A little annoyed by this weight training recommendation.

Options
Ill keep it short. I used to do all cardio. Then I started doing light weights(5 lbs. Maybe 10 for squats). Then I read into women who lift heavier weights and decided to push myself more. Not saying I lift 50lbs dumbbells. But I now do 15-20lbs (5-10 for weaker muscle groups) depending on the exercise. And I am proud of myself.

But I keep coming across people who keep saying I should go back to 5-10lbs pounds so I don't get "bulky" and I thought this was proven to be false?

It just kinda annoys and discourages me.

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    That's because they don't know what they are talking about. My MIL told me she used to lift weights and had to stop because she couldn't fit her arms into her shirts any more (and she's not Hulk Hogan). Its a myth that keeps getting perpetuated. Lift those weights girl!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt pay people much attention when it comes to fitness. Most doctors have no clue, not alone a random person.
  • TRXRocks
    TRXRocks Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    don't listen to them. don't get discouraged. keep doing what youre doing!
  • JJYoyo
    JJYoyo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Trust me on this one -- you are not going to bulk out by accident. You should be proud of being able to do more weight. You are a long way from the sort of weight that will make you bulk out. For an extra challenge, slowly increase the reps you do with the higher weight in each set. Keep it up!
  • JJYoyo
    JJYoyo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Plus doing pure cardio will eventually beat the crap out of your body. You need strength exercises too
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    The only think that will get bulky is your bone density, and you will be grateful for that later in life.

Don't let uneducated people discourage you, always consider the source, and you know what you are doing so have some confidence in your decision making!

Keep up the awesome work!
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Yeah unless you’re taking your weekly dose of trenbolone you will never accidentally get “bulky” but if you somehow find out how to do that. Make sure to get rich off of it, because no one else knows how to do it. Let alone the people saying you’ll get bulky by strengthening yourself.

I know some people. High level powerlifters. Squatting and deadlifting 500+lbs like it’s a joke. Yet some guy who can’t lift half as much stands there and is twice his sized. Purely because of some chemical assistance.

Being strong can come without size.
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    RoseGranz wrote: »
    Yeah I figured they were wrong and I have no fear of getting "bulky". Just get tired of explaining myself because then it turns into "What do you know? You're fat". And I 100% plan on increasing my weights as I go. I want to be strong.

Wait wait wait, out of shape people told you that you were gonna get bulky ?
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    Here is a detailed video about what really happens.
    https://youtu.be/PSC5C-9kMQQ
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    heytimsla wrote: »
    Here is a detailed video about what really happens.
    https://youtu.be/PSC5C-9kMQQ

@quiksylver296

Is this what you look like now????