Charley Horse

So, I was at the gym yesterday for a leg day (I do legs/glutes 3x a week) and everything went well. After, I took off my Chucks and flexed my foot to put on my boots to leave. The flex caused an awful charley horse. I sometimes get them in the middle of the night, though not any time recently.

I've been doing research online and trying to figure out the best way to prevent them. I'm wondering if I have an electrolyte imbalance, as I'm constantly thirsty (dry office) and end up drinking about a gallon of water a day. Any thoughts would help, thanks!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I used to get them a lot...for one thing, I had cut my sodium too low for my activity and what I was sweating out...that seemed to help, but I was still having some cramping going on when I did longer rides, etc...my trainer suggested trying a magnesium supplement and I haven't really had many issues since.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I used to get them a lot...for one thing, I had cut my sodium too low for my activity and what I was sweating out...that seemed to help, but I was still having some cramping going on when I did longer rides, etc...my trainer suggested trying a magnesium supplement and I haven't really had many issues since.

Thanks, I'll look into that.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,016 Member
    edited January 2018
    So, I was at the gym yesterday for a leg day (I do legs/glutes 3x a week) and everything went well. After, I took off my Chucks and flexed my foot to put on my boots to leave. The flex caused an awful charley horse. I sometimes get them in the middle of the night, though not any time recently.

I've been doing research online and trying to figure out the best way to prevent them. I'm wondering if I have an electrolyte imbalance, as I'm constantly thirsty (dry office) and end up drinking about a gallon of water a day. Any thoughts would help, thanks!
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Thanks, I'll look into that.

I agree on the sodium. When you are drinking so so much water but don't have enough sodium intake, you flush more electrolytes. There is such thing as drinking too much water in this case. Increase sodium. 30min before exercise get a big bump, you can make your own calorie free "gatorade." Water + Mio + 1/4tsp salt. I'd do it another time in the day as well. And also 2nding the magnesium supplementation. Pills are ok. They also have a magnesium oil you can rub into your skin, which I have handy in case I still don't have enough mag, to rub in during a cramp. Go cautiously on the oral mag supplementation though. Up it slowly, because it can also give you the runs if you take too much at once. So take 200mg, and then inch it up from there to up to 300-400mg...s l o w l y to reach your tolerance level. I rarely have muscle cramps when I keep my electrolytes on par. If I have a night cramp now, it's because some DA had caffeine too late in the evening or didn't take her salt and mag. And that's her own dumb fault. :smirk:
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Yep. I take magnesium for that reason.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Drink pickle juice. Sleep with a bar of soap near your legs. And if you notice a certain activity or intensity level causing the Charley Horses, don't do them!!!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Drink pickle juice. Sleep with a bar of soap near your legs. And if you notice a certain activity or intensity level causing the Charley Horses, don't do them!!!

Someone explain this to me.

wzb3od7lgdjr.jpg
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,016 Member

wzb3od7lgdjr.jpg
    :noway: It defies explanation.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    baconslave wrote: »

wzb3od7lgdjr.jpg
    :noway: It defies explanation.

Someone at work told me to do this as well. I think I may have actually made that face in real life.
  • Lisa8823168
    Lisa8823168 Posts: 139 Member
    I increased sodium due to sweat, started magnesium at a low dose and made sure potassium was good. On days I don't eat potassium rich foods, I supplement. Nothing in major dose in any direction, just monitored it and tweaked it. Figured out my magic formula.

These also work good for menopausal women who suffer from muscle cramping and night sweats.