New to Yoga - Help!

Options
Hello MFP friends,

I've decided to incorporate yoga into my crazy workout lifestyle! :wink: Would you mind offering some suggestions, motivation, warnings, etc. to keep me going? I've done 2 classes already and am indifferent...maybe out of fear. I'm determined to conquer it.

Feel free to add me as a friend. :smile:

Replies

• Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling indifferent, try a different style. Yoga is eminently customizable . Want something challenging and fast paced? Try ashtanga or vinyasa. Want to relax and workout the kinks? Try Yin or restorative. Want a spiritual experience? Try kundalini or anusara. Just want to learn the basics and proper alignment? Try hatha or Iyengar. I've even seen videos for meditative yoga-based dancing.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I am in love with Yin. Not only does it help with recovery from lifting and help increase my range of motion, it has taught me meditation. I also have a much better mind/muscle connection now and can quickly isolate what muscles are tight and "command" them to release. I do other types of yoga too occasionally and it can be very demanding. But I try to always find a place for Yin. Especially right before bed.
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I love yoga. My biggest advice is only look at your own mat. Don't worry about what your neighbours are doing. It's a very personal practice. Feel free to modify any movement as needed. Ask your yogi for tips on how to improve your movements.
  • 5838fish623
    5838fish623 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Check out yinyoga.com. Ekart Yoga, Yoga with Adriene. But diaphragmatic breathing is the key. Your breath connects the mind and body, without the proper breathing your just doing exercises.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    When I first started yoga, I had a hard time to quiet my mind. I would think about anything and everything except for my breath. It took several classes and a lot of determination to overcome that hurdle. Now....I can quiet my mind almost at any given time. It has helped my in so many aspects of my life and fitness journey! I would be lost without yoga now!
  • klsana00
    klsana00 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Doing my first class tonight after a loooong break. Nervous!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    What type of yoga are you doing? The studio I go to offers many different types of classes so I can pick and choose, depending on my workout schedule for the week. Try several different types and give it some time.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I did Bikram yoga for about a year -- loved the heat but it's an intense workout. Try different forms or even just different teachers. I would still be doing Bikram if I had the time/money for it.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    I do iyengar yoga and it took a few weeks to settle my mind and focus. I was use to a faster pace class and lifting.

I have found it really helps me focus when I'm lifting and isolate muscles.
    For other classes and general day to day activities I find my posture has improved- and I thought it was good before.

Give it time.

Cheers, h.
  • Bann554
    Bann554 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm 66.I had bursitis in my my hip and couldn't stand straight without pain. I went to PT for months and Dr. solution was meds. Also had back issues. I went to chiropractor for 5 months! I said enough. I started yoga almost a year ago. Bursitis went. I stand straight up. I take Restorative Yoga and Yoga for a Healthy Back. I class each per week. I love it. There are days I don't want to go, but I jump up, yeah I can jump now, and dash out the house. Hang tough. You will see results. Yoga's motto is "Do No Harm". Never push beyond your edge. If something is too tough, ask for a modification. Your body is doing things its never done before.
    You've got support!