1 lb difference on a different scale in the house, which scale do I trust?

Options
Noelishere
Noelishere Posts: 22 Member
edited January 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
My normal digital (newer) scale I’ve been using for a year is reading a pound lighter than another older digital scale in the house

How do I know which is my true weight?

I ate kind of bad yesterday so I wanted to double check on a different scale. I know a lb isn’t “a big deal” but I like to keep track to see what foods work well with me each day and which don’t

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Irrelevant. Your weight is a range, and it goes up and down from day to day. Use one scale and stick to that.

Yep. Pick one and stick to that one. Choose a set time of day to weigh. Most people like first thing in the morning, after using the bathroom, and either naked or in the same clothing. This gives the most accurate weigh-in.

All scales will show a bit different number. Don't make yourself crazy.
  • Noelishere
    Options
    Irrelevant. Your weight is a range, and it goes up and down from day to day. Use one scale and stick to that.

I know my weight changes every day I was actually asking a question about the scale, not the fact that weight fluctuates.
  • sdolan91
    sdolan91 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    every scales gonna say something different. just pick one. id pick the one that said i was heavier
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Noelishere wrote: »

I know my weight changes every day I was actually asking a question about the scale, not the fact that weight fluctuates.

You asked which one is your "true weight", but there is no such thing. I would use the newer one by virtue of the fact it may be more accurate, but as others have said, it really doesn't matter.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

Good! I answered your question about the scale too.
  • Scotty2HotPie
    Scotty2HotPie Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    lol at worrying about a 1 lb difference.... Now the scale at my doctor's office is about 5lbs heavy. But they won't listen to me.
  • Noelishere
    Options

No you didn’t.
  • Ryansworld84
    Ryansworld84 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    As long as you use the same scale every time it shouldn't matter as it should show the change relative. But you could get like a 20lb dumbell sit it on there and see what it says, assuming the dumbell is exactly the weight it says! But try not to get too hung up on the scale. I like using measurements or how my clothes fit more. You’ll find your method but dont let a scale become your worst enemy.
  • brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Most scales will have some variance in their reading depending on the slope of the floor they're on, and other minor factors like that. I try to make sure mine is level and stable but I don't really sweat it and I wouldn't sweat a 1lb skew personally.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    For the purpose of tracking your weight loss journey, any scale is going to show your actual progress. If a person starts weighing on scale A, and scale A says they've lost 20 lbs, they've lost 20 lbs. It serves no purpose to get on scale B and have it say they only lost 18 *because it's not the same scale*.
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Trust no scale.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    If its just a few lbs., I just pick the one that gives me the lowest reading, haha! Shouldn't really matter though as long as you pick one and stick with it. They're all a little different!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    If you want to test your scale take something that you know is a certain weight (such as 2 10lb dumbbells. Put them on the scales to check their accuracy.

Be sure the scale is on a hard surface not a rug (unless it's a flat rug like a berber or commercial type carpet)

But do use the same scale every time. Weigh yourself at the same time of day wearing the same clothes. I choose to weigh myself first thing in the morning when I get up, after I go to the bathroom, before I eat or drink anything, and wearing my underwear. That's the closest I can get to doing apples to apples weight comparisons.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Pick one scale to weigh on and stick to that one.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

No you didn’t.

Yes, she did. She said it was irrelevant. And she's right.
  • judefit18
    judefit18 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    as above- test the scale with a "given" weighted object, then use in the same spot at the same time with the same clothing (or none)- even moving it will change the calibration slightly.
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Those scales have an 1-2% error margin & variability.

Interesting read.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3890563/
    A study of 37 dial-type bathroom scales in British clinics reported inaccuracies of more than 1% compared with a calibrated electronic scale, suggesting that digital scales may be more accurate [12
  • brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    saintor1 wrote: »
    Those scales have an 1-2% error margin & variability.

Interesting read.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3890563/
    A study of 37 dial-type bathroom scales in British clinics reported inaccuracies of more than 1% compared with a calibrated electronic scale, suggesting that digital scales may be more accurate [12

Oh I definitely prefer digital for both my bathroom scale and my food scale. I had a cheap dial scale in the kitchen for a short while and it was a huge hassle to get a precise reading.