Pears...yuck!

Options
jessradtke
jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
I love just about every fruit on the planet except for pears. Nobody in my family likes them either. BUT we're getting pears in our food co-op share every week, so I need to find some way to use them. I've tried to hide them in my smoothies, but the grainy texture turns me off. I don't get enough at one time to make pear butter. Does anyone have any good recipes to help me eat these nasty things? lol

Replies

• Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I don't have a recipe for it personally, but I've heard you can bake pears sort of like baked apples. :-)
  • JCPruitt
    JCPruitt Posts: 53
    Options
    another idea is to freeze the pears until you have enough to make pear butter.
  • tamarab3
    tamarab3 Posts: 64
    Options
    You can also make an apple(pear)sauce with them. Peel and core them, then cook in a sauce pan with 1-2 tbsp of water for about 10 minutes. Put in the blender/food processor and add cinamon. Blend until applesauce consistancy.
  • sgarret823
    Options
    Try when they aren't quite so ripe. I make a 'pudding' from plain greek yogurt, vanilla protein powder, a dash of vanilla, a drop or two of lemon juice and dice a pear into it. I make this with apple or pear alternately at least once a week for my morning snack.

If they are crisper you can use in place of apple in almost anything.

Also - how about drying them? Dehydrated would reduce/remove the texture issue.
  • patiencez2
    patiencez2 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    you can cook them in a sauce pan, add cinnamon a little promise lite.
    Realy not bad.