Weight fluctuation: did I lose 4 lbs already? (another question for the pro's)

Options
So here I am again, with a question. I am trying to feel my way through this new change, and get advice for what is right for me. I am 5'5", starting weight ca 154-155 exactly 16 days ago. I try to go for 1200 cal per day, as my maintenance is something like 1650 cal per day. I think with my failures to meet the goal I have been eating roughly 1300/day. I have gotten some comments that I am trying to hard with restricting myself from eating dairy, gluten and added sugar and that 1200 might be too little to fuel the 40 min cardio/strength I do each day. It took forever for the scale to move, but I lost 2.5 inches in my waist and a little less than an inch in hips. Today I stepped on the scale and it is 150.2. Did I lose 4 lbs? I noticed it can be higher in the morning, like 1 lbs difference. I know this is normal, but I wonder, what do you count as progress? Do you count the lowest weight on the scale? Since fluctuations can be up to 5 lbs, can I honestly say I lost 4 lbs already? Is that a good "speed" of losing?

Another question: my digestive system is totally out of whack. Incomplete bowels, diarrhea, flatulence... it is a little hard to go out among people to be honest. I also have heartburn and a weird taste in my mouth. Yikes.

Is this all normal or an indicator I am overdoing it? I am encouraged to continue this way as I see some results, but do not want to burn out.

Thankful for your advice.

Replies

• ckdprevent
    ckdprevent Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    4 lbs is weight loss in my book. Most healthy weight loss is 1 - 2 lbs a week. I'm 5'6" and on 1800 calories. I couldn't maintain the 1250 the MFP put me on. I am losing weight on the 1800. Remember muscle weighs more than fat. I'm not a nutritionist or a doctor. But in my research there is nothing wrong dairy or gluten unless you have a disease process to those things (i.e. Celiac disease or allergy to milk or lactose intolerant). Sugar yes everyone needs to watch. I wish you the best.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    It feels pretty over-doing it to me. Have you seen a doctor about your digestive troubles? Maybe start there, as that sounds pretty uncomfortable. Even if you are avoiding gluten, those symptoms are somewhat consistent with Celiac disease (and other conditions), so even if you're taking in some gluten only via cross-contamination, you could have those symptoms.

That said, 4lbs is somewhat consistent with those early "whoosh" losses from losing water weight in addition to fat, but I do think 1200 is too low and hard to sustain. If you're doing any exercise at all, getting to the 1300 mark is probably just fine--even a little higher and you'll still probably lose consistently. If you're trying to lose more than 1lb per week, your deficit is too large with your stats.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,732 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Trending weight app or web site.

Review trend over 4-6 week period that includes at least one menstrual cycle if set-up that way!

Happy scale
    Libra
    Trendweight.com
    Weightgrapher.com

For most people, If they're really wondering if they're overdoing it... they probably are!