Shirratake Noodles

Options
Tell me about this please...I am on a low carb diet, can anyone offer insight on this amazing low cal noodle wonder?????

Replies

• dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I love them! Just give them a good rinse and they're super delish!
  • GoldenGirl1979
    GoldenGirl1979 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    BUMP! i'd like to know more too! i've been to the website... i've heard the testimonials... but i'd like to hear from a "real person" if they're any good :-)
  • kittyhorn
    kittyhorn Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm in Canada and have to take a trip over the border to get them. I love that I can eat the whole bag without much calorie damage and some fibre. They aren't really good with traditional tomato sauces but really good if you mix up a sauce with laughing cow wedges. Hungry Girl has a recipe that is printed on the bag.

I wish I could get them here!
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I hated them. I rinsed them for 10 minutes (left faucet poring over them), fried them to dry them out a bit (the instructions sent via email say to do this), and covered them in sauce. The end result for me were flavorless rubber bands.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I love them! Just give them a good rinse and they're super delish!

This is what I do, too!

DO NOT SNIFF UNTIL YOU DRAIN AND RINSE - otherwise you'll never want to eat them :tongue:

I just rinse them really well (for a few minutes) and use them as-is. If I want them hot I rinse them under hot water.

Pat them dry if you want the sauce to stick better - otherwise I swear they repel sauce! They have a bit of a weird texture - but being able to eat a whole package of them guilt-free makes their idiosyncrasies MORE than worth it!

Enjoy!
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    i love them.
    i rinse my well, then microwave them for a minute or two, then strain them again because they will release a little moisture.
    then i just toss them into some light Alfredo sauce with veggies. VERY YUMMY!!!!
  • chicago_dad
    Options
    Bc I >3 MFP so much (seriously!), I click on the ads around the page. I think everyone should do this to support MFP-- if you like that it's FREE, (I do!), click on the links-- that's how they make $ off of running the site!

So, I clicked a Miraclenoodle.com ad, and ended up buying a bunch of the black noodles and the white ones. The good news: They are super low cal/ low carb. They are palatable. They go well in stir-fries as a substitute for other starches or as a substitute for shredded cabbage (my previous fav. noodle/ rice substitute).

The bad news: they come in some stinky water that may irk some folks. It's unexpected if you don't know this. The noodles DO NOT have the same texture as noodles from your favorite Chinese restaurant. At all. They are more like cellophane noodles than traditional noodles.
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Rinse well, as was mentioned. I also like to "dry fry" them in a pan for a bit before adding them to my stir-fry. I love 'em though I love cellophane noodles so the texture doesn't bother me.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    People seem to love them or hate them. And to further confuse matters there are a couple of different types. The most common ones are tofu and yam.

A lot of people complain about texture and smell with the tofu ones. I experimented with them quite a bit, and found that they seem to work best in dishes w/heavy sauces and you have to "cook" them a bit both before and then again in the sauce. I haven't felt compelled to make them a staple of my diet. I finally found some yam noodles a few months ago though, and they don't seem to have the texture and smell issue. They are just like cellophane noodles, if you have ever had those, so they work really well in Asian food.

Your grocery store may have them near the tofu/vegan products. I know I have bought the tofu noodles @ Harris Teeter and Whole Foods. I got the yam noodles from my local "international" store, that happens to have a a LOT of Asian products.

In fact I am having a BIG bowl of thai style vegetables and noodles for lunch (way less than 300 cals) and almost half of that is the oil that I used to sautee the veggies in.
  • lublin1987
    Options
    You can get them here they sell them at Oceans store got them yesterday very good
  • jatcat310
    Options
    You guys rock!! Thank you so much for all the great ideas and feedback....I am off to the grocery to get them tomorrow!

:flowerforyou:
  • jatcat310
    Options
    @Chicago_Dad, the ad was at the top of the screen and I clicked it! I cannot believe all the variations! I thought they were just noodles, but there is even rigatoni!!!
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I think they're great! The first couple times I made them I didn't microwave them first, and they were too chewy and damp. Now I microwave them, then strain them.

They don't completely replace actual noodles for me, but I like mixing them up with veggies and different sauces, and they work just fine (and a whole package for 40 cals!!) I just did one with a sauce made from the laughing cow cheese wedges and non-fat milk with some veggies, and my 13 yr old son even said it wasn't too bad. Sometimes I'll mix the spaghetti noodles in with a serving of real noodles, so I still feel like I'm getting my carb fix, but I can eat a ton more food that way.

I just saw a new brand at Safeway that is supposed to eliminate the need for boiling.microwaving and the smell.
  • Monika135
    Options
    I love these noodles!
    I like to to "dry" pan fry the noodles with fresh garlic and oregano, then add some spray butter and a little sea salt...then...
    Try pairing them with Trader Joe's - "Just Sauce" Turkey Bolognese, 80 calories in the sauce (has meat too) and 40 calories for the whole package of noodles~ add about 3-6 tsp of grated parmesean and wah-lah!!!! YUMMY!! LOW CAL AND LOW CARB and good PROTIEN perfect....
  • HoLLyZ82
    HoLLyZ82 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    the first time i had them...ok the only time i had them i about ralphed from the smell becaus ei cant stand fish and thats what they smelled like. i rinsed them well and microwaved them. after that the smell was gone for the most part but i kept thinking about it so it was hard to get down. they are definitely different than good ol regular noodles but i suppose they work. i might try mixing half and half next time.
  • mleb2005
    mleb2005 Posts: 45
    Options
    If you are looking for a good low carb noodle, try Dreamfield Pasta. They are made for diabetics, yet they taste like normal noodles! We love them. They really cut down on the carbs and calories compare to normal or even whole wheat noodles. They can usually be found in the health food sections at most grocery stores (except wal-mart, they don't sell them),
  • craftykimmer
    craftykimmer Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I tried to like these, I wanted to like them, but end the end, I couldn't get past the weird flavor and texture. And they are too much of a pain to rinse and dry, etc. Icky