Plyo and long term knee health?

Options
Anybody have any information on plyo and long term knee health? My dad was a runner for more than 30 years, and shot his knees. The kinds of extreme plyo moves a lot of the programs are doing nowadays looks really iffy to me in terms of long term knee health.

The last thing I want to do is be so fit that I cripple myself!

Thoughts?

Replies

• ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    p90x shows modified moves in the plyo routine for those with knee issues (like me) and it is still a butt kicking good time.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Anybody have any information on plyo and long term knee health? My dad was a runner for more than 30 years, and shot his knees. The kinds of extreme plyo moves a lot of the programs are doing nowadays looks really iffy to me in terms of long term knee health.

The last thing I want to do is be so fit that I cripple myself!

Thoughts?

When doing P90X, I had to replace Plyo with the elliptical. It was way too hard on my bad knee. I'm trying to strengthen the use of my knees and plyo was only making them worse. Others may be having better results though.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    hi - I've always questioned the safety of the plyo moves and I think you are smart to think long term. Bad knees could run in the family and it wouldn't be worth the risk. PLUS there are so many other ways to exercise and be fit.

I wouldn't bother with modifying the move, I'd just exchange it for a completely safe and comfortable move.

Best of Luck!
  • whodatgirl
    Options
    Ohh my gosh amazing girl :]