Are beans and lentils high on protein or carbs?

Options
Abbeyaylin
Abbeyaylin Posts: 15 Member
edited January 2018 in Food and Nutrition
Are beans and lentils high on protein or carbs?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I'd predominantly call them a carb source, but they do provide a decent amount of protein for a carb source.
  • Abbeyaylin
    Options
    Me and my brother in law, are making bets, there are different sources, I thought they only had protein
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    From the USDA Database - they have a decent amount of both:

TRADER JOE'S, SMALL WHOLE GRAIN LENTILS 100g, UPC: 00507653:
    24g protein, 60g carbs, 28g fiber, 4g sugar

DARK RED KIDNEY BEANS 100g, UPC: 070890512006
    6.3g protein, 15.75g carbs, 4.7g fiber, 1.57g sugar

Even protein powders are going to contain some carbs. You can do your own food searches here:

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list
  • Abbeyaylin
    Options
    I haven’t logged them, it was just a discussion we had. We saw on google different responses.
  • Abbeyaylin
    Options
    Thank you guys
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I treat them like a carb. Different responses are likely due to a difference of perspective. For a vegan/vegetarian, legumes are probably one of the highest protein foods you can eat.
  • debeaniebaby
    debeaniebaby Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    This is one of my own puzzles! As a vegetarian beans and pulses make up a lot of my diet, I always thought they were protein but my nutrition is coming up high in carbs! How do I decrease my carb intake and up my protein intake!!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Both.

Lots of foods are mixed.

Whether you see them as your protein source or carb source in a particular meal may depend on what else you are eating.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,190 Member
    Options
    This is one of my own puzzles! As a vegetarian beans and pulses make up a lot of my diet, I always thought they were protein but my nutrition is coming up high in carbs! How do I decrease my carb intake and up my protein intake!!

Worry about increasing protein if it's not high enough, sure. Don't worry about carbs per se. There's nothing wrong with carbs (as long as you're not diabetic).

Signed,

Vegetarian for 43 years, now starting 3rd year of maintaining a healthy weight
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I can't believe no one posted a "let me google that for you" link
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

Since you are a vegetarian not a vegan: eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, egg-whites are a good source of protein.