Police academy physical fitness test

Options
Help me... I need tips on passing my test. At least the vertical jump part.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    It's more about being coordinated than anything. Practice it. A lot.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Help me... I need tips on passing my test. At least the vertical jump part.

Do you mean the fences?

My test had 2 fences. One all 6 ft tall wood and one 8ft chain link.

The wood fence is hardest for most people, particularly those who are shorter and heavier.

The trick is NOT to try to muscle yourself over.

You have to be able to time your jump to place your foot on the wall, then grab the top of the fence w/your hands and use your momentum to help you "push" yourself up to full extension w/your arms and then straddle the top w/a leg to complete the climb by swinging the other leg over and jumping down.

If you're shorter it helps to have "sticky" soled shoes to gain some purchase against the surface of the wall to propel you higher.

This all happens in one coordinated movement and doesn't take more than 2-3 secs to complete when done right.

No way to practice this unless you can use the wall at the academy, build one yourself or find one w/the right dimensions that you can use.

The chain link is easier for most people. You can use the same technique as for the wood fence but have to adjust for the "give" of the chain link.

If you can't get over that way, you can just grab and climb using the holes in the chain link for finger and toe holds. Probably lots of places where there's chain link that you can practice on.

• Plussizebarbie17
    Plussizebarbie17 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank You! no it is just holding a cylinder and jumping 12" past your reach. Not too hard but I am short so it is more challenging to me I guess. I am almost there.
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it varies from state to state.
  • Plussizebarbie17
    Options
    it does... in MI it is very simple at least for LCC
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    I paid to go through the police academy in PA years ago and it was a six month academy training. Now to apply to individual PD's most of them were similar. Timed run, push ups, sit ups, pull ups, trigger pull, etc. Then there was the test which military people get 10 points on every test, at least for county police. I never applied for the city. Well if I was you I'd just start running b/c that was a lot of the police academy training. Good luck.
  • Plussizebarbie17
    Options
    Thank you!