Starting back at 50 doing intermitten fasting

Options
Looking for advise and any tips from real people doing I F.

Replies

• pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    What type of if are you doing, eg 2 days out of7?
  • schaferelsa
    schaferelsa Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm fasting 18 hours in a day and eating 6. I work 8am to 5p.m.. So I will eat around 2pm and stop eating 8pm. I usually go to bed around 10p.
  • jenswan70
    jenswan70 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I just started IF last week. I fast from 8:30-12:30 pm and eat from 12:30-8:30 pm. I just did it around my work schedule 8:00 am-7:30 pm. So far, I haven't been eating more than 1 meal and 1 snack. I don't get particularly hungry anymore.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    What is your height/weight/age, and how many calories are you eating? ('Cause just as a reminder, you still need a deficit. Just had to explain this to my coworker...)
  • blessedbygrace2016
    Options
    I am just starting IF as well at the advise of My Naturopath. I am fasting from 8:00 - 12:00 with a 1,600 caloric intake hoping for go results, increase energy and to feel better about my weight and myself
  • schaferelsa
    schaferelsa Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm 50, 5ft6in and 227..I need to get a BMR app
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    If you input your stats correctly, MFP will tell you how many calories you need in order to lose weight at the rate of loss you've chosen, no BMR App required (it calculates your BMR and does the necessary calculation)

6s80ysgzbor6.jpg
  • livehealthier1
    livehealthier1 Posts: 56 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I just started intermittent fasting on January 9, 2018 and I have lost 18 lbs so far. I started doing the 16:8 with my eating window between 8-4 pm and 4 days ago I started 18:6 window of eating starts at 12noon. Im also keeping track of my macros. My energy level is through the roof, I;m sleeping better and I'm not having the aches and pains I was having eating all that sugar. This is working for me. I'm 51 years old and I needed to find something that will get the weight off since its been very difficult. I plan to do this forever because it just works.
  • bcradio1
    bcradio1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    What are you trying to accomplish by doing IF vs traditional reduced calorie dieting? Is it simply to curb appetite?
  • nataliecg926
    nataliecg926 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I started IF just by accident because of my work schedule. I work 12-8:30 PM monday to friday, I get up around 9 am, don't eat until my lunch break around 4PM, maybe eat a snack on one of my breaks, get home before 9PM and eat supper by 9:30 PM. So I fast for 18 hours and eat for 6. This is nothing to do with thinking it has any benefits over the regular 3 meals, 2 snacks a day starting with breakfast, I just get hungrier in the evenings and it's much easier to hold off until 4 when I know I will be able to eat than eat all of my calories before 8PM or something and then being hungry at night (I stay up late) and not being able to eat because I've already eaten all of my calories (...if that makes sense lol)
    and I guess I don't really practice IF on the weekends cuz I don't work :lol:
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I started IF just by accident because of my work schedule. I work 12-8:30 PM monday to friday, I get up around 9 am, don't eat until my lunch break around 4PM, maybe eat a snack on one of my breaks, get home before 9PM and eat supper by 9:30 PM. So I fast for 18 hours and eat for 6. This is nothing to do with thinking it has any benefits over the regular 3 meals, 2 snacks a day starting with breakfast, I just get hungrier in the evenings and it's much easier to hold off until 4 when I know I will be able to eat than eat all of my calories before 8PM or something and then being hungry at night (I stay up late) and not being able to eat because I've already eaten all of my calories (...if that makes sense lol)
    and I guess I don't really practice IF on the weekends cuz I don't work :lol:

This sounds like the ideal eating plan for you. I'm glad you understand how/why it works and don't attribute any "magical" abilities to it.

Congratulations!
  • dhnorton
    dhnorton Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    my dr has been pushing it for a while so I'm finally trying it. I'm a vegan, 53 y/o woman and can't seem to get below 194 these days. I've started eating only 9-5 which may be too big a window but I do seem to be not as hungry. The thing I can't seem to get past is all the years of hearing how important eating breakfast first thing is. Can anyone speak to that?