Are there any beginner calisthenic programmes that only require 2 days a week?

Options
And when I say beginner, I mean beginner.

I've been losing weight recently through thai boxing, and I've lost roughly (I don't weigh often) 3 stone in 8 months. Feeling great, much lighter, have way more stamina and I'm really getting into boxing.

I've always wanted to lose weight (I started at 17St, 2, so not HUGE (5'11" and very stocky) but I had a stomach coming along). I'm super happy with my results so far, and want to cement my weight loss, further lose weight, and raise a little money for something close to home at the moment. So I've decided to attempt a lot of 10Ks and possibly a half marathon towards the end of the year. My running has been put on hold due to my entirely flat feet (I've never ran more than 5K on account of the pains my feet have caused, but I believe it's lifting through weight loss, so I'm more determined to push through and train for 10Ks).

I box Tuesday night (1 hr), Wednesday night (2hr, 1 hr sparring and 1 hr weight training in a circuit), Thursday night (1 hr), and Sunday morning (2hr, 1 hr hardcore fitness and 1 hr sparring), and work a 9-5 in the week. I've found that waking up early (5am) lets me head to the gym before work to get a run in (so I can get back into it regularly and start really training for some 10Ks). So, as I'm way lighter than the last time I tried to do calisthenics/running, I figured it may be time to work that into my current routine. At the moment, I've set aside Tuesday and Friday mornings for this.

We're getting to the point, I promise. What I'm asking, is, (I told you!) are there efficient calisthenics programmes that I can do in 30mins-45 mins (the time isn't important, the content is) after or before a morning run, so I can work towards my goal of being able to create a very strong, lean body (to compliment my boxing, running and bouldering (when I gain enough bulk on my lats to carry me)). The end game is to maintain boxing, possibly dropping a day, and move to 2-3 days in the gym to continue running and calisthenics (and when I'm good at it, in the summer, cancel my gym subscription and get a pull-up rack for outdoor gains).

I figure a upper/lower split is the way to go, but I really don't know much about starting out at this sort of thing. The circuit on a Wednesday is not hardcore, but it does work the entire body, so my back/shoulders get covered as well as upper/lower. This means that I can split a workout and maintain efficiency in that I'm hitting all major muscle groups as well as continuing to tone, build muscle and resistance train my muscles boxing too.

I can do probably 3 clean pull-ups (with some leg assist, i.e. a jump) and maybe 5 shaky dips, so I'm very aware I'm starting from the bottom, and want something to work towards.

TL,DR: I'm looking for a good beginners calisthenics programme to work out 2x a week with a morning run alongside my boxing training so I can really transform my body this year. My week would look something like this (if my chosen days work - Unsure about a tuesday programme into a fairly heavy boxing day on the Weds, but w/e):

Monday: The office runs a football group, in 10 week slots, and will run throughout the year.
Tuesday: Morning: Run, upper body calisthenics (1-1:30hr), Evening: Boxing (1hr)
Wednesday: Boxing (1hr), full body Hiit circuit (1hr)
Thursday: Boxing (1hr)
Friday: Morning: Run, lower body calisthenics (1-1:30 hr)
Saturday: Full rest
Sunday: Morning: Boxing (2hr)

I'm just looking to get my foot in the door with beginning to train my body using calisthenics alongside my running and boxing goals. My overall body goals are to lose a further 2St by August (putting me at 12 St, from 17) and to have worked my upper body in the gym and be able to do 10 clean pull-ups, from the floor, no leg assist.

If anyone has tips, programmes, or advice on the days I've chosen for my gym days (these are entirely changaeable, I'm not attached to either of those) then it would be great to hear off you. I appreciate this is a heavy post - I tried to put as much info in as possible so you can give me real constructive advice.

If anyone read the lot - thanks a bunch (and impressive) - Help me get my body going in the right direction (I may be going to Ayia Napa in August, so I wanna be hench, y'know :D).

P.S. 23 y/o if this helps at all.

Thanks! :)

Replies

• ldeoprecor
    ldeoprecor Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Bar Brothers Groningen has a fairly good beginner's workout set for calisthenics that COULD fit your schedule. Just know that dedicating 2 days per week to calisthenics is going to yield some fairly slow progress. Especially if you're only able to do 3 pulls, and 5ish dips.

For example, you've slotted yourself a hour and a half for running and calisthenics. That's a lot of calisthenics work, if your max running distance is a 5k. And, at a 5 dip max, you're either taking a lot of rest between sets, or, you can only do so much calisthenics work until your strength gives out.

Personally, I would suggest focusing on one or two aspects of exercise and stick with those. It's difficult enough to be in a calorie deficit, run, and make strength gains (plenty of people are going to jump all over this, but at your level, you'll gain beginner's strength at a deficit up to a point). Throwing in another focus is a LOT.
  • matt_lindsey1994
    matt_lindsey1994 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yeah i see your point, the thing is, muscle gains and high stamina go hand-in-hand with boxing. The longer you can go for, and the more hits you can pull off/take all help. Losing weight is the by product of boxing. I'll always be running (increasing distance and pace) and weight training (especially core area, but upper body and lower body benefit) as they all contribute to getting more out of my sessions at boxing, and every aspect of what I want to do is used by a boxer - in effect, i'm creating the best possible vessel to further my boxing. Not for a career, or to fight, but to get in shape (and stay there).

The timing I supplied is only a guideline. I'd more likely do a half hour run and maybe half hour calisthenics, possibly shorter (i haven't looked at any programmes recently). And my Sunday session has fitness geared towards muscle building (lots of hiit sequences at a very fast pace), I just don't get the chance to do pull-ups and whatnot.

I could leave out body weight training, but I've always wanted to be able to do it is all.

Thanks for your comment anyway - I'll look into the link you provided and make my mind up