Frustration

Samanimal83
Samanimal83 Posts: 28 Member
edited September 19 in Motivation and Support
I'm ready to throw in the towel and at least enjoy being fat instead of beating myself up for it.... I feel like i try and try and am seeing no sucess. I"m not sure what I'm doing wrong. beyond my life being highly stressful lately and me getting little sleep, I'm doing everything else right. I feel like the stress and sleep factors are out of my control....

Poo. :sad:

Replies

• Samanimal83
    I'm ready to throw in the towel and at least enjoy being fat instead of beating myself up for it.... I feel like i try and try and am seeing no sucess. I"m not sure what I'm doing wrong. beyond my life being highly stressful lately and me getting little sleep, I'm doing everything else right. I feel like the stress and sleep factors are out of my control....

• allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    we need more info, give us some stats on what you are and aren't doing, maybe we can help :smile:
  • don't give up!! i have given up so many times. i have lost the same 20 lbs about 4 different times and the frustration I've felt gaining them back due to not trying anymore has been much more painful than the frustration of hitting a plateau or not seein results fast. i think its more important that we're trying and being conscious of our bodies than how fast we're seeing results.

slow and steady wins the race. keep up the good work!.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    you don't have a lot to lose. it's going to come off slowly. very slowly. stick with it
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Just a thought...highly stressful + little sleep often = little to no weight loss. That doesn't mean you should quit. Just try to relax a bit. Maybe take up an exercise that has breathing techniques or meditation...if your a Christian, daily Bible time...that can relieve stress and may help you to lose weight better.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member

How often do your work out and for how long?
    Are you drinking all your water & Sticking to your allotted calories?
    The calories you choose are they empty calories or ones that really provide good nutrition?
  • Myth
    Myth Posts: 285 Member
    I promise you will regret it the second you take that first bite of what ever it is you are gonna eat. Try not feeling frustrated but happy that you dont feel guilty, mad at your self and just plan fat. You can do it is well worth it. :)

Shan
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Okay.... breathe.
    You only have 19lbs to lose.
    Which means, it's gonna be a pain in the butt.... it's gonna be slow and hard and annoying.
    Cause while others who have more to lose are dropping 3-4 lbs a week... you are losing tiny amounts or none.
    Make sure your eating what you should (amounts, foods, etc).
    Maybe switch up your workout routine.

You look great, and have already accomplished a lot (50lbs after your kiddos is awesome!).
    Maybe take it easy... don't stress so much about it.

:flowerforyou:
  • don't give up,....you'll do fine.

However, not sleeping really affects weight. I've been going to a sleep doctor for diagnosis of sleep apnea...and when our body doesn't rest it messes up our bodies metabolism...along with other stuff. So before you give up...work on getting some rest. 6-8 hours of restful sleep a night might be all you need to pull off those pesky 19 lbs
  • Mickie17
    Mickie17 Posts: 559 Member
    OMGosh!!!!!!!! I have had these thoughts sooooooooooooo many times, it's not even funny. I bet you really do feel like crying right now. It sucks, but you've already pointed out a few things that are triggers for lack of success in weight loss.

1) Stress.....what exactly is stressing you out? Let's see if you have some way to squeeze in some stress reduction techniues into your day...like even a 5 minute walk. It makes a world of difference. Or some deep breathing exercises. (An easy, but weird place, to do this is in the restroom...nobody will know what you're doing behind that stall)!!!!:wink:

2) Lack of sleep...this is huge. Sleep deprivation make the body more hungry, because it's fighting to stay away, when it needs to be resting and recharging. Why aren't you sleeping?

Tackle these two obstacles first and the weight loss will be easier to work on after!
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Hang in there baby. I found that money and stress are out of my control right now, but what I put in my body and how I chose to get healthy is my control....I can control this.....keep it up as best you can and keep going!!!!!!!!!!!

GO GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Samanimal83
    More information...:

I exercise ALOT. I've been an exercise nazi for the last few years. I do about 45 min of cardio 5 times a week. My cardio is usally 20 min of running, 15 of eliptical, and 10 of rowing machine.

I eat well also... In the beginning when I lost my innitial weight, I pretended I was a diabetic. I completely cut out all sugar and sources of sugar. I still ate breads and pastas, but I bought the kinds that were a really dense wheat. Lately, in feeding my depression, I've been eating sugar free sweets. While stil sugar free, they have calories. I have, however, been making sure to stay within my calorie allotment. So- while staying within my 1200 calories, I'm not always eating the most nutritious things...

Stress: Caused by a million sources. I'm paying 2 house payments right now (long story...). I'm planning a wedding (yeah... the one that I'm not going to fit into my dress at...), and I'm working 2 jobs. On top of all of that, have huge amounts of guilt about not spending as much time with my kids as I wish I could because of my work schedule.

Sleep: I'm working two jobs! I get to bed around midnight, and get up at 4:30. I'm exausted.
  • ChubbyBunny
    I know this is controversial here more often then not...
    Do you eat your exercise calories or only eat 1200 calories, no matter how much you work out?
  • Samanimal83
    I eat my calories, mostly because sticking to the 1200 is hard enough, and after a work out, i need something more. Usually... it ends up being a bowl of cereal. I know... not the greatest choice, but still within the calories.
  • ChubbyBunny
    Hmmmmm....
    Maybe trying to play with your ratios (carbs, fat, protein)
  • Mickie17
    More information...:

I exercise ALOT. I've been an exercise nazi for the last few years. I do about 45 min of cardio 5 times a week. My cardio is usally 20 min of running, 15 of eliptical, and 10 of rowing machine.

I eat well also... In the beginning when I lost my innitial weight, I pretended I was a diabetic. I completely cut out all sugar and sources of sugar. I still ate breads and pastas, but I bought the kinds that were a really dense wheat. Lately, in feeding my depression, I've been eating sugar free sweets. While stil sugar free, they have calories. I have, however, been making sure to stay within my calorie allotment. So- while staying within my 1200 calories, I'm not always eating the most nutritious things...

Stress: Caused by a million sources. I'm paying 2 house payments right now (long story...). I'm planning a wedding (yeah... the one that I'm not going to fit into my dress at...), and I'm working 2 jobs. On top of all of that, have huge amounts of guilt about not spending as much time with my kids as I wish I could because of my work schedule.

Sleep: I'm working two jobs! I get to bed around midnight, and get up at 4:30. I'm exausted.

HOLY MOLY GIRL!!!!!!!!!!! Your body is stressed to the max. STOP(!!!!) worrying about LOSING the weight, you need to make sure you don't lose your MIND first. When I say that, I do NOT mean go and pig out on crap food....continue to make healthy choices...obviously. You body and your BRAIN need that foremost. What kind of break do you have in between jobs, and what kind of breaks do you have on the job?

I ask this because you might be able to multi-task your cardio. You mentioned not having enough time with your kids....maybe instead of 45 min on machines, you could go for walks with them for 45 min....you get your exercise, and you have time to be with them. Also, at work, during breaks you might want to go on little "stress reduction strolls" unwind your brain a little, stretch your body...maybe get a co-worker or two to do some yoga or tai chi with you??? Even if you only have a 15 minute break, you could get in at least 13 minutes of exercise????:smile:

Obviously, you need more sleep....but I, too, understand what you are going through with the 2 mortgages thing. (I have have two mortgages and a 2nd out on one of the houses....and now I'm being threatened to be laid off my teaching job, because of our state's budget...oh and did I mention the people who graciously rented our other house, to help us out, are now moving)!!!! UGH!!! So I get it. Any chance you have a little time for a power nap here and there during the day?

My heart goes out to you....but please know that your mental health is just as important as your healthy body! Hang in there!!!!:heart:
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    HOLY MOLY GIRL!!!!!!!!!!! Your body is stressed to the max. STOP(!!!!) worrying about LOSING the weight, you need to make sure you don't lose your MIND first.
    My heart goes out to you....but please know that your mental health is just as important as your healthy body! Hang in there!!!!:heart:

That's exactly what I wanted to say, but you did a better job of it.:laugh:
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    the last 20 pounds is the hardest to lose so stop beating yourself up. Will 20 put you at the "perfect" number? We all have or had one. The number that we picture in our head will make us look like the next cindy crawford or halle berry (yeah my age is showing here :happy: ) I decided that there is no such thing as a perfect number. It is an imagined number that we think will make us perfect. I had one, it was 126. I decided a few months ago, to sustain that number, I would have to eat 1200 calories for the rest of my life. I now weigh 135. I now consider it my perfect number. It took me all my life to realize this. I can eat, I exercise, I have no rolls and I have muscle tone. Is my body perfect nope not a chance, but I realized there is no perfect. Your fiance is marrying you because he loves you and the way you look, don't ruin your anticipation of your upcoming day because you think you may not reach your goal. You are just beating yourself up and making yourself feel bad. Geez you are adding to all that stress you are already under. You wouldn't let someone else treat you like that so why let yourself.

I think your problem, besides wanting the weight off yesterday (I was there too) and thinking you are working like a dog and getting nowhere (yep me again) you are feeling like you are working so hard and you get nothing but disappointment. I can relate.

Every day that you work out and eat properly is one day closer to where you want to be, even if the scale doesn't immediately show it. That is what you have to keep remembering. Unfortunately, we are not patient people, and that sometimes our impatience ruins whatever good intentions we set out with. My progress was slow. It took me about six months to get 7 pounds off. Sounds awful I know, but when I got it off, I was toned and in shape and realized I didn't have to lose 17, seven did it for me.

You work out a lot. A lot more than me. You are burning a lot of calories, I think you need to trick your body for a while and feed it more. I know you only have a couple of months so not much time to try new things, but if you read the posts on here a lot of people couldn't lose until they upped their calories to around 1400 per day plus their exercise calories. If you are eating 1200 your body doesn't have any extra to work with and can barely squeak out the essential function with what you are feeding it. Fuel is as important for your body as it is for a car. When a car runs out of gas, it chugs and goes on and does not work properly. When your body runs out of food it knows it can't work properly and slows down your metabolism so it can reserve energy for its essential functioning, so it isn't letting go of the love handles when you aren't giving it enough. They are the body's reserve and it will do everything it can to keep them. From the amount you are working out, and stressing and not sleeping, I think your body requires more. Maybe you underestimate how many calories you burn when you exercise.

I know eating more goes against what we have learned our entire lives to lose weight, but it is logical, enough calories in are a necessary part of living. It makes your body work right.

I hope no one takes offense, just my thoughts on what has worked for some people in the past and myself. Repeat, every day to yourself "I exercise and eat properly, I am one day closer to my goal, whether the scale says it or not. That can be your mantra :wink:
  • Mickie17
    the last 20 pounds is the hardest to lose so stop beating yourself up. Will 20 put you at the "perfect" number? We all have or had one. The number that we picture in our head will make us look like the next cindy crawford or halle berry (yeah my age is showing here :happy: ) I decided that there is no such thing as a perfect number. It is an imagined number that we think will make us perfect. I had one, it was 126. I decided a few months ago, to sustain that number, I would have to eat 1200 calories for the rest of my life. I now weigh 135. I now consider it my perfect number. It took me all my life to realize this. I can eat, I exercise, I have no rolls and I have muscle tone. Is my body perfect nope not a chance, but I realized there is no perfect. Your fiance is marrying you because he loves you and the way you look, don't ruin your anticipation of your upcoming day because you think you may not reach your goal. You are just beating yourself up and making yourself feel bad. Geez you are adding to all that stress you are already under. You wouldn't let someone else treat you like that so why let yourself.

I think your problem, besides wanting the weight off yesterday (I was there too) and thinking you are working like a dog and getting nowhere (yep me again) you are feeling like you are working so hard and you get nothing but disappointment. I can relate.

Every day that you work out and eat properly is one day closer to where you want to be, even if the scale doesn't immediately show it. That is what you have to keep remembering. Unfortunately, we are not patient people, and that sometimes our impatience ruins whatever good intentions we set out with. My progress was slow. It took me about six months to get 7 pounds off. Sounds awful I know, but when I got it off, I was toned and in shape and realized I didn't have to lose 17, seven did it for me.

You work out a lot. A lot more than me. You are burning a lot of calories, I think you need to trick your body for a while and feed it more. I know you only have a couple of months so not much time to try new things, but if you read the posts on here a lot of people couldn't lose until they upped their calories to around 1400 per day plus their exercise calories. If you are eating 1200 your body doesn't have any extra to work with and can barely squeak out the essential function with what you are feeding it. Fuel is as important for your body as it is for a car. When a car runs out of gas, it chugs and goes on and does not work properly. When your body runs out of food it knows it can't work properly and slows down your metabolism so it can reserve energy for its essential functioning, so it isn't letting go of the love handles when you aren't giving it enough. They are the body's reserve and it will do everything it can to keep them. From the amount you are working out, and stressing and not sleeping, I think your body requires more. Maybe you underestimate how many calories you burn when you exercise.

I know eating more goes against what we have learned our entire lives to lose weight, but it is logical, enough calories in are a necessary part of living. It makes your body work right.

I hope no one takes offense, just my thoughts on what has worked for some people in the past and myself. Repeat, every day to yourself "I exercise and eat properly, I am one day closer to my goal, whether the scale says it or not. That can be your mantra :wink:

Well put!!!!!!!!! (Great advice for all of us, really)! :smile:
  • Samanimal83
    Thanks for the advice... You are right. I just need help remembering this most days. :smile:
This discussion has been closed.