collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Ah, never mind. I see the stats now.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    By far, I think the most common mistake people make is logging incorrectly. MFP works, but the more accurately you log, the better it will work for you. This thread collects a ton of good information about how to log correctly: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads#latest. Some of the highlights:

1. Log everything -- cooking oil, butter, drinks, vegetables, etc.
    2. Choose accurate entries. That means logging every individual component of a meal (i.e., finding individual entries for the peanut butter, jelly and bread, instead of just finding an entry that says "PB&J").
    3. Don't use entries marked "generic" or "homemade" unless you created the homemade recipe using the recipe builder tool.
    4. Try to measure your food with as much accuracy as is feasible. Using a food scale for solids is best; using measuring cups/spoons is next, and eyeballing is worst. Use measuring cups/spoons for liquid.

Agree with all of this. And if logging and measuring are really overwhelming or frustrating for you, know that you don't necessarily need to do it for ages and ages. The point is just to figure out how much you're eating so that you can know if you are in a deficit or not. But the scale will tell you this over time, too. If you are losing weight, you're in a deficit, and if you're gaining, you're not. But related to that, the second most common mistake around here is probably losing patience and giving up. Something you'll see a lot if you stick around on the forums is "weight-loss isn't linear." It can take time before you see results, sometimes you'll have really consistent losses for weeks and then weeks with nothing, sometimes you'll gain weight overnight and not know why. This is all normal and you'll need to learn to roll with it. The system works if you let it. I'm down 40 lbs from this time last year, and I didn't even change the kind of food I eat, just the quantities.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    By far, I think the most common mistake people make is logging incorrectly. MFP works, but the more accurately you log, the better it will work for you. This thread collects a ton of good information about how to log correctly: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads#latest. Some of the highlights:

1. Log everything -- cooking oil, butter, drinks, vegetables, etc.
    2. Choose accurate entries. That means logging every individual component of a meal (i.e., finding individual entries for the peanut butter, jelly and bread, instead of just finding an entry that says "PB&J").
    3. Don't use entries marked "generic" or "homemade" unless you created the homemade recipe using the recipe builder tool.
    4. Try to measure your food with as much accuracy as is feasible. Using a food scale for solids is best; using measuring cups/spoons is next, and eyeballing is worst. Use measuring cups/spoons for liquid.

Agree with all of this. And if logging and measuring are really overwhelming or frustrating for you, know that you don't necessarily need to do it for ages and ages. The point is just to figure out how much you're eating so that you can know if you are in a deficit or not. But the scale will tell you this over time, too. If you are losing weight, you're in a deficit, and if you're gaining, you're not. But related to that, the second most common mistake around here is probably losing patience and giving up. Something you'll see a lot if you stick around on the forums is "weight-loss isn't linear." It can take time before you see results, sometimes you'll have really consistent losses for weeks and then weeks with nothing, sometimes you'll gain weight overnight and not know why. This is all normal and you'll need to learn to roll with it. The system works if you let it. I'm down 40 lbs from this time last year, and I didn't even change the kind of food I eat, just the quantities.
    100% agree with this. People get hung up on being perfect, and then flame out and quit when they slip up. (And everyone slips up at some point). Doing things that are good (but not perfect) over a long period of time will get you farther than doing something more extreme that you can only sustain for a short period of time.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Chancefl wrote: »
    So I started using the app yesterday. It said my total caloric intake would be 4040 and when I logged all my food in my diary I still had 2300 cal left for the day. With that information it said if I continue to eat like I did I would lose 25 pounds in five weeks. Could this be true? I threw out all the junk food in my house and replace it with healthy vegetables and lean meat trying to go low-carb

4040 seems really high for a calorie deficit unless you are very big and an extremely active athlete. It is more like you have an error with your information or there is a bug. If you normally eat about 2300 and maintain or gain then you will not lose eating 4040 calories a day so there is something wrong.
    The app will give you a goal based on what you entered for your gender, age, height, weight and normal activity level without exercise as well as desired rate of loss. What is your information?

You don't have to drastically change your diet to lose weight just get the calories right. Many people who suddenly cut a lot of foods from their diet find it hard to sustain long term. You might want to make smaller dietary changes over time.

He's 600lbs, I think the calorie deficit is accurate.

When I wrote my post I did not have that information that the OP was 600 lb sedentary male.
    Didn't say it couldn't be right if they were very large or very active just possibly wrong based on how much below they ate below that goal and being a lot highdr than most people. Errors happen occasionally either from the user side or a bug.
  • JillianRumrill
    JillianRumrill Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight without MFP, and I've lost weight with it. I will tell you this though- I lost MORE weight with MFP and FASTER than I did without it!
    I originally started off at 250lbs a few years ago, made a commitment to stop drinking soda, cut out junk food, and exercise. Dropped 40lbs after a year of doing so....then the weight started creeping back up on me. Joined MFP in October 2017 at 235 lbs. My daily intake is 1200- I'll be honest, it can be a struggle to eat that low and in the beginning I would exercise so I could eat more. I'm in a pretty good groove now and I've lost 25lbs in only 3 mos.
    But you gotta do the work. LOG EVERYTHING- EVEN CONDIMENTS! I don't exercise like I used to when I first started off at 250lbs, but I'm still losing the weight, and I don't feel as restricted. I like to pre-plan my meals in advance so I have a menu to follow. Even if at first you don't see any progress, keep at it, eventually you'll find your groove.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    Chancefl wrote: »
    So I started using the app yesterday. It said my total caloric intake would be 4040 and when I logged all my food in my diary I still had 2300 cal left for the day. With that information it said if I continue to eat like I did I would lose 25 pounds in five weeks. Could this be true? I threw out all the junk food in my house and replace it with healthy vegetables and lean meat trying to go low-carb

4040 seems really high for a calorie deficit unless you are very big and an extremely active athlete. It is more like you have an error with your information or there is a bug. If you normally eat about 2300 and maintain or gain then you will not lose eating 4040 calories a day so there is something wrong.
    The app will give you a goal based on what you entered for your gender, age, height, weight and normal activity level without exercise as well as desired rate of loss. What is your information?

You don't have to drastically change your diet to lose weight just get the calories right. Many people who suddenly cut a lot of foods from their diet find it hard to sustain long term. You might want to make smaller dietary changes over time.

He's 600lbs, I think the calorie deficit is accurate.

When I wrote my post I did not have that information that the OP was 600 lb sedentary male.
    Didn't say it couldn't be right if they were very large or very active just possibly wrong based on how much below they ate below that goal and being a lot highdr than most people. Errors happen occasionally either from the user side or a bug.

I didn't mean to offend you, just mentioning OP posted his weight. :)
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    It does work! Committing to the process of accurately measuring your food with a food scale and logging what you eat is essential. What you choose to eat to fill those calories matters not--as long as you feel satisfied--the weight will start to come off.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    This is a useful calculator - you can put in your stats to see the calories needed to maintain/lose 1 lb per week/etc:

http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

For a 2lb/wk weight loss, for example, here are the calories at different weights for a 25yo male, 6' tall:

Weight.....Sedentary..Lightly Active
    600..........3500c.......4150c
    500..........2950c.......3525c
    400..........2400c.......2901c
    300..........1900c.......2280c

So the number of calories goes down as you lose weight because you're feeding less tissue. At your weight, I'd want to clear exercise with your doctor before starting anything.
  • photocl1ck
    photocl1ck Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Chancefl, congratulations on your decision to go healthy this year and I wish you the best of luck!! With that said, as a trainer and nutritionist I will tell you there are healthy ways to lose weight and not so healthy ways and I hope your first step was to have a full checkup so are aware what you have to overcome and keep in mind when choosing foods. I also hope you have some additional guidance and motivation from a health coach, dietitian or clinic. This app is great for tracking your food, exercise, and being aware of your daily intakes of protein, fibre etc. Take the "if you keep eating this way you will weigh___ in ___ weeks" with a grain of salt. It can be a initial motivator, but can also cause frustration if you are eating at a deficit and not losing the weight it says you will.

Keep logging and best of luck.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    In addition to what others have stated, and tracking and staying in your deficit range, if you're finding yourself below your "recommended" range, listen to your body. If you're not hungry, and still below your calories, there's no reason for you to keep eating with your current status (athletes or very active people may have a different need).

I'd also suggest talking to a nutritionist to help you come up with a good day to day plan as they can ensure you are getting what you need to keep things headed in the right direction.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Yes it does
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Just in case OP is still reading this far into the post - one more bit of advice. Take a series of pictures of yourself now from the front and side. I know it’s probably really awkward and you might not be entirely comfortable but take the pics anyway and stick them in a draw or on the cloud somewhere safe.

When you are all skinny and svelte you’ll want those pics to amaze and impress people with your willpower and dedication.

Truth.
  • SoleTrainer60
    SoleTrainer60 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am very glad you chose a healthier lifestyle. Just remember , one day at a time, one step at a time. Also, try to get some exercise every day, but consult your doctor first, as to what you are allowed to do. Good luck on your journey to a healthier lifestyle. :)
  • judefit18
    judefit18 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for getting here and getting started, for posting a photo and looking for info! That IS the work, and if you keep at it, you will change your life- and that's what this is, life changing.

Find friends who can help and keep asking questions!! Good luck- I look forward to seeing your success!!!!
  • Jingsi84
    Jingsi84 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I don’t have anything to add to the great advice above except to reiterate that we are all pulling for you and can’t wait to see you in the success stories!