Gaining almost a lb a week- can't stop, not sure why?

Options
Hi,
So I just started college this year. In highschool in sophomore year I was 150 lbs, had enough and went down to 120 over a 2-3 year period and generally stayed that way through high school. Now that college has started I've been gaining about a .5 lb to 1 lb a week in little bursts, which only seems like it's accelerated now that I'm trying to stop it. I admittedly don't exercise that much- though usually at least 2-4 times a week. I've been aiming for 1200 cals a day, but I seem to always find myself at 1500 to 1700 or 1800 on a bad day. Otherwise I feel hungry and neurotic- all I seem to think about even if my stomach isn't growling is my next meal- it's an obsession. It only seems to stop if I'm at 1400 or more calories- without exercise. I hit a weight high that I haven't been at in three years now- 129 ( I'm 5'4 female) I feel really out of control and I'm terrified this will keep going. I don't know what to do or how to reverse this. Please help

Replies

• KristaKissinger
    KristaKissinger Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Have you been to the doctor to get blood testing ? it could be a thyroid issue that's causing you to gain weight. At least that is something to rule...
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,496 Member
    Options
    How do you know you're eating 1500-1700kcal per day? I mean, to be absolutely certain?

To gain 1lbs per week you'd only need to eat 500kcal per day extra. That could be a portion of fries, a bit more cooking oil and a candy bar, a serving in a restaurant that is bigger than ' a serving'.
  • shannonprovenzano2812
    Options
    I put your stats into a TDEE calculator, which calculates the amount of calories you would need to maintain weight based on your activity level, and the results are below. I assumed you were 19 years old since you state you're in your first year of college. If you're SURE you're eating a max of 1800 calories a day I'd see a doctor, asap to get your thyroid or metabolism checked, because you shouldn't be gaining weight on that number. Here's what came up, and the link is underneath it.

Sedentary 1,614 calories per day
    Light Exercise 1,850 calories per day
    Moderate Exercise 2,085 calories per day
    Heavy Exercise 2,320 calories per day
    Athlete 2,556 calories per day

https://tdeecalculator.net/
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    You are at a healthy weight for your height but if you are slowly gaining then you are taking in more calories than you think you are - possibly you are having an extra snack or two without counting them? its easy to forget to log something or forget a few hours later what we had to eat.
  • jflongo
    jflongo Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Also, keep in mind MANY calorie labels LIE. If you follow labels only, you could be off 200 - 300 calories every day.

For example, I took 2 slices of bread, it said 200 calories for both, but then i check the grams, and the 2 slices were over that.

I am starting to weigh my food more now, instead of only trusting serving size pieces.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    It's certainly possible that a new environment and different eating choices/opportunities is impacting your diet and satiety.

You may need to play with macro balance Carbs/fat/protein and fiber to figure out what fills you up and satisfies your calorie and micro needs.

If you're now out on your own, you may have different resources for food prep/storage than you had been accustomed to as well as having more responsibilities for choosing meal plans.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I am with the others about getting a checkup. Sometimes there there are hidden issuws that can causeyou to feel hungry all the time. Also, stress itself can cause that. I personally feel like I am starving when my my stomach is actually mildly upset, even though I know I literally just ate, and am not really hungry. So my tricks are more aimed at that.
    I always keep fiber one bars and saltines on hand. Saltines settle the stomach, and aren't too high calorie by themselves. Fiber one bars will often do the trick with just a third or half a bar. I think of it as reassuring my tummy that we are eating, lol. Ginger candies and chamomile tea also help with that.
    For snacking, Sargento's balanced breaks and similar prepackaged snacks are handy, because aone of thise can go a surprisingly lobg way in making you feel not hungry, but they are easy to grab and go.
  • MagicKingdom1
    MagicKingdom1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, Ask your doctor to check your average blood sugar levels when you have your blood work done. I am 57, postmenopausal and I was finding it impossible to lose weight. Like you, I was adding .5 to 1 lb. a week. When we realized my blood sugars were spiking and plunging and I am finally beginning to get a control on my carbs, I am starting to lose. Your insulin should "trickle" throughout the day, never spike. Good luck. I hope you figure out what works for you.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Ever hear of the "Freshmen 15"? It is typical to gain weight at college if you are eating in the dining hall. Nowadays it could be even worse because there are more junk/fast food options served. (In my college days we did not have "stations" and fast food restaurants in the college dining hall).
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    How long since you've been at 120? 3 months or 3 years?
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    lichn wrote: »
    Hi,
    So I just started college this year. In highschool in sophomore year I was 150 lbs, had enough and went down to 120 over a 2-3 year period and generally stayed that way through high school. Now that college has started I've been gaining about a .5 lb to 1 lb a week in little bursts, which only seems like it's accelerated now that I'm trying to stop it. I admittedly don't exercise that much- though usually at least 2-4 times a week. I've been aiming for 1200 cals a day, but I seem to always find myself at 1500 to 1700 or 1800 on a bad day. Otherwise I feel hungry and neurotic- all I seem to think about even if my stomach isn't growling is my next meal- it's an obsession. It only seems to stop if I'm at 1400 or more calories- without exercise. I hit a weight high that I haven't been at in three years now- 129 ( I'm 5'4 female) I feel really out of control and I'm terrified this will keep going. I don't know what to do or how to reverse this. Please help

If you are trying to restrict to 1200 cals and see you desire for your next meal as an "obsession" rather than a normal indication that you may just be hungry I honestly have alarm bells going off here. If you feel hungry and neurotic on a calorie restricted diet you may not be getting what you need, and the answer is NOT to repress those feelings and beat yourself into submission, it's to work on answering your body's needs in a healthy way. I get that ravenous feeling when I'm avoiding eating and then I wait so long I am desperate for an enormous greasy calorie bomb dinner. Have more vegetables and look at whether you get enough protein and good fats in your diet, work on keeping your blood sugar steady throughout the day, be kind to your body and respect its signals. You can't find a healthy balance if you're fighting against your body instead of working with it to nurture is genuine needs.

THIS.

OP, just reading your post made me feel anxious; you must be so stressed out about this, and that's not going to help anything.

Before trying to lose weight, spend a little time and find your maintenance range. That's a tricky thing, because everyone's weight fluctuates constantly. The only way to know for sure whether you're losing, gaining or maintaining is to eat at a consistent calorie level for 4-6 weeks and track your weight over time. If you're within about a 3-pound range, give or take, that's your maintenance level.

After you find your maintenance intake, you can make small changes to put yourself in a small deficit. ONLY DO THAT if it doesn't cause you stress, though. Words like "neurotic, obsession, out of control, terrified" are GIANT red flags that you're not in a good mental place; trying to diet makes this worse, never better.