Keto?

Options
I started Keto this week and so far Ive found it hard. Before, i used to eat all kinds of carbs and its been hard only eating 20g of carbs/day. My cravings for sweets are crazy. I started keto because i saw many people losing weight fast. What are other ways to lose weight fast? I tried being on a deficit, lost 10 pounds and my weight stalled. Any suggestions on what i should do? Should i continue keto?

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    You don't lose weight any faster on keto than you do on any other diet of equal calories. Don't believe all the charlatans preaching keto miracles because they're lies.

The best diet is the one you can stick to and is satisfying to you.
  • bakersdozen56
    bakersdozen56 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have lost 35 pounds on low carb in a little over two months. It gets easier as you go. I am a cook and always around food so I know how hard it is if you need support add me.
  • rickyjones1848
    rickyjones1848 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Keto isn't magic. It's still calories that matter, but it is a useful tool that helps you feel more satisfied on fewer calories if followed correctly. If you can't cut all carbs, just get rid of bread, cereal, sweets, and pasta. Those are the worst offenders. Potatoes, rice, and beans can be healthy if you watch portion sizes, but then it's no longer keto. No matter what you call it, it's still better than doing nothing.
  • amymcaleavey1965
    amymcaleavey1965 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    There are some things you can try to satisfy your sweet tooth - I got Swerve (no sugar no carb sweetener) and made hot cocoa - with almond milk and a little cream - very yummy. I find I do better if I plan my meals out in the beginning of the week - this past week has been a little crazy so I don't think I'm doing to well! If you're going to do Keto, you have to be pretty strict for the first few months to get your body
    Into full ketosis
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    As previously said, you need to eat at a deficit to lose weight. Keto included. Keto will usually help people lose a few pounds of water weight faster, but it is just water weight that will come back with higher carbs. If you don't have metabolic syndrome/insulin resistance, keto offers no real edge, and even for those with IR, the advantage is small.

If you want to continue with keto, upping salt/sodium intake can help curb cravings.

You could also increase carbs up to about 50g. Most people will be in ketosis under 50g of carbs a day unless they have metabolic issues like insulin resistance. Try doubling your carbs, or so, and see if that helps meet your cravings.

After about a week the cravings start to go for most people... if you are the type who crave things more when told you can't have it, keto could be tough for you.

• catvanzyl
    catvanzyl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Keto works amazing IF you do it right, it’s not just about eating bacon. Healthy fats like avocado and supplements like magnesium and potassium to prevent dehydration are key.

• catvanzyl
    catvanzyl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    PS: forgot to add my sweets come from fruit, teas, stevia sweetener and zevia soda which comes in many flavours, BUT another benefit of a keto diet is you crave sugars less.
  • MJ_Keto
    MJ_Keto Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Keto works great, but as others have said you do have to be super strict. And you have to get past the first week or two where you have "keto flu" (you feel awful). After that, you feel great and your cravings diminish. If a super strict diet isn't for you, then definitely just cutting back on carbs and counting calories works well.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    The first couple of weeks are the hardest because of double whammy of going through carb withdrawal and sugar withdrawal simultaneously.