Anyone else missing soda?

Options
So I decided to cut out caffiene and sugar a month ago. I did pretty good until a few mornings ago I was exhausted and could barely get out of bed.

I have officially replaced my 5 cups of coffee per day with 3packets of splenda to 1 cup of green tea by 6am with one packet of stevia.

But the sodas. O man I have been a diet coke addict since age 22. Today I found "Spinddrift sparkeling waters"
Zero sodium. Zero Calories. Zero but sparkeling water and hint of Lemon, or Cucumber, or Grapefruit, or Blackberry, Raspberry.

It's delicious.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    This time around I have aimed to not cut out anything for no good reason, and sticking to more reasonable (for me) boundaries. I don't miss anything, and especially not soda. I have maybe one bottle per year, now.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    Nope. I have a cherry coke (no diet sodas) every single day, and a large, very strong coffee every morning.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    I used to be addicted to Mt. Dew. Trying to cut it out was really hard for me.

I made up for the caffeine with coffee (still want my coffee most days), but I was still struggling. Tried water, flavored water, Mio, etc.

Tried a fizzy water - yup, that was it. Bubbles. I needed bubbles. Once I discovered that, giving up soda (other than a very rare occasion) was super easy.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I drink Diet Coke or Diet Mt. Dew daily. Usually one in the afternoon with my snack.
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I drink Coke Zero on a daily basis, usually a 1.5 litre bottle, over ice with a slice of lemon

feel the best I've done in years because I lost a bunch of weight
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I drink Diet Coke or Diet Mt. Dew daily. Usually one in the afternoon with my snack.

This is me. A diet coke or diet Mt. Dew always goes with my afternoon snack. Plus coffee in the AM.
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I gave up soda and caffeine in September in order to have bariatric surgery (no carbonation, no caffeine). I haven't had either one since, and I don't plan to add it back to my diet. I do miss soda sometimes, but I know it's a slippery slope for me. It's the one thing I really can't control, and I know if I have one, I'm just going to want more. I went through major caffeine withdrawals when I gave it up, and I don't really ever want to deal with that again. Yikes!!
  • Cyclone2011
    Cyclone2011 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I cut out pop because it was becoming a major problem. For me it's just best to cut it out, get over the caffeine headaches or replace with coffee, and forget about it. I was a serious Dr. Pepper addict.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Do you have caffeine-free Diet Coke where you live? I'm personally crazy for carbonated water. I keep a keg in my fridge. I'm confused by the green tea though. Are you trying to cut back on caffeine to once a day?
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I switched from regular Coke to Coke Zero to save the calories, but I'm too much of a caffeine addict to give that up. I've quit caffeine before, and the benefit was that I didn't get withdrawal headaches in the afternoon if I missed my Coke in the morning.
    toxikon wrote: »
    I usually have a diet coke once a day. I'm really excited for the new flavours coming out!

I basically make my own version of those already. I keep a few of those Kool-Aid flavoring squeeze bottles on hand and often squirt a little into the can.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    I usually have a diet coke once a day. I'm really excited for the new flavours coming out!

I don't see why you felt the need to cut out caffeine and sugar, but if that's your choice, that's your choice!

Ginger Lime - can’t wait!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Not even a little bit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I usually have a black cherry/lime Fresca with lunch...it's also a nice cocktail mixer with vodka...
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Nope, don't miss it at all and I don't drink it anymore. I used to drink Diet Coke every day and just decided I needed more water instead. That decision was simply based on getting more H2O. After a couple months I had a Diet Coke and it tasted so overwhelmingly sweet and strange that I've never gone back.

I do enjoy the zero calorie sparkling waters because well, zero calories and WATER! Plus they taste pretty good mixed with white wine! ;)
  • rjhauf
    rjhauf Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do what I do with caffeine. I work long hours, and often that pre-workout caffeine and amino acid boost I get is what allows me to go hard when I am at the gym at night after work. Just an FYI there is no sugar in diet soda, and caffeine (coffee specifically) has been proven to have a host of health benefits. If you prefer Stevia as your artificial sweetner check out Coca-Cola Life. Its a diet coke but sweetened with stevia (although 8 ounces has 60 cals). Thats why I prefer my diet soda or black coffee. Good Luck on your fitness and nutrition goals!
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Do you have caffeine-free Diet Coke where you live? I'm personally crazy for carbonated water. I keep a keg in my fridge. I'm confused by the green tea though. Are you trying to cut back on caffeine to once a day?

I would like to 100% eliminate it. But for now, I'm going to once a day smallest dose possible.

I am a LONG LONG time consumer of heavy amounts of caffeine. At one point in my life I was consuming as many as 800mg of caffiene (and that is a conservative estimate)

I'm on a stressful project right now so I figure once it's over I'll cut the rest out. My guess is that cutting out 25mg will be a lot easier than cutting out 700.