Hungry, low energy and emotional

Hi all
I am currently trying to eat less and lose about 60 lbs. I am 5 5 and weigh about 186 lbs. I try to work out 4-5 days a week (elliptical).
I am just a bit frustrated because just today:
1. I am going to sleep feeling hungry though I ate 150 calories over my limit
2. Have low energy most evenings despite eating
3. Get easily emotional. Hormones and diet are linked.

What am I doing wrong? Please help.

Replies

• Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Look at the macros of the foods you are eating, are you high carb or low carb, high fat or low fat, high protein or just hitting your minimums. See what the average sort of looks like when you feel this way.

Then switch it up and try shifting it around, if you feel tired on low carb, Have some higher carb foods but stay in your calorie goals. then see if you feel the same way. Everyone is different, so test out what might work for you and help to at least solve the feeling hungry portion. If you arent actively hungry you wont feel deprived and probably less emotional about the hunger or lack of certain foods.
  • natashab61
    natashab61 Posts: 103 Member
    I feel I eat pretty healthy
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    natashab61 wrote: »
    I feel I eat pretty healthy

You need to address satiety. There are many different healthy foods...but what are the particular healthy foods that keep you full and give you energy? That is why you need to play around with your macros, and pay attention to their impact as you adjust them.
  • wisemagick1
    wisemagick1 Posts: 15 Member
    Are you a vegetarian? Viewing what you tracked it seems that way. If so take some vitamins low energy can be caused by vitamin deficiencies that is common in many people that are vegetarians my wife included. If you are not and even if you are the reason you are hungry is you don't seem to be eating anything with real substance to them. Just a lot of fruits and sometimes some starch. Also this may seem counterproductive but maybe try weaning off the coffee. In some people caffeine can cause the low energy as well.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    How many calories are you eating? Are you eating any exercise calories?
  • natashab61

No
  • natashab61
    Are you a vegetarian? Viewing what you tracked it seems that way. If so take some vitamins low energy can be caused by vitamin deficiencies that is common in many people that are vegetarians my wife included. If you are not and even if you are the reason you are hungry is you don't seem to be eating anything with real substance to them. Just a lot of fruits and sometimes some starch. Also this may seem counterproductive but maybe try weaning off the coffee. In some people caffeine can cause the low energy as well.

No not a vegetarian just don't eat a lot of meat. What do you mean by substance?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

No

No you're not eating back exercise calories? Why not? That's how the system is designed.

What calorie target are you aiming for?
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    I definitely agree you should figure out what foods satiate you as well as eat back some of your exercise calories. I also wanted to ask are you weighing your food? I went through a period of time very similar to you when I was weak and hungry all the time. I was eyeballing portions and once I got a food scale I realized I was under eating without meaning too. My eyeballing was pretty inaccurate so I thought I was eating MORE than I actually was. Food scales are an eye opener in both directions!
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Definitely eat back half of your exercise calories if you're having issues. You should net at least 1200 calories each day for adequate nutrition (1,500 for men).

Random thought, do you happen to live in a cold/dark climate? Seasonal changes, extended hours of darkness, etc. can give people problems. You could potentially be lacking in vitamin D or be suffering from seasonal affective disorder (SAD), as what you mentioned aligns with some SAD symptoms.
  • natashab61
    Yep I live up north but never really experienced SAD. I don't own a food scale. I don't eat them back because I thought you don't need to. I aim for 1290 calories but go over by 100-200 calories.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    When I first started, I was really kind of panic stricken and hangry for a few weeks until I figured out what worked for me, both with the foods that satisfied me (turns out a grilled chicken breast and a huge pile of romaine can work wonders) and getting into the habit of being highly active so I had wiggle room with my eating, although I was still on a 1240 calorie "base."

Your body eventually adapts to the new regime. There is some absolutely fascinating research going on that indicates our microbiome may be able to control our hormones, and hence our emotions. Certain species of gut flora and fauna thrive on sugar, others thrive on veg fiber and things like beans (the musical fruit), so if you've been overfeeding all your sugar critters, the theory is, they are controlling you like a giant meat puppet and playing your emotions like a violin. (This is obviously very reductionistic and the research in this complex and subtle topic is in its infancy, but there is a certain amount of satisfaction in killing off bad microbiome when you're feeling pissy anyways and it might be their fault).

Interestingly, now that I have switched to a diet with 7-10+ servings of fruit/veg over the past year, I find myself getting a little pissy and out of sorts if I don't have the amount of veg I like.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    In contrary to popular belief, you don't HAVE to pick the 'lose 2 lbs a week' setting. 1 lb a week is just fine.

I'm 5'5" and I lost 80 lbs eating 1700 calories (not eating exercise calories back). If you're hungry and not feeling well, eat more. And even if you don't have to stop eating bread, snacks, and junk food, limit those to 200-300 calories a day (less if you're still hungry).

Hard to give advice without seeing your diary though, although I definitely would not eat your exercise calories back if you're not weighing your food, as you're probably eating more than you think.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Yep I live up north but never really experienced SAD. I don't own a food scale. I don't eat them back because I thought you don't need to. I aim for 1290 calories but go over by 100-200 calories.

If you're not eating back your exercise calories, you could be sabotaging yourself. What is your average burn on workout days? Also, how much are you trying to lose and what is your weekly loss target in MFP?
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    I always ate the exercise calories I earned, and lost weight at a rate of 1 to 1.5 pounds per week. Those calories are critical to maintaining energy levels for me. I also increased how much water I was drinking, because I found that being dehydrated contributed to feeling fatigued. I lived in the dark, short days of Alaska for 18 years. I still find that starting my morning with a cup of coffee and reading a newspaper next to a SAD light helps combat that tired feeling. Are you getting enough sleep at night? I certainly drag on the day after I have a rough night of sleep. Finally, there's no reason not to have a little something after dinner and before bedtime. I often have a half a container of yogurt or an ounce of cheese with an apple or a couple tasty crackers. As long as this food fits within your calorie allowance for the day, it doesn't matter when you eat them.