Some insight please!

Options
I am new to healthy eating and working out for about 2 months now. I am 30 years old about 135lb give or take and 5'6 tall. I want to be at 125lbs, but I want to lose weight and gain muscle. I can't figure out the formula to do this. How many calories should I be eating a day to obtain this, how much cardio should I actually be doing in order not to lose muscle, how much protein and carbs do I need??? I am just so confused and feeling like giving up everytime I hit Google to figure this all out, it's like I can't get a straight answer, every answer is different and confusing. What about BMR do I need to take that into consideration? Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Set your goal to lose half a pound a week. Get at least .8 grams of protein per pound of lean mass. Do whatever cardio you enjoy that challenges you, but you’ll want to start a progressive strength training plan for muscle retention. It’s extremely difficult to gain muscle in a calorie deficit, but you can always recomp when you hit your goal weight (or even now, since you’re in the middle of a healthy BMI).
  • ripeglow
    ripeglow Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Right now, I really want to start seeing some definition, like my butt and my abs and arms, that's building muscle Right? Say my BMR is 1352 and my TDEE is 2231? What should I do right now? I set my goal at .5 lbs and it's giving me around 1720 (approx. Have to switch over to confirm).
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Two of the same threads? My answers are in your other one.
  • ripeglow
    Options
    Yes, sorry I posted this at the same time as I wasn't sure which category to pick and decided to respond back
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Extra emphasis on a progressive lifting program. If you want to retain and even start building once you finish deficit a lifting program is a extreme must. Cardio is good for cardiovascular health, but the odds of building any muscle from that is very slim.

Everything else has already been answered.
  • ripeglow
    Options
    Thank you everyone, sorry about the double posting! Appreciate the input very much.