2 years later: For the lurkers update

Options
zyxst
zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
My original success story - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10316526/for-the-lurkers-173-lost-pics-numbers/p1

TL;DR - My life is in shambles, but I kept the weight off. Still a success?

7f82nrnnxb0b.gif

2016, I spent "finding maintenance" and lost an additional 10#.

2017, I knew my weight range (129-133#), had a good grasp on calorie intake (high in summer because WARM, low in winter because COLD AF aka SLOTH MODE). I had a lot of stressors, too. First time to a podiatrist (stranger carves feet with scalpel). Went to a dentist for mucho dental work (I have fear of dentists from horrific childhood dentist).

June 2017 I stopped birth control and peri-menopause begins (hormonal balancing FUN). Now I get the classic symptom of

apvaccaifbsf.gif

once a month.

July 2017 brought a bombshell. I had to accept my marriage is, essentially over. We're now roommates who share hugs. My depression hit a high (low?). My Raynauds and eczema are worse (blue, itchy fingers, OH BOY!). I overeat at least once a week (3,000 - 4,000 calorie days; maintenance is 1900ish).

October 2017 brought my 47th birthday, an IDGAF eating day, and the subsequent weight gain that I could not drop for 5 weeks.

November 2017 my first colonoscopy! I feared this as do most people. They say the prep is the worst part. I had no problem with the prep. The dietary changes were nice, albeit boring, and I probably took it too far cutting out 99% fruits and vegs (ate mashed potatoes and polenta). I lost the weight I'd gained on my birthday (YAY) during this. The prep liquid (I had it cold) was ...good? I got it down just fine (was worried I'd be puking due to another childhood trauma). Busted a diet myth, too. I DO NOT HAVE 7 POUNDS OF UNDIGESTED MEAT IN MY COLON. My weight before The Purge: 131# Weight day of colonoscopy: 130.2#. I learned I have a twisty colon, either from having extra colon or my OB/GYN stuffed things around when I had my Caesarean. The procedure, which is supposedly easy, was extremely painful.

December 2017 Xmas and Boxing Day IDGAF (really, really DGAF). Gained 7.4#.

January 2018 Rang in the new year at 137.4#. Just under my OGW of 140#

Today, I weighed in at 134.4#. Lost nearly half the holiday gains.

What do I want to say, or have you take away from this? I seem like a success story on the outside, but it's constant, daily-diligence WORK. My slip-ups are too often and I struggle way more than I should.

eaj5bst089k6.jpg
6o28jhcdz6vy.gif

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the (peri)menopause club! Don't forget we have a nice group here.

Thanks for sharing your update! (your prep was much more civilized than mine!)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Bad year, huh? Well thank god we're in a new one. You've got a great success story and I hope it continues. Remember we never know what (or who) is around the corner. Wishing you a great 2018!
  • hollen_carol
    hollen_carol Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    A great and very honest post here. I took off 50 pounds for my wedding 2 1/2 years ago. I am back on the wagon again because I'm up 10 pounds. That was just for not logging for 4 months!! WTH? I really did not want to log for the rest of my life when I started this journey. Yeah, life slips right back into the pictures as soon as you stop looking for a second. Its a constant battle so you just have to decide if you want the battle or you want to go back to fat. I will step on the scale again tomorrow (weigh in Wednesdays :smiley: ) and hopefully a few of those 10 will have come off in the last 9 or 10 days since I started being careful once again.
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I would like to say that I love your Red Green meme hahaha.

Congrats on your hard work - it's really impressive and gives me a great deal of hope that I can adapt and overcome when I reach your stage.
  • Rachelmilloy
    Rachelmilloy Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the update Zyxst, always a pleasure to read your posts, your "dark honesty" as someone so aptly described it above. I can well imagine how nimble and resourceful (and strong!) you've been to stay one step ahead in the weight loss maintenance racket, given what a struggle it has been. I wasn't tormented by any cravings during the year I spent losing weight, because I just ate lower calorie foods, but when I reached maintenance and had so many more "calorie dollars" to spend, and introduced TREATS, well!!! Hello cravings, torment, and binges!

As I ponder how??? some people can eat a single serving of some treat and feel satisfied, the closest I come to understanding them is when I think of the fabled alcoholic who has achieved sobriety and decides to go into a bar for just one drink... and we all know how that ends... anyway, I have never had much of a taste for alcohol, and would have no trouble at all walking away from a half-full first glass...

Anyhow, makes sense to me that you're taking note of all the torment, the collateral damage so to speak, that can accompany maintenance... me too. Here's hoping it somehow gets easier. Wishing you all good things in 2018!

• 4bugsmama
    4bugsmama Posts: 2,875 Member
    Options
    I love your post! I am no where near maintenance, at least not right now. I was, however, at my ideal weight about 6-7 years ago. I am determined to make a go at it again as I am now the heaviest I have EVER been (yes, even when I was pregnant). This is hard to admit. Needless to say, I am back and have found dedication to ME, not an easy task as I have 4 'babies' at home..a full-time job I commute to..and a full-time student. But, something has to give. I CANNOT be lax any longer. And I truly appreciate posts like this where this is raw honesty, ownership, and seeing that there is success.

Have a great day!
  • zyxst
    Options
    udpvlb71zvcm.gif

Wanted to let people know I'm still working on it. I haven't disappeared or died or gained back everything. I've been bothered by success stories here and never knowing if the people were okay.
  • Ekoth1017
    Ekoth1017 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Jingsi84
    Jingsi84 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Great post. I am so happy that you have managed to retain your sense of humor and weight loss! Plus you made me lmao.
  • donthegeek
    donthegeek Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Isn't it funny how our successes never come in the form or at the time we plan?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I'd never seen your original Success Story before. Super awesome (with a cape)!
  • zyxst
    Options
    139# today. 3 weeks to gain what took a year to lose. Also learned what "success" means to/for me:

f65n8ldsp0re.jpg
    lj0058vab0oh.gif
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!