Replacement Shakes?

Options
2»

Replies

• ledgey91
    ledgey91 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I used USN Diet Fuel at the start of my diet and shed weight very quickly over the course of the year. I did stick to it 2x a day for about a year then 1x a day for about 6 months before coming off completely. I did buy into the "magic" of it at first but people are right, it just puts you into a caloric deficit so long as you don't eat ridiculously around it.

One benefit is that they're generally higher in protein and have a high amount of nutrients but they only really killed my hunger cravings when I got into the swing of them.

Generally you can get a nice bowl of porridge and yoghurt for around the same amount of calories and depending on how you deal with your food might be more satisfying. I think the best thing about diet replacement is the routine it places you in.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Echoing all of the above. I enjoy shakes occasionally for breakfast or as a snack. Do they work? As long as you are within your calorie goal, yes. There is nothing magical or transforming about the shakes that causes weight loss, though.
  • Live_life_well
    Live_life_well Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I was on a 85% Soylent (meal replacement brand) diet for 8 months. My experiences were as follows - liquid diet did not signal to my brain that I had eaten so always hungry, missed 3 days of work because of stomach pain, other personal health issues I would rather not discuss.

I don't recommend that anyone try to sustain themselves on these diets. But will Soylent work as an occasional meal replacement? Maybe, but given my bad experiences I will be staying far far far away from meal replacements unless I am in a hospital bed.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    Meal replacement shakes tend not to be very filling, so keep that in mind - you'll probably find that your hunger will increase while consuming the same amount of calories.

I've heard good things about "Soylent" - it's a nutritionally complete drink that comes in some different flavours.

Isn't the Soylent Green made of ... people?!
  • gooz71
    gooz71 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Costco sells 18 pk of Premier Protein shakes. Really low in sugar and high in protein.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I liked the Labrada carbwatchers chocolate. High protein, good nutrition macros and very filling. Great when I'm out the door in a rush.
  • ash89w
    ash89w Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Instead of meal replacement shakes, have you considered just getting a protein shake? I use Gold Standard whey protein, about 120 calories per scoop and comes in lots of flavours. Can add some chopped fruit and coconut water instead of milk. Much more nutritious and filling than many of the meal replacement shakes on the market :)
  • A1mylover
    A1mylover Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    duskyjewel wrote: »
    These are good, my husband and I have used them for months at a time, mostly for maintenance and not losing, but I could do a whole morning at work after one of these. I like the nutrition in them. I mixed mine with unsweetened almond milk.

https://shop.oxyfresh.com/collections/nutrition/

I agree, I use them and go from breakfast through to lunch with no snacking. ❣️
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Vega one nutritional shake is very versatile and gives u a good replacement and can mix with almond milk or veg ice cream or frozen berries.

Just be wary of Vega One if you have any known sensitivity/intolerance/allergy to spirulina or chlorella. They use both liberally in their products.