gym help

Options
Hello, I recently joined a gym and started dieting, I'm a large guy and lately feel like my health is deteriorating fast and I need to make some big changes in my life now. I'm learning a lot as I go but still have a lot of questions, the biggest question is what is a good workout routine at the gym and what equipment should I be using there along with how much should I be using them? Any help is appreciated thanks.

Age 32
Hight 6'2"
Weight 350

Replies

• wisemagick1
    wisemagick1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Also I don't know how much you have to lose but this is a very supportive group if you are like me and have at least 100+ pounds to lose. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3322-100-pounds-with-no-surgery
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Lifting programs are great to help you retain muscle. I'd also add something for even better cardio health/Fitness - pick something you enjoy that gets you moving more, and your heart rate up!
  • howsyourdad
    howsyourdad Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts programme, start with an empty bar and work your way up.
  • aemsley05
    aemsley05 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    It's a good idea to try out different things and see what you enjoy. The best programme is one that you'll stick with, and if you hate it you're much less likely to do it! If your gym offers fitness classes, you could try out a couple and see if you like them. You could also try out local sports clubs and activities - these may feel less like "exercise" and can also be a great way to meet new people and develop new interests.

I'd also recommend taking things slow to start with if you're new to exercise. No point going too hard/too long/too heavy at the start and risking an injury! For cardio, don't be afraid to start out just walking (you could do this on the treadmill at your gym, or outside if the weather's nice and you have nice scenery where you live). You can work up to jogging/running in time, no need to rush. You don't need to go to the gym every day - work out what's sustainable for you and what fits into your lifestyle and schedule. The best advice (on diet and exercise) that I've ever been given is "find out what works for you" - because it's much easier to stick to something that doesn't conflict with your likes, goals and everyday life. Good luck!
  • OHammykins
    OHammykins Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    When I first started at the gym I had no idea what to do or where to start. I found a really nice app called Daily Workouts which has some nice pre made workouts to start off with. You can chose between legs, arms, abs etc. and the length of time you (5min, 8min, 10min) so you can work your way up gradually.

I started off doing 5min of arms, legs and abs each time I went to the gym and now worked up to doing 3 5min rounds of each (I'm still a work I progress!). It's free to download and might give you a good jumping off point :-)

Best of luck!
  • raspuller
    raspuller Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Often times gyms will offer personal training either free or cheap. Depending on where you live, there are probably personal trainers in the area that you could work with just a few times to get started. They can provide you with a few routines and ensure you’re doing the excercise safely and in a way to maximize results.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I would start with the (usually free) session you get when you start at most gyms. Ease into exercise- don't go nuts & hurt yourself, then try out some of the suggestions here. Good Luck!
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    When I started, I simply told myself to go to the gym and walk 30 minutes at whatever speed I felt comfortable at.

Setting myself up for doing 'something' that wasn't intimidating and overwhelming kept me motivated to get to the gym. That was 99% of the battle for me.

30 minutes usually turns into 60 minutes for me if it's a simple gym day, walking led to interval training, which led to jogging, which led to weightlifting, which led to kickboxing.

Still, every day I tell myself 'at least 30 minutes'. Even if you are in the worst mood possible and don't feel like doing anything, I guarantee once you start moving and making it a habit, you'll enjoy it and feel better.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Treadmill intervals are a great way to get started with cardio. I started with walk slow 1min and power walk 1min for 10 minutes total. Now I jog for 30 minutes with a few 1 min walk intervals thrown in.

I also agree with the posters who said to take advantage of a gym training session and maybe download a program like stronglifts to guide you starting weights.

Ease into it. You don’t want to jump in too hard or fast and get injured
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Mike4739 wrote: »
    the biggest question is what is a good workout routine at the gym and what equipment should I be using there along with how much should I be using them?

Like with buying food at the supermarket, there are countless options, and your goals and preferences determine what to do. But for general fitness, the typical plan includes cardio & strength training, and possibly flexibility too. If your job is mostly sitting, I would do some cardio daily or almost daily to compensate. The type of cardio isn't that important, and it doesn't need to be at a gym - you can climb stairs at work. Whatever you do, start small and increase gradually each workout.
    For strength training, a good health-oriented program is New Rules of Lifting for Life. Or hire a good trainer - but realize that most trainers are underqualified (regardless of their physique).
    Oh and if you have health issues, get your Dr's approval before exercising. :+1:
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    When I joined a gym, I asked at the front desk to have someone give me a tour of the exercise machines. The machines were laid out in the order you’re supposed to use them. I started using light weight plates. When I had questions later on, the staff was always willing to help.