Anyone doing Wheat free/Gluten Free??

Options
2»

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Im wheat free. Experimented and went off it felt soooo much better and haven't gone back. No more energy ups and downs. For fun I ate some bread to see what would happen. Felt so sore, tired and bloated. Soreness probably due to muscle being filled with glycogen and the tiredness due to the increased sugar then drastic decrease. Worst part was even though I ate under my daily cals, I gained 4 lbs. in 1 day that wheat just sucked up all the water weight it could. took a couple days to get the water weight off again.

I know you don't loose fat by not eating wheat like many have stated. But experiment and see how you feel eating and not eating it, then choose how you want to feel.

Actually, the wheat did not suck up all the water, the glycogen that your body produced from the wheat took a lot of water to store in the liver and the muscles. The same thing happens to all people who give up or drastically cut down on carbs - the body gets rid of the water as the stored glycogen is depleted and when those people eat carbs (like a re-feed), suddenly you add a lot of water to store the glycogen and poof, the number on the scale takes a large hit.
  • lili200
    lili200 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I try to keep gf,
    Add me if you feel like it
    The gluten I miss the most is beer..
  • lialiali
    lialiali Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am GF due to an autoimmune disorder that impacts thyroid function. Bring wheat free absolutely helped my thyroid function and therefore ability to regulate my weight. In addition I was retaining water- a ton. Fat or water I don’t want extra of either on my body.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    You'll lose weight if you eat in a calorie deficit, regardless of whether your food contains wheat. Measuring and tracking your food accurately will ensure you are in a deficit.

If you feel what products are problematic trigger foods for you, then certainly avoid them. I'd be wary of "holistic woo people," but I'm skeptical of everything. I stay away from chips, because I can't moderate them and they aren't satisfying or fit my calories.

I do eat other treats like chocolate and carbs with regularity though, just within my calorie goals.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I will say that a good portion of my diet is gluten free because my husband and daughter have Celiac, the only known and legitimate condition that requires a gluten free diet. We don't keep gluten in the house to prevent cross-contamination, so naturally most of what I eat is GF. You can look at my diary (there is some gluten in there, so just be mindful).
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    CoriPiche wrote: »
    You could easily lose that much in two weeks. I'm doing keto. And I've lost 7 pounds in a week and a half before.

Water weight....which will come back if/when you start eating carbs again.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I have celiac disease and have been gluten-free for going on 8 years. Understand that being gluten-free doesn't just mean avoiding foods containing gluten, it includes any gluten from anywhere that may get to your small intestine. That means no foods that may be cross-contaminated. Obvious sources of contamination are "gluten-free" baked goods baked and displayed alongside foods containing gluten, or corn taco shells fried or warmed on equipment also used for flour tortillas etc. More subtle sources include foods prepared on equipment shared with other foods containing gluten and hygiene products such as shampoo, conditioner, body wash, moisturizers and foundations (many of these products contain wheat). that may inadvertently get into your mouth and disgestive tract.

In my experience, going gluten-free had absolutely no impact on my weight, I lost and gained according to the amount of food I ate, the same as before diagnosis.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    sheilaraeb wrote: »
    I am on a no wheat diet because my doctor says its an inflamatory food and I have rheumatoid arthritis. I really miss bread It is true FOR ME that carbs will increase hunger

^Fixed it.........

Carbs are satiating for a number of people.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I'm gf and was years before my licensed medical doctor ordered me to be. I don't really think you need an m.d. to tell you if you feel better or not eating a certain food. You notice if you feel better. And you can even order your own lab tests for celiac. I don't actually have the standard celiac symptoms, but being gf really helps my fibromyalgia, thyroid antibody numbers and symptoms, constipation, allergies and a few other things. I never did have the typical diarrhea, but got tested for celiac for other reasons.

Some people say they lose weight eating gf, probably those who replace gluten with vegetables. I suspect a whole lot more gain weight because they start buying special gf products which are usually higher in calories, sugar and starch than their gluten-filled counterparts. Gluten does not effect my weight.