So does this actually work?

Options
So I started using the app yesterday. It said my total caloric intake would be 4040 and when I logged all my food in my diary I still had 2300 cal left for the day. With that information it said if I continue to eat like I did I would lose 25 pounds in five weeks. Could this be true? I threw out all the junk food in my house and replace it with healthy vegetables and lean meat trying to go low-carb

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    What are your stats?

Height, weight, sex, activity level?
  • brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    My weight losses and gains (I dropped a small quantity of fat and added a moderate amount of muscle) have all tracked exactly in keeping with my accounting for my food and exercise in the app. If you use the tools with precision the process works.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Chancefl wrote: »
    So I started using the app yesterday. It said my total caloric intake would be 4040 and when I logged all my food in my diary I still had 2300 cal left for the day. With that information it said if I continue to eat like I did I would lose 25 pounds in five weeks. Could this be true? I threw out all the junk food in my house and replace it with healthy vegetables and lean meat trying to go low-carb

4040 seems like a HUGE calorie target for weight loss - are you sure you entered your stats correctly??

This is what I was going to say...

It does work, but your stats and information need to be as accurate as possible and you have to put in the work.
  • slimbyjune18
    slimbyjune18 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It does if you put the right info in, if you log your food correctly (and weigh your portions). It’s not a magic wand, but will work if you invest the time and honesty with yourself to stick with it.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Like others said...it works if you enter everything correctly. I weigh and measure all my food, I'm honest about my entries (good and bad). I've been diligent with all of the above, making smarter food choices and exercise and I've been able to lose 50 pounds. I've done diets before, had periods of working out before and had no success. For me, this has been the only way to establish a permanent healthy lifestyle change!
  • Chancefl
    Chancefl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Have a read through this thread, you'll find some great tips and motivation. Good luck!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10600973/lose-200lbs-in-less-then-a-year/p1
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone Very insightful and I apologize again for posting the same post new to the app trying my best

We were all new to the app at some point!! Don't apologize!! Best of luck with your goals!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

4040 seems really high for a calorie deficit unless you are very big and an extremely active athlete. It is more like you have an error with your information or there is a bug. If you normally eat about 2300 and maintain or gain then you will not lose eating 4040 calories a day so there is something wrong.
    The app will give you a goal based on what you entered for your gender, age, height, weight and normal activity level without exercise as well as desired rate of loss. What is your information?

You don't have to drastically change your diet to lose weight just get the calories right. Many people who suddenly cut a lot of foods from their diet find it hard to sustain long term. You might want to make smaller dietary changes over time.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options

Yes it works. Log accurately and carefully.

You are still allowed what you ate before, as long as it fits into your calorie goal. If you are used to eating mostly "junk" food then switching to all vegetables and lean meat will likely mean you will get cravings and find it harder than you need to. It's about making choices that fit into your daily goal, and you do not have to feel deprived of all things you enjoy. Moderation is key.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    Lounmoun wrote: »

4040 seems really high for a calorie deficit unless you are very big and an extremely active athlete. It is more like you have an error with your information or there is a bug. If you normally eat about 2300 and maintain or gain then you will not lose eating 4040 calories a day so there is something wrong.
    The app will give you a goal based on what you entered for your gender, age, height, weight and normal activity level without exercise as well as desired rate of loss. What is your information?

You don't have to drastically change your diet to lose weight just get the calories right. Many people who suddenly cut a lot of foods from their diet find it hard to sustain long term. You might want to make smaller dietary changes over time.

He's 600lbs, I think the calorie deficit is accurate.

Agree.