How soon should you eat

Options
once you have woken up in the morning....is there some sort of formula saying how soon you should eat breakfast after waking up.....sounds silly but I wonder.

GO GREEN!

Replies

• sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    once you have woken up in the morning....is there some sort of formula saying how soon you should eat breakfast after waking up.....sounds silly but I wonder.

GO GREEN!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat within 30-40 min of waking up ...unless I feel super energetic then I grab a banana and do my excercises first.:drinker:
  • Rubybees
    Rubybees Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I struggle to eat straight away when I get up! I normaly eat within the first 2 hours (which I know is wrong, but thats better than before:bigsmile: )
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    i really do not know what is 'correct' but i just get up, get ready for work, and eat a yogurt when i get here. about an hour after i get up i suppose.
  • kbirky73
    kbirky73 Posts: 110
    Options
    I generally eat about 4 hours after I get up ... but drink my coffee within two hours.
    I was SO not aware of any formula.
    I'm generally not hungry in the morning, and reserve most of my calories for mid-late day. I even eat within 2 hours of going to bed. (GASP)
    I'll be very interested to see if there is a "suppose to" time.

15163.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    You should be eating 30mins to an hour after waking up. But if you workout right away and like to do it on an empty stomach then you should be eating no later then 1 hr after you are done your workout.

I also agree a banana is a great way to get energy I usually have one every morning before my workout!
  • angelajiniel
    Options
    I wake up very hungry usually and eat about 30-40 minutes after getting up. I've always been a breakfast person though, so it's easy for me. On days when I wait for an hour or two I usually end up with a headache and just a little bit cranky! When I used to workout in the morning, I would grab some applesauce or a banana first and then eat after I showered.
  • jsmccloy
    jsmccloy Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    The argument for eating soon after you wake up is that it gives your metabolism a kickstart that lasts you throughout the day. If you think it about it, this makes sense. When you wake up you've just been lying around for (hopefully) eight hours, so you're not going to be burning very much energy doing that. Getting up and getting moving is good, but add some fuel to get your insides working as well.
    Incidentally, there's been a number of studies that show that people who have a good-size breakfast as part of healthy diet tend to lose more weight than those that do not have breakfast. The latest I saw focused on men, but the men who had breakfast lost twice as much weight on average.
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    The argument for eating soon after you wake up is that it gives your metabolism a kickstart that lasts you throughout the day. If you think it about it, this makes sense. When you wake up you've just been lying around for (hopefully) eight hours, so you're not going to be burning very much energy doing that. Getting up and getting moving is good, but add some fuel to get your insides working as well.
    Incidentally, there's been a number of studies that show that people who have a good-size breakfast as part of healthy diet tend to lose more weight than those that do not have breakfast. The latest I saw focused on men, but the men who had breakfast lost twice as much weight on average.

Thanks, great info. Also, congrats on the 36 days smoke free....can you tell me what you are doing to stay off the tabakee? This is my next goal for getting healthy.....quit smoking .....Blah :sick:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I have read that the first thing is to drink 16 ounces of water upon waking (boom..you have 2 of 8 gone right away)....I squueze in a lemon if I have some then coffee then cardio for 30 minutes then eat a good breakfast
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options

Thanks, great info. Also, congrats on the 36 days smoke free....can you tell me what you are doing to stay off the tabakee? This is my next goal for getting healthy.....quit smoking .....Blah :sick:

meee toooo...my plan after i hit my goal weight - one thingy at a time! :bigsmile:
  • meg0112
    meg0112 Posts: 344
    Options
    I think the best formula is when you feel hungry. Its great to think that we all get enough REM sleep to let our bodies do all the work they need to do while we're sleeping, but in truth most of us don't. If you wake up and aren't hungry, chances are your body is still finishing things up. Coffee and green or herbal tea also kick start your metabolism, so if you don't wake up hungry start with one of those and then eat when you feel hungry.

I also agree about the banana- but I pretty much just do fruit for breakfast so banana, apple, orange, grapes-all great ways to start the day
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    You should have something on your stomach with in 30-45 minutes of waking.

Breakfast = Breaking the fast...................

It gets your metabolism started (fire burning engine) and levels out your blood sugars after not eating for the hours you were asleep................
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I also agree about the banana- but I pretty much just do fruit for breakfast so banana, apple, orange, grapes-all great ways to start the day

Unless you are eating a bit of protein with the fruit, this is NOT a good way to start the day.............

Fruit should never be consumed with out a bit of protein along with it.

Examples: hard boiled egg, tablespoon of peanut butter, ounce of cheese, yogurt, etc...............