Starting over sucks!

Options
So I did myfitness pal a year ago and lost a bunch of weight. I did a great job but now I fell off and went back into my old habits and gained all the weight back. It's so frustrating having to start all over again. It's always so hard at first. It's hard because food is soooooo good! Why does bad food have to taste so good? I really want to hit my goal and not because it's a new year new me type of thing. It's because I want to have confidence in myself. I'm 33 years old single, not married no kids. I need to have some confidence so I can be happy with myself so I can attract the right kind of guys. Who has had to start over several times? Why did you go back into your old habits?

Replies

• angelbell55
    angelbell55 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I’m in the same boat. I’m new on here and hope that charting what I eat will help me not bounce all over the place with food.
  • joshlewis625
    joshlewis625 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been there. And in the same boat. Routine... Routine will get me every time falling back into the old ways. Staying on track, exercising and eating right is as difficult to a intense gym workout. I myself work hard everyday trying to stay in my lane so to speak. You can do it!
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Hey! I've seen lots of posts about this same thing. People set weight loss goals, eat well, exercise and then when they get to goal just go back to the old way of doing things. Like they reached the top of the mountain, so don't ever have to climb it again. Sadly, it doesn't work that way.

For long term success, you have to change that cycle. There's really no BAD food, just too much of it and eating it too often. You can find a balance between eating yummy foods and fitting it within the calories you need to eat to lose or maintain. It's totally possible, just have to get your mind right.

You can do it!
  • Krystenp88
    Krystenp88 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just started back up on tracking calories. I get a lot of my healthier food inspiration from Pinterest. I also wwnt through my meals that I have saved on here that kind of lets me know what I did last time and what I enjoyed eating and that really helped me with losing weight. I also enjoy lifting so I started that back up and love the way I feel afterwards. But I think a big motivation kicker for me is when I look at myself in the mirror I don't feel comfortable with myself and want to feel healthier and look healthier. You got this girl! The one thing I told myself over and over and continue to say is I lost it once I can lose it again so can you!
  • marmeer25
    marmeer25 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have to start over again and I am so annoyed at myself. I lost close to 45 pounds two years ago only to regain it- I can - and can't - believe it. I can't believe it because I felt so great about myself and had so much confidence when I was lighter. Why did I allow myself to lose that healthy lifestyle? I can believe it because I have always turned to eating food during stressful times. I fell out of the routine of tracking and exercising because life challenges came up. I've always used food as a coping mechanism. I am back on myfitness pal for a week now, and I have told myself that I am here to take care of my body and myself this year, and that I am only going to focus on one day at a time. A day leads to a week, a few weeks to a month, etc! You have this! Please feel free to add me as a friend (and anyone else who is restarting . . . . we can motivate and encourage each other together!
  • MissCharly2
    MissCharly2 Posts: 12 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Me too! Basically I went into rebellion mode because I got upset with the poor attitude of my “professional” fitness coach. I just wanted to eat what I want to eat... like I said – rebellion :-) but think about it: if we were perfect, what would there be for challenges? Falling off the wagon means I get to look at what I want and what I don’t want - incentive to start again.

Anyway, I’m getting started again too.
    Pros: One of my keys is having my kitchen scale, and I love MFP barcodes for helping me stay on track. I learn to enjoy little things like cutting back my sugar to Stevia so I can enjoy munching on a huge bowl of Romain hearts with some yummy dressing. I keep remembering that when I eat more vegetables with their low calories, I can enjoy more food and tasty toppings.
    Cons: I just have to cut back on The Garbage Sitting in the Kitchen at work waiting to be grabbed. On my first day of a fast what was sitting there staring at me? Chocolate cake… The next day Almond Roca. My two favorites. I made it one day, then decided if I’m going to eat junk at least I’m going to stay in my calorie count and learn to make better decisions. Beating myself up doesn’t do any good. Enjoy the cake, don’t pig out on the candy, and Move On.
    You’re doing fine, dear. Otherwise we wouldn’t have you here for company :-)
  • Justin741
    Justin741 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I agree it does suck and I'm in the same boat. We can't change the past but we can do something about the present. Today is the first step the rest of our lives being healthy. I was a serial starter but not anymore.
  • mcclarykb
    mcclarykb Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think I was just in some kind of funk. I have eaten what I wanted without any guilt. I have not worked out in over two months and I have gained 15 pounds! I started working out again this week and logging my food also. I sleep so hard after that first workout , I overslept for work! The moral of the story, take small steps so you can get back on track to a healthy lifestyle. I got your back! :)
  • ColinIsTheName
    ColinIsTheName Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I've done that before. I lost 170 pounds, but gained 120 back. This time I didn't make excuses to quit and focused on changing my lifestyle permanently. I'm 4 pounds from my goal and lowest adult weight by 20 pounds. Add me if you like, as I'd like to help.
  • quikruithoff
    quikruithoff Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It’s so easy to slip back into old habits. I believe that we can create new, long lasting, healthy habits! You got this!!!!!
  • MarvinsFitLife
    MarvinsFitLife Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Title like these make me stick to my goal add me for support
  • fresona1
    fresona1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello,

You're right, it is frustrating to start all over in any journey, including a weight loss one. What is most important is to set small realistic goals/challenges that you can ultimately sustain and eliminate unhealthy habits. Easier said than done, I know. But changing your mindset is important. Take this opportunity to set goals that you can maintain and can help you live a healthier lifestyle even after reaching your goal. Also, focus on your needs and desires. The rest (i.e. "The right guy") will eventually come once you have reached personal satisfaction and confidence. You're health is what's important here!

Best to you!
  • AJR041407
    AJR041407 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree, With everything in society today making things a rush rush it is easy to slip into old habits. A year ago I found it easy to prepare healthy meals and had a good idea on what to make and now I am just spinning my wheels thinking of what sounds and tastes good. It is nice that this app gives ideas for food. I saw a few apps that set your meal plans but some of it does not look appealing.
  • gayleofdallas
    gayleofdallas Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting over again too. I'm so mad at myself for gaining the weight back through my laziness. I agree totally with the comments by ladyhusker39 and this time I'm doing the same thing she is:

(quote) "For example, when I decided to lose weight one of the first commitments I made was to not do anything during the weight loss phase that I wasn't willing to do forever. I cut down on the amount of food I ate, but I didn't completely eliminate any food that I like. On the flip side, I didn't add any food that I don't like just to lose weight. That's not to say I haven't discovered new lower calorie substitutes or that I haven't tried new foods, I'm just not doing it specifically to lose weight. It's food I would enjoy eating anytime. I also decided to take my time losing so I could practice better eating habits. Particularly important to me was learning how to moderate sweets and get better at understanding portion sizes."