New to the gym/weights. Looking for help.

Options
AprilNewYear18
AprilNewYear18 Posts: 45 Member
edited January 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey guys, I could really use some help. I've never had a gym membership before, always worked out at home. I'm wanting to commit to going to a gym and having a routine of sorts, but to be honest with you I'm not sure where to start. My main fitness goals involving exercise are to tone up my legs/butt, build strength in my core, build muscle in my arms. If anyone has any advice on how to begin, I can provide more details if needed- just wasn't sure what to add, let me know!
Thanks in advance everyone!

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Look at
    Strong lifts 5x5
    Or
    Strong curves

Build muscle:
    Eat in a surplus
    Lift progressively

Lose fat/tone:
    Eat in a deficit
    Lift progressively
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Another option is to get a customized plan from a good personal trainer.

Keep in mind that looking "toned" is mostly from correct calorie intake. :+1:
  • BklynFitGuy
    BklynFitGuy Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    As mentioned above, Stronglifts 5x5 is a great program. Compound exercises that work multiple muscle groups and every session includes squats.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of Stronglifts 5x5 but have modified it by adding additional lifts to each of the workouts (for A I add ab presses, inclined bench, workout B I add butterfly press, ab press and curls). The basic 5x5 plan is a really good place to begin.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Get on a solid lifting routine. There are tons of them out there, so you'll have to do a little homework, but focus on free weights (barbell/dumbbells) and make sure the program has some sort of progression programmed in (i.e. increasing weight/resistance as you go). Full body programs are generally going to be more productive for beginners, so I'd start there if that works with your schedule.

After that, it's just about patience and consistency.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    If you can afford a personal trainer, even for just a few sessions, do it. They can get you set up on a good routine and show you how to do things correctly which is really important. Also, ask people at the gym what they do if you see someone that is in good shape. Most people are very willing to help because most people love to talk about themselves and share their advice, lol. Also do research on line. There are plenty of sites that have detailed instructions on how to do something.
    Good luck! It's fun once you start gaining knowledge on working out. You feel empowered.
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    flippy1234 wrote: »
    If you can afford a personal trainer, even for just a few sessions, do it. They can get you set up on a good routine and show you how to do things correctly which is really important. Also, ask people at the gym what they do if you see someone that is in good shape. Most people are very willing to help because most people love to talk about themselves and share their advice, lol. Also do research on line. There are plenty of sites that have detailed instructions on how to do something.
    Good luck! It's fun once you start gaining knowledge on working out. You feel empowered.

This is good advice, but I'd do some research on full-body lifting programs before choosing a personal trainer and then be clear with the trainer what you're looking for. At my gym, for example, I always see the personal trainers in the weight room doing big full body exercises for their own workouts (squat, deadlift, bench, pull ups, etc.), but inevitably when they work with clients (especially newby female clients) I see them doing weird very low weight isolation movements (shoulder flys, curls with tiny dumbells, etc.). I try to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that there is something they know that I don't but this seems to go on for months with some of these clients with very little progress, so it looks kinda fishy to me.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'd recommend stronglifts or New Rules of Lifting for Women. Both are excellent weight programs.

Allan Misner
    NASM Certified Personal Trainer
    Host of the 40+ Fitness Podcast
  • briancb
    briancb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’ve found when training a beginner it is difficult to get the benefits from lifting heavy if form and muscle endurance is not up to par. As you get more advanced and experienced with weight training then the large movements like barbell squats, deadlifts, overhead press and bench press can be incorporated with the increased weight and volume.

But starting with a good mobility and active warm up then begin working on building the squat and stationary lunge patterns with progressive overload (adding more weight or reps) to help build overall strength and muscle endurance is a great place to start. These are great by not only using legs for the movement pattern but help develop upper body strength by holding the weights.

Then using a rowing and push patterns to help develop upper body. Incorporating single arm movements to help keep things balanced as well as incorporating core.

Then incorporating cable core work like stationary holds and rotational patterns to build the core in a different way to develop the core besides direct Ab work.

Lastly a finisher of some sort to help aide in cardiovascular endurance. A 2-4 exercise circuit of movements you can preform at a high/safe level to get the heart rate up to where you are out of breath (can’t hold a conversation). Even sprints/intervals work too. Stationary bike and treadmill gets boring.

Training frequency can be as low at 3x/week for 60-90mins with the right nutrition and program.

brian@brianberumentraining.com
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Stronglifts 5x5 here. They have a free IOS and Android app.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Your gym membership probably entitles you to one or two tours of the equipment and someone to show you proper form. Ask the front desk to set that up for you.
  • AprilNewYear18
    AprilNewYear18 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone so much for the replies! I'll look into all of this!!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    mark rippetoe wrote a very thorough book called starting strength for people in exactly your 'starting out' stage. even if you go with a different programme and lift lineup, you might still want to look into it for form guidance and all the technical explanations you could want, if lifting appeals to you.

• sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    @briancb - what you described seems similar to the approach used in the book Strong by Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove. Are you familiar with it? It's the program I have recently started and I really like it. It doesn't start out with the large barbell movements but it gets there.