[Movie] Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead

Options
So I'm not sure if anyone has had the opportunity to watch this documentary but I haven't even heard of it until the other day. I know it's really big and popular, but I figure that if I hadn't seen it before this past week... There must be other people in the MFP community (and world) who could find this documentary useful!

Basically a really brief synopsis of the movie (taken right from Netflix):
"Focusing on two men whose bodies have been trashed by steroids, obesity and illness, this documentary chronicles the rigorous healing path -- including a two-month diet of fruits and vegetables -- that both attempt in a bid to rescue their health."

I was skeptical of watching this at first but felt compelled to at least sample a piece of it as I rarely see anything on Netflix receive 5 stars. They follow the man character, Joe, around the country as he attempts to encourage people to live healthier lifestyles by dropping the burger and picking up vegetable/fruit smoothies in an effort to detox and rid their bodies of the foods that we've grown to love (unfortunately).

After watching this movie, I've decided to invest in a Breville juicer, similar to the one he carries around with him throughout this documentary. I chose Breville because I believe that the quality of their products are exceptional. Even in my company's own field of expertise, Breville seems to beat us out (in my opinion).

What makes this so inspiring, for me, is that Joe is a regular guy.. he isn't a fitness expert or trainer but actually runs his own investment firm. Joe started this at 40 years of age. Even random people he meets off the streets follow his lead in, what he refers to, 'juicing.'

I highly recommend anyone who is reading this post to consider watching this documentary on Netflix. Add it to your instant queue!

Here are some links that I think you guys might find inspiring:

A Fox News interview with Joe (he goes through the rundown of this reboot program):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYBpTHZX9NA
^^Side note, I saw this video for the first time today and he looks incredible as compared to when he first started and ended the documentary (and he looked great at the end of the documentary too!)

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9SGWcZwk7c

Success story:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC8dz3xg7LU

Replies

• fmw1984
    fmw1984 Posts: 6
    Options
    I saw the movie and was also inspired. I now try to drink juice 2 a week and eat fresh vegetables daily!!
  • carlxo21
    carlxo21 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Maybe this will motivate my SO to hit the gym with me. = )

thanks!
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I loved this movie. I bought a juicer also, but got the Jack Lalanne one from walmart. I LOVE making apple juice with it (Because that's my fav thing in the whole world.) It's fun to make different concoctions and see what comes out. :)
  • vdavis_89
    vdavis_89 Posts: 334
    Options
    I watched it a few weeks ago... after watching 2 other docs along these lines. I found it extremely inspiring but I dont have the money for a juicer... or the counter space lol
  • oxavecamourxo
    oxavecamourxo Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I liked that documentary & have a juicer but hardly ever use it. I might start using it again once I get the change (it's packed away for a few months). Until then, I will continue to eat TONS of fresh veggies. :)
  • atd81
    atd81 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Loved this movie, watching him through his journey and how he inspired others into living a healthier lifestyle. Everyone should see it IMHO
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend the documentary "Fat Head," it's also available on both Netflix and Hulu.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i thought it was fantastic. i'm not much of a juicer, but i do drink a kale-based smoothie every single day and i have noticed not only do i get a good portion of my greens in, my skin looks more radiant, my body is shifting more considerably and my poops are AMAZING.

the movie made me tear up in a couple spots and i loved how the second guy became so passionate about health in general. it wasn't only his body that improved; it was his entire being.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    i watched that movie, but it is totally not something that is ment for me. I could not survive on that diet. I have an extremely low percent body fat, and I workout extreme amounts everyday. My body needs WAYY more protein than what is in fruits and veggies ;)
    but i would say most people could benefit from this. but not me.
  • cdupuie84
    Options
    OMG! My hubby & I just watched it. We are doing the 10 day challenge next week.
  • jgaht
    jgaht Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed the movie too! If I had the money, I would buy a juicer and "juice" it every now and then. I feel like it's a great idea for someone starting out, or when you hit a plateau. However, I'd definitely make sure to talk to your doctor about it.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the typical cost of a high quality juicer?
  • 1goodymom67
    Options
    I have seen it. I thought it was amazing. This guy really changed his life. At first, i thought it was going to be one of those Loss weight WOOHOO for me and didn't exercise or really change my life BLAH BLAH BLAH. But when he actually had a change in his eating habits and exericsed, good for him!!. I really like to see these things a year after b/c I want to know if they have 1 kept it off and 2 if it really changed their life. I just fully and totally belive that weight loss isn't a once a year thing, deprive yourself and then go back to your life and wonder why or how did I gain this weigh back and then some. There has to be balance. My personal opinion..which mean absolutley nothing!!
  • carloP90X
    carloP90X Posts: 109
    Options
    Saw the movie a few months ago on Netflix and it was very inspiring and thought provoking. I highly recommend anyone who doesn't have their nutrition plan down or working out/eating clean and cannot lose the fat to watch, learn and apply from this documentary. I plan to start reboot as soon as my current nutrition plan stops giving me the results.
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    One of the issues that I am running into with all of this is a few things...

- This lifestyle is expensive, at one point in the documentary they say that it costs about $14/day (I guess it depends on what you do)
    - The juicer itself is expensive! I'm looking at the Breville's now and the one that I'd like to get is $150 (cheapest). The most expensive one cost $499.
    - I'm not 100% confident enough in myself that I will be able to juice for a minimum of 10 days. I eat animals like I'm celebrating shark week... every week.
    - I'm easily influenced by those around me, it wouldn't take much for someone to get me to go bar hopping.. when I start drinking, I eat excessive amounts of food and start smoking.

A few concerns I've had, anyways.
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed the movie too! If I had the money, I would buy a juicer and "juice" it every now and then. I feel like it's a great idea for someone starting out, or when you hit a plateau. However, I'd definitely make sure to talk to your doctor about it.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the typical cost of a high quality juicer?

http://www.brevilleusa.com/affiliate/landing/JoinTheReboot

Here's a good place to start. I haven't conducted enough research on juicers yet so I don't know if the price is totally worth it. I've looked at jcpenny's and found juicers for $50. Sometimes the extra price is worth the great quality.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    One of the issues that I am running into with all of this is a few things...

- This lifestyle is expensive, at one point in the documentary they say that it costs about $14/day (I guess it depends on what you do)

$14/day isn't expensive at all - especially when you consider the nutrition one is getting from it. consider how much one fast food meal costs (i think around $7).

but i think this kind of diet is best used under the care of a doctor. the fast is a great idea for anyone who has to take medications that are curable by diet adjustments and/or is severely overweight. otherwise, juicing is a great, great idea to add to your daily but not restrict regular food unless under the care of a doctor.