Nursing school has me eating crap!

Options
Anyone have tips on how to manage carbs on a busy, busy work and school schedule?

Replies

• notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    With little information to go on, I would ask if you have any medical reason to avoid carbs. If not, fit them into your day! They aren't the enemy.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you find a way to get meal prep containers and do that to keep you on track. just grab and go already measured, weighed and easy to document meals.
  • The_Ta
    The_Ta Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Nursing school can be super stressful! Best thing you can do is meal prep and avoid all the treats that magically appear.

Another tip would be to plan to exercise when you study. Break up that care plan with some walking. Read a chapter then walk a mile. If studying has you stressed, I know you can usually find audio components to some texts.

PS. The NCLEX is the most bizarre test you’ll ever take.
  • andfivesixseveneight
    Options
    You could carry packets of plain almonds and walnuts for fat, whole apples for healthy carbs, jerky and protein powder (to mix in water) for protein.
    I wish I’d been more careful of what I ate while in nursing school- gained about 20lb by graduation. But lost it all within a few months once I started as a nurse because I was running 12-16 hours nonstop with no time to eat. Or drink. Or pee. You’ll love it :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    If you eat crap it's because you choose to eat crap. But carbs aren't crap, they are fuel. If you want to eat less of them then eat something else. Keep foods you want to eat on hand. But even if you eat nothing but 'crap' you won't gain weight unless you eat more calories than you burn.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Bring your own quick foods that'll fit your macros.

I can't speak for low carb, but the following items require no prep time and will also get you protein and/or fiber (instead of the vending machine fare that will be pretty much only carbs and fat with nil protein or fiber): Food bars (the basic Clif bars and the Special-K Fiber & Protein bars (Aldi also has a store brand version) both supply some protein, fiber, and fat in addition to the carbs). Greek yogurt and cottage cheese are both high in protein for the calories. Peanut butter (fat, protein)(these can even be purchased in single packs - both Jif and Skippy sell 250-270 calorie tubs).

If you have a fridge & microwave (and 0 prep time): frozen bagged pre-cooked shrimp can be quickly wrapped in wax paper and nuked until warm (very high in protein). Frozen bagged veggies.

A lot more options if you can find at least a little time to prep food (can be as simple as tossing a pack of chicken in the instant pot with spices and ignoring it for 30 minutes before portioning into baggies; or picking the meat off a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken and bagging).
  • dognose765
    dognose765 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I’m in a nursing program as well. I’m lucky that I don’t have kids as it is hard enough to manage life and school. The good thing is that clinicals will keep you moving. The bad thing is that you eat what you can, when you can. Bring your own snacks that you can grab when you get a minute. Nurses stations, even though it’s technically against most policies, are usually littered with candy and junk. Having some veggie sticks or fruit slices help, but if you’re like me it’s hard not to pick up a piece of candy. I do it without even realizing I’ve done it sometimes.
  • dognose765
    dognose765 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Bring your own quick foods that'll fit your macros.

I can't speak for low carb, but the following items require no prep time and will also get you protein and/or fiber (instead of the vending machine fare that will be pretty much only carbs and fat with nil protein or fiber): Food bars (the basic Clif bars and the Special-K Fiber & Protein bars (Aldi also has a store brand version) both supply some protein, fiber, and fat in addition to the carbs). Greek yogurt and cottage cheese are both high in protein for the calories. Peanut butter (fat, protein)(these can even be purchased in single packs - both Jif and Skippy sell 250-270 calorie tubs).

If you have a fridge & microwave (and 0 prep time): frozen bagged pre-cooked shrimp can be quickly wrapped in wax paper and nuked until warm (very high in protein). Frozen bagged veggies.

A lot more options if you can find at least a little time to prep food (can be as simple as tossing a pack of chicken in the instant pot with spices and ignoring it for 30 minutes before portioning into baggies; or picking the meat off a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken and bagging).

Ewwww! You want her drawn and quartered?! Never reheat seafood in a public area or break room. That smell doesn’t go away for hours.