What are some good fat blasting excercises for people with back injuries?

Options
2»

Replies

• str82nichelle
    str82nichelle Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I did pick up some resistance bands yesterday and my physical therapist emailed me some great things to try with them. I did ask them about some water stuff. They warned me that it can hit you like a brick when you get out of the pool, but I think It's something to consider trying.

It does, you feel EVERY bit of your weight when you first get out (doesn't last long), but if you go to a pool that offers Arthritis classes (what I take) they will be equipped with wide exits and rails for you to hold on to until the weighted feeling passes.
    Also, on the recumbent bikes-- I found that those where harder on my back than the upright, so yeah like you said, try the upright and see how it does. Good luck to you!
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Low impact isn't any less awesome or any less aerobically strenuous it's just different just like rock climbing, hockey, and boxing are very different from each other (though I don't know that I'd class rock climbing as high impact at all) -
    note I say this as someone who rock climbed competitively as a youth and swam year round for 5 years as a child (I personally like climbing more than swimming but I have no idea when I'll physically be able to do it again). Does your back stuff affect bending in such a way that you can't ride a bike comfortably? Swimming is also very low impact and as someone suggested, a really good workout. That said I know a lot of people who get very bored swimming laps (though perhaps an equal number who swim five plus days a week).

I just got in the pool yesterday for the first time since October I want to say. Needless to say my glutes were seriously feeling it this morning (which honestly is great!). I have a history of chronic back pain, due in part to not getting PT when I had back surgery as a teenager, and swimming is basically the only thing that lessens the pain. I'm not going to even try to claim that that will be the case for you, or even most people, but the the extension in my back plus the fact that it strengthens my core is my PT and I's working assumption on why it helps. It's also great for cardio which is one of the main reasons I do it.
  • rputrino
    rputrino Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been able to lose weigh, but not my stomach. I belong to a gym so I have access to a lot of equipment. Any suggestions that have worked for other people.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    @rputrino start lifting.
    A recomp or small deficit may work.
    Here is a good thread to read.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

You will get better feedback if you start your own thread instead of piggybacking on someone else's. Make sure you include your stats and gym experience.

Cheers, h.
  • KaelaLee88
    KaelaLee88 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I became Disabled just under 2 years ago following the eventual decline in my Degenerative Disc Disease (L4/L5) which also resulted in Permanent Nerve Damage (Peripheral Neuropathy) to my left-side trunk, leg and foot, so I understand very well what you are dealing with <3

I now have a very low level of Mobility so the best exercise I get is Light Cleaning at home, Some light Chair Yoga (Free Videos on this on Youtube! Do what YOU can do) and Some Hydrotherapy at our local pool, using exercises prescribed by the Hydro Team at the Hospital. Light walking in the pool, knee bends, swinging the legs slowly/gently and raises where possible are all good whilst being supported by the wonderful water. Our local pool has a sloped entrance and they even provide Disabled Facilities and a Water-Wheelchair.

As you say, your Physio mentioned that in terms of pain, leaving the pool can 'hit you like a brick' and I can agree with that. It can be painful, but if the staff know what your condition is (and if you can go with someone else you know and trust who can help you - being in the pool can be very tiring) they want to move at YOUR pace. Gently rising from the water is possible (I recommend steps or gradual entrance pools - no ladders!) and having a chair or poolside wheelchair to rest on just beyond the edge of the pool could be very beneficial. Also timing your medication or preparing medication pre-pool activities (depending on what you are taking, of course! Talk that through with your Doctor!) can be beneficial in anticipating additional pain. As the Physio's tell us, some pain is inevitable but learn YOUR limit and don't push it.

Praying for you and wishing you all the best with your workout re-education <3 x
  • Happysoul0317
    Happysoul0317 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi KaelaLee88. That is part of my problem. I want to do so much that I tend to overdo it, and then I'm down for 3 or 4 days, which doesn't help at all. I'm going to my local pool now. I'm going to take my ibuprofen as soon as I get there. I'm thinking I'll do 30 minutes in the pool to start. We shall see!!! Thank you for taking the time to write. I know that you understand how frustrating this can be. I'm just going to keep my head up and try a new approach. I don't want to aggravate the nerves, but this body has got to move! Good luck to you as well. I also have DDD, which I did not know until my injury. Now that I'm aware, I want to be sure that I re-strengthen my core to support my spine. This has been disabling to say the least - but a good wake up call in some ways. I know that I really beat myself up in the past, so now It's time for a new approach, a new form of fitness, and a new appreciation for my body in general. I need to take better care of it.
  • Acem24
    Acem24 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    1. If it hurts or causes swelling don't do it.
    2. Find out if it is nerve or muscle pain.
    3. Don't over do things and push yourself back. Have discipline
    4. There are a lot of stretches you can do that feel like mini workouts.
    5. Swimming is great
    6. Know that there is hope if you research, listen, and learn about your body and what stress you can put it threw.
    7. Every "body" is different.
    8. I have a recovery period of 8 weeks. And I feel like a piece of *kitten* because I can't do anything. It hurts my heart. But I know that I'll get back to being fit when I'm all healed. I want you to succeed. Friend I hope you succeed.
  • kirgrace
    kirgrace Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a pool? If so, swimming!
  • KaelaLee88
    KaelaLee88 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Ah you go girl! <3 I can relate about the late diagnoses! I think it's very empowering to find out what exactly the problem is so that you can finally get tailored advice. I too used to be SO HARD on myself and for many, many years my pain was put down to being Overweight (which got worse and worse in the pushing/overdoing-it/relapse cycle).

You sound so energised! I'm hoping that everything goes well at the pool and that you really enjoy yourself :smiley:

I've sent you a friend request too, hoping we can help each-other on our Wellbeing Journey x