Squats on my Bathroom Breaks

Options
I just started doing 10-15 squats on my bathroom breaks (I'd say I take at least 6 during my shift) at work (I have a desk job). I haven't started working out again yet (6 month hiatus :s - life has thrown some curveballs) but will definitely be getting back into the swing of things in the next 3 weeks when my family and I get settled into our new home. I'm well aware I won't grow a Kim K sized butt by doing this lol, but I was just wondering if anybody has ever seen any noticeable results from small habit changes like this. Either way I will probably continue to do them at least until I start back into a dedicated routine as I think it's already helping me with circulation (normally I'm pretty cold at work but I haven't been today ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ). Just curious, really.

Replies

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Squats never did much for my butt. They did help me build some quads finally. Hip thrusts or glute bridges are better at targeting glutes, though you may get some weird looks around your workplace.
  • southrnchic479
    southrnchic479 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    You're probably getting more mental motivation than anything physical.

I won't say doing them does literally nothing- but it's probably completely negligible.

BUT- I'm guessing your getting mental moto to go improve other aspects of your life- and or go home and do more- which that in and of itself- is extremely valuable. So don't discount that.

That's pretty much what I was thinking...sometimes the mental part is half the battle!
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    The mental part is good and doing some exercise is better than nothing, just maintain reasonable expectations. It's possible it can reduce some of the detraining effect from the last 6-months. If you want more of a challenge, try doing frontal plane lunges with a balance. I've met folks that are fairly well trained that can't do these with weight, so might be good for you in your current situation.

https://magazine.nasm.org/images/default-source/the-training-edge-magazine/Jan-Feb-2015/side-lunge-to-balance.jpg?sfvrsn=2

Just realized the A / B pic is mixed up. Basically when you lung down you stand-up and bring the opposite leg up with you. So if you lunge to your right, as your right leg stands you back up (extends), bring the left leg up to your chest. The exercise has hip and knee flexion (like a squat) but because it's done unilaterally and in a different plane of movement, it can be more challenging when done with only body-weight.
  • southrnchic479
    southrnchic479 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Acem24 wrote: »
    You want a butt! Let's list some things
    1. On all fours, do leg lifts straight back. Do one leg at a time. So you can tire fast and find out which cheek is stronger.
    2. Hamstring stretches
    3. Stretches are important
    4. Stand up, hold on to something, swing your straight leg back. Do one leg at a time.
    5. Add weight when it gets to easy
    6. Smile cause the world is both beautiful and cruel.

In regards to #1 - What should I do if one cheek is stronger than the other?? I'm pretty sure I know which is my weaker one - every time I do fire hydrants my right is burning and my left is like, 'naw man I'm good' lol
  • Acem24
    Acem24 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Acem24 wrote: »
    You want a butt! Let's list some things
    1. On all fours, do leg lifts straight back. Do one leg at a time. So you can tire fast and find out which cheek is stronger.
    2. Hamstring stretches
    3. Stretches are important
    4. Stand up, hold on to something, swing your straight leg back. Do one leg at a time.
    5. Add weight when it gets to easy
    6. Smile cause the world is both beautiful and cruel.

In regards to #1 - What should I do if one cheek is stronger than the other?? I'm pretty sure I know which is my weaker one - every time I do fire hydrants my right is burning and my left is like, 'naw man I'm good' lol

Focus it! one legged squats are my fav. You have so much control. 12 on weak leg. And 8 on strong leg. Then with both legs do really slow squats. Like slow and low! Also another possibility is leg length. My left leg is alittle bit longer and my left foot is alittle longer. So I had to focus it a lot.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Doing 1 little thing won't amount to much. But, doing a lot of little things can add up. I used to use my house as a gym and do a bunch of little things through out the day.

1. lunges while brushing teeth
    2. jumping jacks while waiting for shower to heat up
    3. high knee jumps while waiting for microwave/toaster
    4. sit ups on commercial breaks
    5. dips on side of tub after going to the bathroom

and whatever else you can think of. Basically, anytime I was standing around waiting for something, I'd find a quick exercise to do.
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I've taken to doing push ups on the window ledge on my bathroom breaks, I do a lot of running and walking but struggle to be motivated to fit in strength sessions so I figured every little bit helps.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    depends how often you pee :smiley:

nah, i don't know the answer. i do the same thing actually, but for me it's more because i can't resist trying to check myself for buttwink in a full-length mirror.
  • Havanaohlala
    Havanaohlala Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If your knees are okay after a year of such breaks... than okay. :neutral: But for me too much squats lead to knee pain. If I do them, I do them in the gym in combination with other exercises and it works great for me.