Calorie Goal on App

Options
I have a huge issue with the automatic calorie goal this app suggests. Mine is automatically set at 756kcal/day. This is NOT a healthy goal, misleading and can be dangerous. There is no way you can get your nutrition in at this level. Does anyone else have an issue with this? I think MyFitnessPal is irresponsible for promoting this type of dieting.

Replies

• murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    No matter how I mess with my stats and goals, I can't get my MFP to give me less than 1200 calories, which is supposed to be the minimum for women. You might want to contact MFP about this.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Agree with others - your goal should not be below 1200. Are you seeing something like Calories Remaining, after you've entered food into your diary?
  • lauriebelongie
    lauriebelongie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Great thanks for the response guys!! I thought I was going crazy... I’ll take a screen shot and ask...
  • lauriebelongie
    Options
    e0q0ddqaqwwc.jpeg
  • lauriebelongie
    Options
    Plus I can’t find any help on the topic. Ugh.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    Double check your height is in correct units and check your age.

If that is not the issue, I would recommend opening a Case with Customer Support on the MFP Help/FAQ pages...

http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/emails/new
  • BBum69
    BBum69 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The program auto calculates to a minimum of 1200 for a female, 1500 for a male, but the low limit for a manual set up is 100. You can change it manually under the "Goals" tab. Or, if you change either the amount that you want to lose per week or the activity level settings, and then change it back, it will recalculate for you. If you change it manually, it will stay at that setting until you change it again, but the auto setting will change as you lose weight and age, down to the 1200/1500 minimums.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Can you screen capture your setting page?

Like this

pb4xeui9ts9o.png
  • lauriebelongie
    Options
    Mine doesn’t look anything like that. Is that under “goals” in the main menu? I’ve tried to look under that and edit my profile. Neither even resemble that page.
  • lauriebelongie
    Options
    mah11i3wtc19.png
    hxar5mx4snpp.png
    73dovqw9wcah.png
  • lauriebelongie
    Options
    I’ve tried changing to percent... that doesn’t work either.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Did you adjust your protein, carbs, or fat? MFP will use those numbers to create your calorie goal. Carbs and protein are worth 4 calories per gram and fat 9 calories.
  • BBum69
    Options
    Under the "Nutrition Goals" header, tap the "Calorie and Macronutrient Goals" tab. Then tap "Calories".
  • lauriebelongie
    Options
    Where can I find “update your diet profile”
  • BBum69
    Options
    Where can I find “update your diet profile”

That's on the website, not the app.
  • lauriebelongie
    Options
    Ooooooooooooo. Ok I’ll look!!

• lauriebelongie
    Options
    Sweet Baby Jesus it worked!!! Thank you so much!!! I STILL think it should default but I’ll take the fix... thanks again everyone!
  • BBum69
    Options
    Sweet Baby Jesus it worked!!! Thank you so much!!! I STILL think it should default but I’ll take the fix... thanks again everyone!

Right, if you want to go back to default, just change your activity level to something else, then change it back to active. It should go back to auto calc.