Question About Sugars

Options
kerr2010
kerr2010 Posts: 219 Member
Sugars are one of the things I am tracking in my food diary. However, I am really confused by it all. My daily allowance is 26 for sugar. After my breakfast though I am already over. I just don't get it because my breakfast looks pretty healthy. For example, 1 piece of whole wheat toast, 1 tbsp peanut butter, 1/2 large banana and 1cup skim milk. The banana and milk have 24 grams of sugar which is my entire daily allowance. I just don't understand how you can possibly fit in the proper servings of fruit and dairy in a day like this. Any suggestions? Do these types of sugars even count? This is all so confusing!

Replies

• vulrich93
    Options
    I wouldn't bother monitoring the sugars. I always go over on mine. I would just measure carbohydrates since that includes sugar, fibre and starch.
  • bkweibel
    bkweibel Posts: 77
    Options
    I have the same problem. I drink 1% milk, which has like 11 sugars in 1 cup. I tend to ignore the number when I know it's "healthy" sugars, i.e. milk, or fruit. I know it's probably not what some people would agree with, but in my opinion, the sugar from a doughnut and the sugar from a cup of watermelon are completely different!
  • Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    It is my opinion that the sugar values on MFP cannot possibly allow you to have a healthy diet. Lowfat milk, fruit, and even veggies have natural sugars in them. If you aim for 2-3 servings each of fruits and veggies you are going to go over on sugar. I know from reading other posts, that there is a camp here on MFP that believes you should restrict or cut out most fruit, but I personally believe that that is not healthy, and it scares me to see people cutting out these nutritious good for you foods. Refined sugars are the problem. So I guess, just look at the source. If most of your sugar is coming from natural sources, then don't worry about it.
  • slbeutler
    slbeutler Posts: 205
    Options
    I always go over on my sugars according to MFP and I eat a VERY low sugar/carb diet. It seems if I add even one piece of fruit, it goes over. I would just pay attention to the types of sugars you are eating. Fruit is not a bad, soda would be bad. I did notice that bananas are really high in sugar. I try and stick to berries which are lower, but I don't think anyone got fat off of eating too many bananas.
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    Options
    Practically everything has sugar in it. Bananas are higher in sugar than an apple .. maybe nix the banana and go for some other non-tropical fruit.
    I wouldn't worry too much about the fruit sugars because they are natural and not refined and just watch carbs like someone else mentioned.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I believe that when you are dealing with obesity even the sugar in fruit can wreak havoc on your fat metabolism and can interfere with weight loss. I believe that obesity comes from chronically elevated insulin levels and high blood sugar (insulin resistance. Insulin is the primary regulator of fat metabolism). Fruit causes insulin spikes too. It's just with fruit you get nutrients with the sugar. (I don't discuss the fiber because my digestive issues went away with less fiber - more made them worse). i used to eat oatmeal and an apple for breakfast (even the "complex" carbs in oatmeal get broken down into simple sugars by the body). I would be hungry and shaking less than 2 hours later - because of the sugar crash. Now my breakfast consists of 3 eggs and 4 natural uncured bacon and I stay full for hours.

When I started my health journey I wasn't obese or even overweight but I most likely had the beginnings of Metabolic Syndrome. I was in the upper range of healthy. I spent six months dropping 9.6lbs doing it the way we are told to (count calories and lots of exercise). I went from 130+ to 120.6. Successful.
    I went Primal at the end of April - I cut out all carbs except veggie carbs and the occasional low-sugar berry. I upped my fat - check my signature for my ratios. Officially as of this morning I was 112lbs. I have no daily water fluctuations even during TOM. I have muscle definition. I didn't lose ANY lean muscle mass during this time - in fact I gained some. My body fat % has dropped about 4%-5% - I'm about 20% now. And this is with much less exercise, no calorie counting, no logging foods, no eating constantly all day to "keep my blood sugar elevated". No starvation mode. I do intermittent fasts, I eat lots of meat and fat and veggies. I stay away from processed foods, boxed foods. I'm not 100% - last night I had a piece of yummy key lime pie and some ice cream.

Now I will probably be "bashed" for this - not by you but possibly by other people. I go against the "conventional wisdom" because I believe it is based flawed science. Protein is essential, fat is essential. I don't believe there is a single "essential dietary carbohydrate" out there. Most of us these days don't eat the entire animal (organs, meat and fat) so we need veggies and some fruit for the nutrients (check out primalparent.com. Peggy can't eat any carbs AT ALL except tiny bits of sugar on occasion. If she does her PCOS comes right back). If I can learn to love liver and bone broth then I could give up all veggies and fruit and still be healthy.
  • scarletfever2005
    scarletfever2005 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I see this type of thread on here often. And honestly don't understand. Maybe because I'm diabetic, but i never go over on my sugars. It's not that hard. Just like anything else, you track it and stay away from things high in it.
  • Ashleysh22
    Ashleysh22 Posts: 209
    Options
    I struggle with the same problem. First - I disagree with pretty much all the macronutrient calculations on MPF. I recalculated my own using proper formulas for my own nutrient needs (I have a blog entry about how I calculated them if you are interested).

Second - like others have pointed out - there is a big difference between sugars. So I try to pay close attention to what I eat that day. Grains in general complicate sugars, even whole grains, like bread and pasta. But if all your sugars are coming from whole grain and fruit then I wouldnt worry about it.

Third - I really focus in on protein (where I am almost always high) and fiber because those are the two macronutrients I feel are most important for mental energy and my physical activities.
  • kerr2010
    Options
    I would definitely be interested in how you calculated your nutrient needs. Another thing I don't get is why the fiber allowance is so low for me. I always heard that the more fiber the better. I thought you were suppose to get at least 25 grams a day. Fiber helps keeps you fuller longer and from what I understand it helps your body metabolize the sugars in your system.
    I struggle with the same problem. First - I disagree with pretty much all the macronutrient calculations on MPF. I recalculated my own using proper formulas for my own nutrient needs (I have a blog entry about how I calculated them if you are interested).

Second - like others have pointed out - there is a big difference between sugars. So I try to pay close attention to what I eat that day. Grains in general complicate sugars, even whole grains, like bread and pasta. But if all your sugars are coming from whole grain and fruit then I wouldnt worry about it.

Third - I really focus in on protein (where I am almost always high) and fiber because those are the two macronutrients I feel are most important for mental energy and my physical activities.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I personally rarely eat fruit (only berries on occasion), but get my fiber and vitamins from green veggie's. For my dairy, I eat cheese and don't drink milk at all. That's just what I do that helps me stay close and under my sugar intake. On a good day, I usually consume 15 grams of sugar a day. I do eat sweets sometimes, though, but it's usually a piece or two of sugar free chocolate.

Oh and I take a multivitamin everyday as well.
  • kerr2010
    Options
    I agree. I cannot imagnie cutting out fruit because, like you said, they contain very valuable nutrients, some of which are not available in veggies. I also do not want to cut out dairy because it is so very necessary for women to get enough calcuim. I definately do not want to step off a curb in 20 years and break my hip.
    It is my opinion that the sugar values on MFP cannot possibly allow you to have a healthy diet. Lowfat milk, fruit, and even veggies have natural sugars in them. If you aim for 2-3 servings each of fruits and veggies you are going to go over on sugar. I know from reading other posts, that there is a camp here on MFP that believes you should restrict or cut out most fruit, but I personally believe that that is not healthy, and it scares me to see people cutting out these nutritious good for you foods. Refined sugars are the problem. So I guess, just look at the source. If most of your sugar is coming from natural sources, then don't worry about it.
  • kerr2010
    Options
    When I was pregnant I had gestational diabetes. I learned a lot of things about proper diets that I didn't know before about carbs and sugars. I found it was more about food pairings and making sure that you had a vegetable, fat or protien when you had a carbohydrate. Do you eat a lot of yogurts and milks? How do you get enough calcium?
    I see this type of thread on here often. And honestly don't understand. Maybe because I'm diabetic, but i never go over on my sugars. It's not that hard. Just like anything else, you track it and stay away from things high in it.
  • Ashleysh22
    Ashleysh22 Posts: 209
    Options
    Of course! I wrote an entry on my blog about calculating macronutrients. Then MFP allows you to alter your goals for each macronutrient individually and it takes into account increases associated with exercise.

here is the link!

http://www.homemadefit.com/2011/05/calculate-your-macronutrients-protein-fiber-carbohydrates-and-fat/
    I would definitely be interested in how you calculated your nutrient needs. Another thing I don't get is why the fiber allowance is so low for me. I always heard that the more fiber the better. I thought you were suppose to get at least 25 grams a day. Fiber helps keeps you fuller longer and from what I understand it helps your body metabolize the sugars in your system.
  • scarletfever2005
    scarletfever2005 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Honestly I never even think about my calcium. So I took a look back at my diary for the last few weeks. Most days in was over 100%. But there were a few that were around 50%. I looked and there is 20% in the multivitamin I take. I do usually have. Slice of cheese too. I eat a fairly well balanced diet so I guess I get a little here and there. I don't do a who,e lot of milk maybe a glass or two a week It's something I'll have to watch Showed me that I've been so focused on other things that I have been over looking some things. Thanksnfor that eye opener