Do detox teas really detox you? And what does that mean, anyway?

Options
I've always loved my caffeine free teas. Celestial Seasons and all that. But I decided to try some YOGI detox tea. Well, its got a ton of flavor, I will tell ya that! Kind of spicy actually. But I don't quite understand how the tea "detoxifies" me and what exactly that's all about. Anyone able to put this into layman's terms?

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Senna and some other herbal teas have a laxative it diuretic effect. They do not detox you, you just see a little less weight on the scale temporarily. They're not with the potential health risks from laxative abuse or other side effects.
  • ElizabethHanrahan
    ElizabethHanrahan Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    All "detox" teas are either diuretics or laxatives. There is no reason to drink them unless you like the flavor, and then drink only occasionally. Be careful if one of the first ingredients is senna since this is a laxative.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    You have a liver and kidneys for that. Save your money.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    A tea that claims to do anything other than taste good and caffeinate you is bull. :smiley:

Go back to the good stuff. I love celestial herbal teas. I also love bigelow's herbals, yum.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I've always loved my caffeine free teas. Celestial Seasons and all that. But I decided to try some YOGI detox tea. Well, its got a ton of flavor, I will tell ya that! Kind of spicy actually. But I don't quite understand how the tea "detoxifies" me and what exactly that's all about. Anyone able to put this into layman's terms?

It just makes you poo more. It doesn't really do anything a properly functioning body wouldn't do on it's own, just might speed the process up a bit.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    It's a buzzword. A tea is not going to accomplish anything your kidney(s) and liver aren't already doing. It's basically just...a nicely flavoured, mild laxative. However, for my "regularity" needs, I prefer metamucil.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Your liver will detox your body not a touch of dandelion.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    While I agree that "detox" tea is probably woo (fake), tea in general is not a bad thing. Yogi makes some really excellent flavors, so drink up.
  • maura_tasi
    maura_tasi Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    That yogi detox tea (and any detox tea really) just makes you poop. And it's usually more like diarrhea, not solid (sorry tmi). They just have a mild laxative effect to make it seem like you're "detoxing". I was a firm believer in detoxing a few years ago until I finally realized I was only making myself poop excessively. Your kidneys and liver do all the detoxing your body needs! If you like the taste of it I'm sure it's not a big deal to enjoy a cup or 2 a day, however, I hated the taste and was forcing it down so I stopped drinking it completely.
  • Jonesuna64
    Jonesuna64 Posts: 233 Member
    Options

The body's own detox system

We tend to forget that the body is equipped with a detoxification system of its own, which includes the following:

The skin. The main function of the body's largest organ is to provide a barrier against harmful substances, from bacteria and viruses to heavy metals and chemical toxins. The skin is a one-way defense system; toxins are not eliminated in perspiration.

The respiratory system. Fine hairs inside the nose trap dirt and other large particles that may be inhaled. Smaller particles that make it to the lungs are expelled from the airways in mucus.

The immune system. This exquisitely orchestrated network of cells and molecules is designed to recognize foreign substances and eliminate them from the body. Components of the immune system are at work in blood plasma, in lymph, and even in the small spaces between cells.

The intestines. Peyer's patches — lymph nodes in the small intestine — screen out parasites and other foreign substances before nutrients are absorbed into the blood from the colon.

The liver. Acting as the body's principal filter, the liver produces a family of proteins called metallothioneins, which are also found in the kidneys. Metallothioneins not only metabolize dietary nutrients like copper and zinc but also neutralize harmful metals like lead, cadmium, and mercury to prepare for their elimination from the body. Liver cells also produce groups of enzymes that regulate the metabolism of drugs and are an important part of the body's defense against harmful chemicals and other toxins.

The kidneys. The fact that urine tests are used to screen for drugs and toxins is a testament to the kidneys' remarkable efficiency in filtering out waste substances and moving them out of the body.

The bottom line

The human body can defend itself very well against most environmental insults and the effects of occasional indulgence (see "The body's own detox system"). If you're generally healthy, concentrate on giving your body what it needs to maintain its robust self-cleaning system — a healthful diet, adequate fluid intake, regular exercise, sufficient sleep, and all recommended medical check-ups. If you experience fatigue, pallor, unexplained weight gain or loss, changes in bowel function, or breathing difficulties that persist for days or weeks, visit your doctor instead of a detox spa.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    there's nothing wrong with the tea if you happen to like it, (or are constipated) but the detox on the label is just marketing. If you actually have something inside you that needs detoxing, you need to be in a hospital.
  • eclecticpixxie
    eclecticpixxie Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I had bought some to try and as you said, laxative city! So I think I'll hang on to it for constipation purposes only.
  • dfein001
    dfein001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    The key is pooping. Good bowel movements eject a lot of crap from your intestines. I always feel fresh after one.... I then proceed to eat feeling like I am planting an all new micro-biome.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

It just makes you poo more. .

They didnt even do that for me! I bought a couple of these teas for specifically this purpose and they made no difference at all :(

• eclecticpixxie
    eclecticpixxie Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I decided after reading everyone's responses, just to set the detox tea aside for backed up days. Its never a bad idea to try something new but I think in this case it could be something useful but not on a regular basis. Besides, it doesn't taste nearly as good as the fruit teas and chamomile

Thanks for the responses!