On Day 5...

Options
Hello... I'm Kerri in Oregon. I've always been overweight and while I'm not at my heaviest right now, it's pretty bad. At this point, I just want to see where my 17YO son goes in his life and to do that long-term, changes need to be made. My husband, son, and I are doing a kind of Atkins diet. Low carb, high protein, moderate fat. We're using MFP as a family to all lose weight and become more healthy. It's hard to undo 50 years of bad habits, though, but I feel positive this is the right path.

So far, I'm doing good. Still exploring appropriate snacks to get enough calories. Seems I'm either eating 4000 calories with bad food or 1300 with good. :-) So we're working on that now, as of Day 5. I don't like scales so I'm relying on clothes and non-scale victories for the foreseeable future to show me how I'm doing.

Glad to be among friends here. :-)

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Becoming more healthy is a lot about finding your balance. And that's a challenge - even though balance feels wonderful, it's easier to lean to one side or the other. One of the things that have helped me, is to get rid of the concept of healthy vs unhealthy food, and see my diet and life as a whole, and over time. All foods can be eaten in moderation. But some foods are more difficult to moderate. A surprising - but reasonable when you think about it - idea, is that it's the demonizing of foods makes us prone to overeating, not just that they taste so good. Food is good and should taste good. A diet you're sticking to just to lose weight, is no good for long term, and nothing really works if it doesn't work long term.

Welcome to MFP :)
  • OnthatStuff
    OnthatStuff Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    You've got a massive team behind you. Welcome to the party, Kerri from Oregon!
  • Doesntplaynice82
    Doesntplaynice82 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 4 of Atkins and never realized how many carbs I was eating until now! Once I started following (doing the 40 plan) I can't seem to get to 40 grams of carbs! (net). I love the Atkins bars because it helps with my sweet tooth which is my biggest problem. So if you haven't tried some of the bars and shakes give it a go, I love them.! Good luck!