_GirlWhoLifts_ Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hello! I’m an ER nurse :)
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Keep your mouth shut during dinner.

As a non nurse with two nurse parents and a nurse brother, wounds and illnesses and body fluids should be off topic during group meals.

Might not be the advice you were after.
  • CaptainFantastic00
    CaptainFantastic00 Posts: 4,619 Member
    Options
    Hello! I’m an ER nurse :)

Tell me stories of your endeavors of becoming a nurse
  • erica_healthy
    erica_healthy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Im in Australia, so I worked as an Assistant In Nursing while doing a Diploma of Endorsed enrolled nursing.
    Its difficult and some co workers are tough and there are bad days but I find it worth it 90% of the time
  • Find_Me_Again
    Find_Me_Again Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Plus I thought this thread was going to be about breastfeeding. I'm so glad it's not and we get to talk about real nursing.

I'm shocked it hasn't turned to that yet because that was my first thought as well

I had something breast feeding related to post but I deleted it :D

What's this self control thing you have going on?

It seemed to kick in there!
  • CaptainFantastic00
    Options
    This is a shameless bump
  • poetic_cell
    poetic_cell Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Ok. I don't know much about nursing, but hear me out: don't be like Olivia, be like Tyler.

When mama Grey coded, he was Derek's right hand man.
    When that cute flirty ginger guy's carotid blew, he was there to keep things under control.
    He was a good, polite nurse.
    While Olivia slept around, caught syphilis and passed it on to another guy, no biggie.
    She was rude countless times.

Be like Tyler.
  • CaptainFantastic00
    Options
    Ok. I don't know much about nursing, but hear me out: don't be like Olivia, be like Tyler.

When mama Grey coded, he was Derek's right hand man.
    When that cute flirty ginger guy's carotid blew, he was there to keep things under control.
    He was a good, polite nurse.
    While Olivia slept around, caught syphilis and passed it on to another guy, no biggie.
    She was rude countless times.

Be like Tyler.

Solid advice

Probably
  • mystgrl28
    mystgrl28 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    mystgrl28 wrote: »
    Is it about nurses? I never saw it. I work with nurses. They are overwhelming middle aged, carrying a bit of paunch and use Clairol hair dye to cover the grey strands. They tend to skimp on the touchups and often have a skunk stripe cruising down their part line if you know what I mean. Is this accurately reflected in the casting of this program?

Ahahaha FYI the telly never shows real hospital life. Does my head in. Doctors never cannulate, draw blood, check obs, or stay with patients as they have an existential crisis. Also, my team ranges from 25-45, with most staff members in the 25-35 range. Quite a young lot, i must say, compared to the ones you work with. Hahahahhaa. Admittedly, Im the fat one of the bunch as they're all skinny :D but we colour our hair by choice and not need lol!

You know, you're so right about that. The doctors breeze in and write out medication orders in the office for 20 minutes or so and hope for the best. Then the nurses continue on the front lines and deal with any fallout. No wonder they have gallows humour and rely on crisps and biscuits.

25 to 45 eh? There must be a real temptation to connect socially, despite the professional ban on such things, especially if the individuals are good looking and emotionally supportive.

It's better to work with older people who never wear makeup or low cut nursing uniforms. You've probably noticed those older nurses eat biscuits and crisps and sweets in large quantity for breakfast, tea, and supper with no regard for the esthetic consequences. This is what happens.

Lol we all go out for drinks and throw parties and whatnot. All good looking, all girls/gays. Only have one straight male on staff and he's...erm...not so pleasing on the senses. Or maybe that's just me. Havent heard anything through the grapevine. Lol!

We all try to eat quite healthily, and some of us are (not me). But the vast quantities of junk on offer (from the patients and families) make it so tempting when you've not eaten anything for 8hrs. I wish people would gift us fruits instead of chocs. If only!
  • Candy0516
    Candy0516 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Go for RN first. Nclex test is sporadic and you can never study enough for it. Flash cards and study.

It’s very rewarding when patients and family thank you many times for doing such a good job.
    A patient called me on their death bed to make sure I knew how much she appreciated me. Unfortunately the hard part is when they do pass.