caralluma fimbriata

has anyone tried caralluma fimbriata for weight loss?
thank you
dancerpurple

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Nope. I just use MFP and eat real, delicious food that I like while staying under my daily calorie limit.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,383 Member
    edited January 2018
    https://examine.com/supplements/caralluma-fimbriata/

There's not a lot of research on it out there, so I'd be careful with it. It does seem to be promising in regards to appetite reduction.
    One human intervention (n=62 at baseline, 50 completions) on Caralluma ingestion in overweight persons noted that 1g (made from aerial parts of the plant, 40/60 aqueous/ethanolic extract; 12:1 concentrated extract equivalent to 12g dried plant) was able to induce 2.5% weight loss in 60 days whereas placebo induced 1.2% weight loss when both groups were subject to 'standard weight loss through caloric restriction'.[1] Only waist circumference decreased in a statistically significant manner, while weight and body fat trended towards significance with P values of 0.15 and 0.07; respectively.[1] Final fat loss was 1.2kg in the Caralluma group and 0.2kg in the placebo, and the effects were hypothesized to be through reducing hunger (significant) and the urge to eat (non-significant) with no effect on satiety (feeling of fullness), and Caralluma resulted in a 200kcal deficit while placebo did not, indicating that these effects on fat loss were secondary to compliance to the diet.[1] This study noted 20% decrease in subjective hunger that was causative for an 8% reduction in food.[1]
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    what the heck? never heard of it.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,383 Member
    leggup wrote: »
    Science says that there is no difference between it and a placebo. https://examine.com/supplements/caralluma-fimbriata/

Did you actually read the article...?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Holy 3.5 year old thread Batman.