Not losing logical amt of weight?!!!

Options
Hello, so for the past month I have been trying to lose weight through the standard means (diet+exercise).

I am a 23 yr old female, 5'10", and started in Dec weighing ~163.5 lb, which could vary +/- 1.5 lb daily.

Over the course of a month I have been attending cycling classes 4-5x a week, which range from 45-75 min, so roughly 200-250 min vigorous cardio a week. I have also been tracking my calories, trying to reduce carbs. On a daily basis I eat from 900-1600 calories. These efforts have resulted in my current weight, 161 lb, pretty much <3lb loss over the course of a month!!!

As an example of my typical habits, yesterday I went to spinning at 6am, and ate the following:

9am:
baby bell mini cheese thing
15 peanuts (salted)
coffee with ~2 tblspn light cream

12pm:
1 apple
1 cup roasted cauliflower

2pm:
8oz coconut chicen curry soup (basically watered down thai curry with some brown rice mixed in, from a hospital cafeteria so not wildly unhealthy)

6pm:
1 cup beed bone broth
~10 small shrimp (sautéed)
~1/4 cup of asian rice noodles
~1/4 cup cilantro
~1/8 teaspoon of sesame oil

dessert stuff, 8pm:
1/4 cup fresh pineapple
2 small pieces of coconut
1 fake whole foods oreo
couple dark chocolate sea salt covered almonds (~5)

I dont usually like to eat so frequently thoughout the day, I like to try to skip breakfast to maintain a longer period of fasting if possible, and usually dont eat in between lunch and dinner (12-5/6pm), so yesterday was an anomaly.

Anyways any advice would be helpful on what I could do to achieve more aggressive weight loss in the coming month. Thanks!!

Replies

• jflongo
    jflongo Posts: 289 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Let me say a couple of things, and yes I agree weight items as well.

Don't always follow what it says you burned for calories. Just because you burn 400 calories, doesn't mean you can eat 400 more calories, it doesn't work that way. Also, 900 calories is a very small amount as well if that is true, and 900 - 1600 is a huge swing.

Figure out your maintenance calories and try and hit that, and pay attention to your macro %'s.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Did you put all those meals into your MFP diary to see what the total calories were?
    You don't have a lot to lose so aim for 0.5-1lb a week. Eat back half the exercise calories to account for over estimation of the calorie burn.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    3lb in a month is a good rate of loss with your stats. you need to re-adjust your expectations.

you might want to consider adding in some strength training as your issue may be one of body composition, not just scale weight.

This
  • 4cplusplus
    4cplusplus Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am a small frame (I can wrap fingers well around my wrist) so I would like to lose around 20 lb, if possible.

As for body composition, I am definitely skinny fat and have a much higher fat/muscle ratio than the avg woman my age, so body composition is an issue but I assume that if I reduce weight it will be body fat and not muscle as I have pretty much none to begin with.

And for cheat/skip days etc, I don't really have those, I don't have binge problems or ever really eat/crave unhealthy things, at most Im underestimating volume and eating at the higher end of my range, which is still certainly <2000 cal. That is still low for someone my height and activity level!
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Also, consider that your new exercise program may be causing some water weight as your muscles get used to it. Either way, give it time.

I don't weigh food, and have lost 30 pounds at a steady pace (over the course of 7-8 months). If I stopped losing at a regular pace then I would take a closer look at whether my portion control is off and consider weighing.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    4cplusplus wrote: »
    I am a small frame (I can wrap fingers well around my wrist) so I would like to lose around 20 lb, if possible.

As for body composition, I am definitely skinny fat and have a much higher fat/muscle ratio than the avg woman my age, so body composition is an issue but I assume that if I reduce weight it will be body fat and not muscle as I have pretty much none to begin with.

And for cheat/skip days etc, I don't really have those, I don't have binge problems or ever really eat/crave unhealthy things, at most Im underestimating volume and eating at the higher end of my range, which is still certainly <2000 cal. That is still low for someone my height and activity level!

Weight lifting will help with the skinny fat issue. It'll help with the body recomp and will put you on the path towards looking the way you want to.

I'm not actually entirely sure if the whole "small frame/wrist size" thing is legit or not.

If you're not weighing your food, you're most likely OVER estimating. You'd be surprised about how much you can stuff into a "cup". I've had instances of 1.5 cup sized servings of oatmeal fitting into a measuring "cup". Don't even get me started on fruit, cheese, and peanut butter!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    3 lbs in a month is good, given that you don't have much to lose. .5 lbs/week is a steady loss, be proud. Don't use measuring cups-- use a food scale, especially with "loose" things like rice.
  • kschildroth
    kschildroth Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I'm a 23 year old female 5'10" and 167 lbs. I workout 5 days a week and eat anywhere between 1650 to 1850 calories a day. I'm averaging a weight loss of about 1.5 lbs every two weeks. You aren't eating enough. Log accurately and don't be afraid to eat.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Hello, so for the past month I have been trying to lose weight through the standard means (diet+exercise).

I am a 23 yr old female, 5'10", and started in Dec weighing ~163.5 lb, which could vary +/- 1.5 lb daily.

You're 5'10", and you want to weigh 141 lbs? First, that's probably an unhealthy weight for your height. Second, the last 5-10 lbs of that is going to take a looooooonnnnnnng time to come off. What others have told you here is a good idea -- look seriously into recomp.

• paris458
    paris458 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9" and I was happiest at 130lbs so I dont think 141lbs is unhealthy at all
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I don't think it's unhealthy, either. But it is going to take awhile to get there, as OP is already at a top-end acceptable healthy weight for her height.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    ZoneFive wrote: »

You're 5'10", and you want to weigh 141 lbs? First, that's probably an unhealthy weight for your height. Second, the last 5-10 lbs of that is going to take a looooooonnnnnnng time to come off. What others have told you here is a good idea -- look seriously into recomp.

A BMI of 20.2 is not unhealthy.