Help!! Where to start in the gym

Options
I'm just starting to go to the gym. But I'm not sure where to start when I get there. When I'm there I feel like I don't know what I'm doing. Can any one help me

Replies

• Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Congrats on starting at the gym! You should see if your gym offers a tour and/or one free personal training assessment session. That might give you some ideas. Other than that, it's hard to offer any advice without knowing what your goals are. Cardio equipment is fairly self-explanatory, but I'd recommend easing into the free-weights or machines, until you know what you're doing.
  • Melolson14
    Melolson14 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I start on the tread mill.
    But how long show I do it.
    I can not do any running anymore
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I like the elliptical. I tried each model my gym has and found the one that was most comfortable. Recently, I've been using the rowing machine. Weights are also great, machines are okay if you're not comfortable with free weights.

Next time you go in, ask someone at the desk if a trainer can walk you through. When I joined, my walkthrough was rushed and I got nothing out of it - I found a friendly trainer who gave me a more detailed tour and showed me proper form with things I was interested in doing. She did that at no cost.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?

Are they cardio-related (ie, run a 5k, do sprints, etc) or are they strength-related (lift weights, get stronger, etc)?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,618 Member
    Options
    What do you enjoy and what are your goals? I really enjoyed group classes when I had a gym membership, but now I'm into free weights, running, and circuits.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i think first find out what's available at your gym. so yes - orientation or tour.

then next, out of what's available, think about kinds of htings you like better, or like the idea of better.

then once you've narrowed that down a little, do some research or go looking for programmes/suggestions in that area.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    the gym is a scary [lace when you firts start, defo ask a member of staff to give you a "tour/induction" this will really help.

I dont do weights at they gym (atm) as iv only just started with lifting so at the min am doing full body dumbell and kettlebell work outs at home until im more confident with what im doing so when at the gym I stick to the treadmil and rowing. also go on the bike if I have not cycled there but somedays I cycle or walk 3miles to get there so last ting I wanna do is sit on the bike there when iv got another 3miles to cycle home lol
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Melolson14 wrote: »
    I start on the tread mill.
    But how long show I do it.
    I can not do any running anymore

How long you should do the treadmill really depends on your fitness level. Just challenge yourself without overdoing it. I'm excited for you. You have a whole world of gym to explore!
  • Melolson14
    Options
    What do you enjoy and what are your goals? I really enjoyed group classes when I had a gym membership, but now I'm into free weights, running, and circuits.

• Melolson14
    Options
    I enjoy treadmill, free weights, swimming,
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,618 Member
    Options
    If u like those 3 thing, do those. Find a progressive lifting routine, like stronglifts or starting strength(or another that matches your goals) for free weights.
  • MizCJ84
    MizCJ84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I'm also going back to the gym for the first time in a while, and not really sure where to start. I used to be very active, but have been very sedentary the last 2 years. I don't want to burn out too quickly. I'm thinking I'll start with walking on the treadmill for maybe 30 minutes just to get back into some kind of exercise.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    When I first went to the gym I did the elliptical and treadmill. The way it was set up was that while on the cardio equipment I could see the lifting equipment. So for a while I just did cardio and watched the lifters and took mental notes. That helped me when I finally became brave enough to go lift for the first time. I found the following tip SUPER helpful... the first few times I went to lift, I went when I knew the gym was relatively empty. Like Saturday afternoon at 2 or something. Or during a big sports playoff game or something. It made me more comfortable knowing there weren't going to be as many people there and that I wouldn't feel rushed. I also book marked a good lifting site that showed how to do the exercises properly. Then, since gym was empty, I could watch the video and use the machine making sure of proper form. That is not something I would recommend if you are at the gym at 6 pm. Good luck.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Choose a good strength training program, there are plenty of good ones here.

Then go to exrx.net, choose which muscle you're working and it gives a list of exercises, along with instructions and videos showing how to do them.