low sodium choices-unprocessed foods

Ok so I am looking to really watch my sodium and do away with as much processed food as possible. I dont eat a lot of it but I struggle with lunch choices at work. I usually have a protein shake for breakfast and often for dinner as well. My lunch choices are my main meal. I am struggling to find things to take for lunch that are feeling but mostly unprocessed without buying a salad everyday in the cafe.
I eat trader joes sliced almonds usually late in the day to give me a boost. I eat quite a bit of fresh fruit and anywhere from 120-150 ounces of water each day.

Im down 18 lbs and 9.5 inches in total in a bit over 4 months time. I work out 5 days a week regularly doing cardio and walk 30 minutes every day at work.

I really need some clean calorie ideas. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Replies

• ninjakitty419
    ninjakitty419 Posts: 349 Member
    Sorry I am of no help but I am posting so that I can find this thread again because I had the same question.
  • Hi I have asked the quesi-on as I have high blood pressure, so for lunch I have been getting crunchy salad getting those soja wraps and to give it a little flavor a chilli sauce spread thin and add some tuna or salmon and that gets me to my evening meal. I just keep watching the sodium, but I would like to know what the daily allowance of sodium is.

Marion
    :smile:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    First, I'm concerned that if you are replacing meals twice a day with shakes that you are not eating enough. 1200 calories is the bare minimum a woman should eat BUT most of us need more.

But to answer your question, what I often do for lunch and bring some left over meat, steak, chicken, taco meat, even pork chops (of course I cook dinners so these are left over from those, but you could just cook up a bunch of meat over the weekend) and a big tupperware of salad (it's 4.5 cups). I use a bag of salad, pre-chopped tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, sugar snaps peas, so it's really easy to make a veggie heavy salad. I often will heat up the meat, and then put it on the salad. Something about having something warm is nice.
  • First, I'm concerned that if you are replacing meals twice a day with shakes that you are not eating enough. 1200 calories is the bare minimum a woman should eat BUT most of us need more.

But to answer your question, what I often do for lunch and bring some left over meat, steak, chicken, taco meat, even pork chops (of course I cook dinners so these are left over from those, but you could just cook up a bunch of meat over the weekend) and a big tupperware of salad (it's 4.5 cups). I use a bag of salad, pre-chopped tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, sugar snaps peas, so it's really easy to make a veggie heavy salad. I often will heat up the meat, and then put it on the salad. Something about having something warm is nice.

more days then not I am eating 1200 calories or more. My shakes satisfy me and I enjoy them. I eat quite a bit of chicken. I guess I need to just get the salad stuff back in the house. I notice if I take it to work though by lunch time it is FULL of water and my salad is soggy, yuck. Hmmm, guess I will need to keep thinking about this. I also am rarely over my sodium and usually significantly under. There is so many opinions out there about what is a good daily max for sodium. Some things I read say no more than 1400 and others that say 2300 is ok. So I am so confused. I am also almost never go over my carbs or protein. Thanks for the input. I have some more thinking to do.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    I regularly go over sodium. By a LOT. I'm okay with that.