Starbucks

Options
I asked for the lowest calories creamer today and she said it was heavy whipping cream...is that right? I'm worried I just blew my calories for the day

Replies

• onematch
    onematch Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Do you mean just cream for your coffee? Just use skim milk.
    Whipping cream is just for whipped cream, right? I used to work at Starbucks and we had heavy cream for whipped cream, then for creamers: regular milk, skim milk, and regular cream.
  • megs_1985
    megs_1985 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    No way. Heavy whipping cream is like 50% fat. Just use whole milk. Half and half is about 20 calories per tablespoon. I guess if you only used a tablespoon it wasn’t bad. At least it wasn’t like the time I bought hot chocolate and it was really delicious so then I asked the guy what was in it and he said half and half. I had just drank a whole cup of half and half with chocolate!!!! It was super good though.
  • G8r4evr
    G8r4evr Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I wonder how much they put in this thing. ☺️
  • Mintpafu
    Mintpafu Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Heavy whipping cream is a really good option for anyone doing a low carb diet/keto (I order it), but it's definitely a bit calorie dense. Either way, depending on what you ordered, it shouldn't be such a huge amount of calories that it would make or break a day.
  • MarylandRose
    MarylandRose Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    onematch wrote: »
    Do you mean just cream for your coffee? Just use skim milk.
    Whipping cream is just for whipped cream, right?

I put heavy whipping cream in my coffee (unwhipped) at the holidays sometimes. The usual scenario is that we're at someone's house and they're apologizing because they don't have anything else to use as cream in the coffee. I happily accept - the fat content makes it the most luxurious cup of coffee ever.
    I don't like bulletproof coffee, but it's the same idea - putting fat in coffee makes it rich and creamy and brings out some really delicious notes in the beans.

For a treat, skim just doesn't cut it. But for a daily coffee, yeah, skim is the way to go...or plant milks. I enjoy a lot of Starbucks drinks with coconut milk instead of dairy for the flavor (no lactose issues here).

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    You can also just ask them to leave room and add your own half and half at the bar... that way you have an idea how much is going in
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Heavy cream isn’t that bad considering you don’t need to add very much.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I worked at Starbucks for a while when the Atkins diet was all the rage. People would come in wanting the "diet" drink--lattes made with heavy cream. Not so much a diet drink to my way of thinking! I don't drink coffee but I do add milk to my tea, usually fat free or 1%. I have found I don't like the taste when I add cream or half and half.