HIIT workout

Options

Replies

• akratiri
    akratiri Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I liked this book :: High-Intensity Interval Training for Women: Burn More Fat in Less Time with HIIT Workouts You Can Do Anywhere ... has a variety of workouts in there. Hope it helps.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! I'm looking to introduce HIIT into my workout plan. Could anyone recommened a workout?

Thank you

Sure, Hill sprints... Run up, walk down. Repeat 10-12 times. Warmup/cooldown 3-5 minutes slow jogging/jogging in place.
    g_poleman wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    orionaimee wrote: »
    bknewtype wrote: »
    I do pretty much HIIT workouts everyday and love it.

if you want to follow youtube videos, I do a lot of "team body project" and "pop sugar fitness " HIIT workouts. they are awesome.

but if you are just looking at specific moves: fast squats, knee high runs, mountain climbs/running starts, leg repeaters, Scotties, etc.

None of which is HIIT.

Honestly, what is the purpose of this kind of response? Did you have a better suggestion or did you just want to tell some one they are wrong?
    Misconception. Just like when people think they are doing Tabata.
    Tabata is 100% effort for 4 minutes. Far and few people (even elite athletes) can do the actual Tabata protocol.
    Even really fit people will do it at about 85%-95% effort........................which would then be HIIT. And I think most people who put in about 75% effort think they are doing HIIT, when they actually aren't.

So why does it matter? It's like saying "I can do the treadmill on level 15" but the reality is they can.....................IF they are hanging on the handrails. If they didn't, they may last a minute. People toss around HIIT or Tabata casually nowadays because of the TIMING/TIME USAGE and not the actual protocols themselves. And that's just people fooling themselves into thinking they are fitter than they really are. It's much better to know the actual truth.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

That’s great and all. But you also know from having been here so long that 98% of the people on here are not super fit. And are not interested in the super finite definition and nuance to the difference between HIIT and Tababa. They just want a good workout.

So your explanation really sounds like a justification for some of you to belittle others. This is why people can’t stand coming on here. You sound like someone who is trying to be helpful but really you come off sounding like the guy from above who was super helpful in smacking down someone.

Nice

Because 98% of the people looking for a HIIT workout aren't. They're looking for what the magical youtube/infomercial fairy promised would be a super fatburning exercise experience that's easier than running and burns 3x the calories in 1/3 the time.

So correcting their misconception is adding value and steering them towards the answers they need.

3 months from now they'll be back with

"Doing 45 minutes of HIIT 3 days a week burning 1800 calories per session. Not losing weight as expected?"

And so what if they do?? Does it really harm anything.

If you don’t like those comments then don’t read them.

It’s not your job to set the world straight with snotty comments. Or maybe it is and I didn’t get the memo.

This is a forum where we help other people. That includes answering questions they haven't asked yet. You seem to be perceiving attitudes of superiority where none exist.

A question was asked... help was offered, and then misinformation was provided. Additional help was provided. Not sure why you're so offended by accurate and useful information.

Not offended. But I Think if you had opened up with the tone of your last post rather than that of your first it would have come off much different that is all.

I get it. Just thought the first post made you sound bad. And it seems that is not what you intended.

exactly what about my first post was offensive?
  • orionaimee
    orionaimee Posts: 89 Member
    Options

if you want to follow youtube videos, I do a lot of "team body project" and "pop sugar fitness " HIIT workouts. they are awesome.

but if you are just looking at specific moves: fast squats, knee high runs, mountain climbs/running starts, leg repeaters, Scotties, etc.

None of which is HIIT.

Honestly, what is the purpose of this kind of response? Did you have a better suggestion or did you just want to tell some one they are wrong?
    Tabata is 100% effort for 4 minutes. Far and few people (even elite athletes) can do the actual Tabata protocol.
    Even really fit people will do it at about 85%-95% effort........................which would then be HIIT. And I think most people who put in about 75% effort think they are doing HIIT, when they actually aren't.

So why does it matter? It's like saying "I can do the treadmill on level 15" but the reality is they can.....................IF they are hanging on the handrails. If they didn't, they may last a minute. People toss around HIIT or Tabata casually nowadays because of the TIMING/TIME USAGE and not the actual protocols themselves. And that's just people fooling themselves into thinking they are fitter than they really are. It's much better to know the actual truth.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That’s great and all. But you also know from having been here so long that 98% of the people on here are not super fit. And are not interested in the super finite definition and nuance to the difference between HIIT and Tababa. They just want a good workout.

So your explanation really sounds like a justification for some of you to belittle others. This is why people can’t stand coming on here. You sound like someone who is trying to be helpful but really you come off sounding like the guy from above who was super helpful in smacking down someone.

Nice

Because 98% of the people looking for a HIIT workout aren't. They're looking for what the magical youtube/infomercial fairy promised would be a super fatburning exercise experience that's easier than running and burns 3x the calories in 1/3 the time.

So correcting their misconception is adding value and steering them towards the answers they need.

3 months from now they'll be back with

"Doing 45 minutes of HIIT 3 days a week burning 1800 calories per session. Not losing weight as expected?"

iv done these magical youtube/infomercial workouts and already dropped 17 pounds. works for me even if its not real HIIT or tabata. I reached my goals. im good.

Great job! That is a great loss, you should be very proud.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

None of which is HIIT.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Nice

That's great and all. But why do these people need to use a specific name that has a specific need to describe their workout?

It's like if I go for a bike ride and say I'm running because, you know, who cares about the distinction, I just wanted some cardio.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    There's a scene in Alice in Wonderland where Humpty Dumpty tells Alice that a word means whatever he intends it to mean at that moment.

I do lifting weights for HIIT. I do a set, then I rest, then I do another set, then I rest again... :smile:
  • msksavs
    msksavs Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My fav YouTube channel for free HIIT workouts to follow is Fitnessblender. They're awesome!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Most people do "interval" workouts. HIIT is actually quite hard to do and you have to be in pretty good shape to even do it for 20 minutes straight.

FWIW, I don't think anyone can do a "true" HIIT routine for 20 mins straight.

A tabata HIIT routine is just 4 mins long. Anything 20 mins long is interval training.

The rate of exertion in HIIT for research purposes id 170% of VO2 max. Hard to translate that into a meaningful number that we can all understand but, according to 1 source, this would be equivalent to about 340 watts of effort, which in turn would be equivalent to a calorie burn of over 1500 cals/hr.

That's an incredible level of exertion that few people (usually only elite atheletes) can achieve.

Personally, my max rate of exertion on my rower when doing a tabata "type" routine (30 secs on/30 secs off) for 8 reps is only a little over 1000 cals or 200 watts max.

I'm totally wasted after I do this and can't imagine doing more no matter how hard I train.

I also can't imagine any human being exerting physical effort at a rate of over 1500 cal/hr or 340 watts for 20 mins continuously.

There might be a couple people in the world who could do this (bike racers most likely) but doing this would not be HIIT or interval training.

It would be insanity. LOL! ;)
  • YogiJear
    YogiJear Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! I'm looking to introduce HIIT into my workout plan. Could anyone recommened a workout?

Thank you

1. Download a tabata timer app on your phone
    2. At the end of your workout find a place you can sprint for 20 seconds or a cycling bike
    3. Warm up at a low pace for a few minutes
    4. Run/Bike the tabata interval (20s going as hard as you can, 10s casual pace to catch your breath, done 8 times for 4 minutes)
    5. Cool down for a few minutes
    6. Profit!
  • Missbumble2017
    Missbumble2017 Posts: 4 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    OOH - Drats my post deleted - here goes again../

If you have an OrangeTheory near you - first class is free. Its basically similar to HIIT

.Example.. I go into a class of say 30 people and 1 trainer.... and get on a treadmill and listen to the coach. BAsically I may warm up and the say 2 minutes at base pace, 1 min push pace, and 30 sec all out pace (Faster than you thought you could go :) and there's a device you wear to monitor your heart rate so you are at 84% and above when you are in the HIgher intensity zones. So basically some days are about hill climbing, others are about speed, and others are long base and push pace (endurance) with some all outs. Then after 25-30 minutes you switch to the weight area or rower. Maybe you do an all out row for 300 M followed buy burpees, then mabe planks or plank jacks, or squats. BAsically they demonstrate moves and there's a screen that reminds you of the proper form etc. Small classes too.

I do this about 5 days a week for 60 minutes. Sometimes I do more... sometimes less - but it's changed my fitness immensely and lost weight doing it as well. (Though weight loss was more about food and Jenny Craig than working out). MAintenance however - workouts help!!! And they help with weight loss as well. Good luck!

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    HIIT training?

.... heck, I'm completely gassed just from following this thread.
  • NatalieHarr1993
    NatalieHarr1993 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Most people would be better served by posting what their workout objective is, and seeking input about how best to achieve that objective. In this case, because people use the term "HIIT" for so many different things, we don't really know what OP is seeking.

Things have been proposed from hill sprints to calisthenics circuits. Ya think those might have different effects, at any intensity, including "HIIT"?

OP, what are your goals? Maximum calorie burn for time investment? Shortened workout time investment compared to current workout? VO2 max improvement? Improving some other dimension of athletic performance or fitness?

And what kind of workouts do you do now: What specific activities, for what length of time, and how many times a week? Will you cut back on something else to add "HIIT"? Have you been working out regularly and intensely for a long time, or are you nearer a beginner? How many times a week, and for what length of time, were you planning to spend doing "HIIT"? Did you want to do it at home, in a gym, outdoors?

I'd like to help, truly.

what are your goals? My main goal is to drop 14 lbs in the next 7 months before my wedding
    Maximum calorie burn for time investment? Looking to burn between 300 -500 calories per workout
    Shortened workout time investment compared to current workout? I currently do 30 min strength training & 15 min cardio (Treadmill intervals & cross trainer intervals)
    VO2 Max? I've only recently introduced cardio so at the moment my VO2 max is 27.7 ML/KG/MIN
    What specific activities, for what length of time, and how many times a week? I train 5 days a week (Monday: Back & Cardio, Tuesday: Chest & Cardio, Wednesday: Legs & Arms, Thursday: Shoulders & Cardio, Friday: Core & Cardio). I do a 45 min workout a day (Wednesdays are sometime 1.5 hrs as I'm training both legs & arms).
    Will you cut back on something else to add "HIIT"? I am planning to substitute my 10 min cardio on the treadmill / cross trainer for HIIT
    Have you been working out regularly and intensely for a long time, or are you nearer a beginner? I've been strength training for the past 7 months. I've been adding cardio the past 2 weeks.
    How many times a week, and for what length of time, were you planning to spend doing "HIIT"? 3 days a week for 10 mins at the end of my workout
    Did you want to do it at home, in a gym, outdoors? Gym preferably :smile:

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    HIIT simply isn't a high calorie burn (despite the marketing and people who don't understand the limitations of using heart rate monitors). The rest/recovery periods drag down the average burn.

If you only have a short amount of time (or only want to spend a small amount of time...) then to maximise your burn go as hard as you can maintain for the entire duration of your time available. Beware though that is taxing and will impact your recovery. It's why people limit their maximal effort training and make it just a small part of their training plan.

Example:
    Last night I did interval training with 5 min easy, 3 min hard for an hour. My average power output was 155 watts (558 net cals).
    It felt reasonably hard and would impact me to a small degree if I wanted to cycle again today.
    Steady state at 155 w is just an easy everyday cycling pace for me, can do that for hours with no recovery issues at all. Same duration, less effort, same calories.

If I wanted to go flat out for the whole hour my burn would be c. 210 watts (756 net cals) but that would really cause recovery issues - something to be done rarely.

In exercise there are ways to be more efficient in training but no free lunches!
    For big burns you can't beat longer duration.

PS - why are you doing a body part split for your strength training? That's hugely inefficient compared to full body compound lift workouts. You could get back far more time by changing your strength training rather than your cardio.
  • NatalieHarr1993
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    PS - why are you doing a body part split for your strength training? That's hugely inefficient compared to full body compound lift workouts. You could get back far more time by changing your strength training rather than your cardio.

I use the following formula for my strength training workout: Different body part each day
    Compound
    Compound Variation
    isolation 1
    isolation 2
    isolation 3

Would you recommend different for burning more calories?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

I use the following formula for my strength training workout: Different body part each day
    Compound
    Compound Variation
    isolation 1
    isolation 2
    isolation 3

Would you recommend different for burning more calories?

Spend less time lifting and more time spent doing cardio (which is probably double the burn rate at least).
    All those isolation workouts are hugely inefficient and time consuming as well as being very small calorie burners (the real calorie burn from strength training comes from the amount of weight shifted and in isolation lifts your weights are small).

(Caveat - to me neither strength training or cardio is for calorie burns but I'm working to your agenda not mine.)
  • NatalieHarr1993
    Options
    Spend less time lifting and more time spent doing cardio (which is probably double the burn rate at least).
    All those isolation workouts are hugely inefficient and time consuming as well as being very small calorie burners (the real calorie burn from strength training comes from the amount of weight shifted and in isolation lifts your weights are small).

(Caveat - to me neither strength training or cardio is for calorie burns but I'm working to your agenda not mine.)

Thank you. I'm going to take your advise on board :smile: